Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Due to the strangeness of how my mind works I have another peculiar question. Those who believe in the existence of Adam and Eve as described in Genesis know that God is supposed to have made Eve from one of Adam's ribs because God thought he needed a companion but I don't recall that it ever says that they were actually married. If they were married there wouldn't have been any other human beings to conduct the ceremony so I can only assume that God would have performed the ceremony and the entire human population would have been present which of course was only two people. That brings up another interesting thought. People have expressed the opinion many times that the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve became couples and populated the earth with human beings. If this is the case would there also have been a wedding ceremony between brothers and sisters, something which is illegal today? I'm always trying to think of tricky questions as you can probably tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times
Oy MG, I think we may need to do an intervention with you ....you're in serious need of some extracurricular activities to keep your mind from thinking of these silly questions... ...where's June when you need her??

I think the actual marriage ceremony is something that was "invented" long after Adam and Eve were created.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM

24 posts, read 28,548 times
Do you want the "spirit filled" answer or the straight answer?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Terry05 wrote:
Quote:
Do you want the "spirit filled" answer or the straight answer?
The straight answer would be just fine.
Even though my OP is a little odd it does bring up the point that The Bible clearly states that fornication is a sin. Adultery wouldn't have been possible of course with just the two of them. I don't recall that the Bible mentions anything about when the tradition of marriage began so I'm just assuming that if Adam and Eve were fornicators that this just piles on more sins on top of the already unacceptable incident with the serpent. And of course my other question about their kids makes me wonder if they did get married would they say "I now pronounce you brother and sister" or "I now pronounce you man and wife"? You need to have a sense of humour about these matters.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Well...I have always wondered if Adam & Eve had belly buttons, myself.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Montana do you stay up at night thinking of these questions?
Genesis 2:1 does say that God blessed them and told them to multiply and fill the earth.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Mg, nope, they weren't married by todays standardsHOWEVER, according to what I can see from the Genesis tale,( there are 2 different stories) In the first God created male and female and told them to be fruitful and multiply..no mention of a wedding, civil union or marriage vows..
In the second tale, God made one man from the dust of the ground and later took one of his ribs and made him a woman..In this account nothing is mentioned about "knowing" ( having sexual relations) with the woman to fill the earth, until the fall (satan and the forbidden fruit) after that the story tells us that once they were banished from Eden that Adam lay with Eve and she became pregnant Still no mention of any marriage ceremony..

I hope this answers your tough question and allows you to sleep tonight

Old 09-03-2008, 05:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
Quote:
Were Adam And Eve Married And If So Who Married Them?
LoL, of course not; they were the 1st couple (according to some Jews the 2nd couple) who lived in 'sin'.
Then again, I just don't call myself Tricky for nothin' (if ya know what I'm sayin')
Quote:
Adultery wouldn't have been possible of course with just the two of them.
There is this Hebrew creation myth where Adam 1st nailed every animal before he discovered that he missed a human mate.
I guess it would only be logical that bestiality would've been 'invented' by the 1st primitive agricultural society who had the 1st farm animals.
Anywayz, God created Lilith (who was created the same way Adam was created) but she eventually rebelled against Adam & God because she questioned why it was Adam who always was on top. So she eventually got banned and God created Eve from Adam's rib so she would be more submissive.
And we all know now what a great plan that turned out to be.
Quote:
(b) Some say that God created man and woman in His own image on the Sixth Day, giving them charge over the world; but that Eve did not yet exist. Now, God had set Adam to name every beast, bird and other living thing. When they passed before him in pairs, male and female, Adam-being already like a twenty-year-old man-felt jealous of their loves, and though he tried coupling with each female in turn, found no satisfaction in the act. He therefore cried: 'Every creature but I has a proper matel', and prayed God would remedy this injustice.

(c) God then formed Lilith, the first woman, just as He had formed Adam, except that He used filth and sediment instead of pure dust. From Adam's union with this demoness, and with another like her named Naamah, Tubal Cain's sister, sprang Asmodeus and innumerable demons that still plague mankind. Many generations later, Lilith and Naamah came to Solomon's judgement seat, disguised as harlots of Jerusalem'.

Source: The Lilith Myth

Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I hope this answers your tough question and allows you to sleep tonight
Blue and ILNC, I'll just start thinking of other zany questions tonight. It's just one of my many peculiarities. Maybe I should make an appointment with June!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Montana, have you met someone there in Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality