Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I’m not afraid at all. I can’t be sad about my body gradually breaking down and life leaving it because that’s the way of all things. I hope not to die in some excruciating manner but the chances are much smaller than they used to be. I can’t be sad about never seeing loved ones again because I don’t expect it.
I could have written the quoted paragraph above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Wel, I'm sorry to hear what it did to you. I was lucky. I was deluged by religion, but being a State church, is was sorta watered down like everything one gets from Government (except tax hikes and paperwork) and while the Church funded a lot of schools, the religion was Milquetoast, as the French say, and whatever reason people found to become religious, it wasn't down to indoctrination.

If there is a lesson there, it is that we owe it to our people (which translates from American to English as "You owe it to your people") to remove the indoctrination and allow schools to 'teach the controversy' - which means everything about religion and not just trying to make Bible -belief a condition for not getting a failing grade. (6)

(6) (I've always wanted to do that ) I watched a video where the creator (I mean of the video, not Him ) said that he wrote an essay on what's wrong with the Bible or religion and got a 'C" when they usually got A or B, and claims friends reading the essay said it was good.

Ok it's an anecdote and a pretty accusatory one, but from what I have seen, it sounds only too damn' likely.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM

23,149 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Wel, I'm sorry to hear what it did to you. I was lucky. I was deluged by religion, but being a State church, is was sorta watered down like everything one gets from Government (except tax hikes and paperwork) and while the Church funded a lot of schools, the religion was Milquetoast, as the French say, and whatever reason people found to become religious, it wasn't down to indoctrination.

If there is a lesson there, it is that we owe it to our people (which translates from American to English as "You owe it to your people") to remove the indoctrination and allow schools to 'teach the controversy' - which means everything about religion and not just trying to make Bible -belief a condition for not getting a failing grade. (6)

(6) (I've always wanted to do that ) I watched a video where the creator (I mean of the video, not Him ) said that he wrote an essay on what's wrong with the Bible or religion and got a 'C" when they usually got A or B, and claims friends reading the essay said it was good.

Ok it's an anecdote and a pretty accusatory one, but from what I have seen, it sounds only too damn' likely.
I would say very likely, I seen it a million times, don't get me going.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
I think I am afraid of how much pain there will be while I am deing more so than being dead.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:21 PM

I know right, It will also be so embarrassing or raw that I simply wont know where to look, maybe I can act like it is happening to somebody else. Maybe if you don't look at it, it wont happen.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
No, I have nothing to lose.

I'm afraid of a violent death, but that's mainly a fear of pain and suffering while still alive.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No, I have nothing to lose.

I'm afraid of a violent death, but that's mainly a fear of pain and suffering while still alive.
That's true, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That's true, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Or more probably, everything to lose and nothing to gain. At least I do know for sure what I have or am while still alive.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:37 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
As others have said, I fear the pain of the death process more than death itself. I believe that I will return to the same state I was in before I was born - nothingness. I didn't exist then, and I won't exist after death. I imagine it will feel natural when it happens, and I'll wonder what I was afraid of.

Our brains are wonderfully designed to release chemicals when we are at the point of death. I think this phenomenon explains all those near-death stories you hear about seeing a light at the end of a tunnel, seeing Jesus, seeing loved ones, etc. It is a hallucination generated by the brain to make the transition easier and more pleasant.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Why are so many afraid of a painful death? That seems irrational to me, probably even more so than dying. We can't control the future...who knows how we'll die, could be quick and painless. So why the worry about the unknown that may never happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality