Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
The vast majority of Christians don't believe in that left behind style future millennium. That is not Christian doctrine. That's a fringe fundamentalist/JW belief.
It's a major part of the belief in many American churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's a major part of the belief in many American churches.
Yes, these strange beliefs are largely an American fundamentalist phenomenon.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
The vast majority of Christians don't believe in that left behind style future millennium. That is not Christian doctrine. That's a fringe fundamentalist/JW belief.
Lol...Obviously you don't know a whit about JWs...You're thinking of Pentecostals and non-denominational...They're big on that stuff...

Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It is false and not biblical because all throughout the New Testament it is emphasized that Jesus is not about "worldly" powers. Rather it seems to be describing an inner strength. Something inside of yourself which is not affected by worldly powers.
I don't understand what you mean by the "inner strength".

Fact is, no--we are not to be about worldly powers. We are not in charge, and we are to submit to God. Did Jesus come to set up an earthly kingdom? Not yet. He will...but it's not us that will do that. HE will do it all when he comes back.
Quote:
Yet, Christians are always talking about the future millennial reign when it is all about WORLDLY powers and that sort of thing. Reigning as a worldly king alongside Jesus who will possess super-worldly strength and powers beyond belief.
I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that Jesus needs my help governing when he returns.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
This is really one for the Christians of various stripe to thrash out between themselves, because unbelievers will hardly need to be asked whether there is a discrepancy today between Christianity as it is and what is in the Gospels, let alone the rest of the bible.

But just the arguing about whether this or that practice or belief in Biblical or not answers the question. If one denomination is doing Biblical stuff, then plainly the others are not. Just the same point in 'Which God?' If jut One god and religion are right, then all the others are wrong.

It's why irreligion at least is growing and why the religious only fail to see the problem here through varying degrees of Faith -based myopia.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I don't understand what you mean by the "inner strength".

Fact is, no--we are not to be about worldly powers. We are not in charge, and we are to submit to God. Did Jesus come to set up an earthly kingdom? Not yet. He will...but it's not us that will do that. HE will do it all when he comes back.

I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that Jesus needs my help governing when he returns.
Where does it state that he will return???...

Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Lol...Obviously you don't know a whit about JWs...You're thinking of Pentecostals and non-denominational...They're big on that stuff...
You don't class pentecostals and non-denoms as fundamentalists? Where else do they fit in? Are they in some class by themselves to you?
I'm no authority on JWs but they seem to be premillennialists who think that a certain number of their group will judge the rest of us and rule over the world.

In any case, the left-behind future millennium beliefs are an American innovation held by a minority of Christians.
This is a big world. American fundamentalism is a very small part of it. Don't know why so many CD religion forum posters seem so obsessed by them and their beliefs.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is really one for the Christians of various stripe to thrash out between themselves, because unbelievers will hardly need to be asked whether there is a discrepancy today between Christianity as it is and what is in the Gospels, let alone the rest of the bible.

But just the arguing about whether this or that practice or belief in Biblical or not answers the question. If one denomination is doing Biblical stuff, then plainly the others are not. Just the same point in 'Which God?' If jut One god and religion are right, then all the others are wrong.

It's why irreligion at least is growing and why the religious only fail to see the problem here through varying degrees of Faith -based myopia.
The 1000 year reign of Christ is a minor detail in regards to Christian denominations. I still regard as my Chrstian brothers and sisters those who do NOT believe as I do about this.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Hogwash, my friend. I'm a licensed Southern Baptist minister and took Bible courses at a Southern Baptist University. It is exactly what that largest Protestant denomination (about 14-16 million) believes.

I'm no longer SB and I don't fret over what I now consider a trivial doctrine, but it is very important to some.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What Christians are saying this? Name them specifically.

There's nothing in the Bible that endorses and promotes that insane concept. Jesus' words indicate only a future heavenly kingdom, strictly spiritual and of God. Worldliness and world powers are criticized throughout the Bible.

I'm familiar with a lot of what is going on, and although there are kooks and weirdos all around, I see no trend or movement like you are describing. Either you made it up, dreamed it up, or you've been hanging around or listening to the tiny percentage of the biggest nutjobs out there.

Unless you provide specifics and evidence of your claims, we can only ignore what you are saying as being groundless and meritless.
I have heard of this worldly kingdom from Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality