Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this phenomenon from a psychological point of view?

This is a very interesting BBC documentary about this phenomenon. In my opinion, there are parallels to the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, though I don't know where Charles Dickens could have possibly gotten his inspiration from. I also believe that this is something that Paul may have experienced, if we can understand Paul from a non-religious point of view. The "near death" part may have been spiritual (psychological) rather than physical, but I'm not sure if there is really much difference between them in regards to their positive effects.

The particular segment in question starts at 44:30 where a man who was a very wealthy Wall Street investor changed his entire life afterwards. But I would recommend watching all the other segments after this. Even though I believe these are nothing more than just regular dreams, they can have a profound impact on the person experiencing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCX0YjYayQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 07:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
If this Isn't from the point of view of religion (promoting it by the NDE's are real, -heaven is real, God is real, Religion is true, apologetic), then I think this is science and there must be a Science forum somewhere.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If this Isn't from the point of view of religion (promoting it by the NDE's are real, -heaven is real, God is real, Religion is true, apologetic), then I think this is science and there must be a Science forum somewhere.
So you want for scientists to discuss this? Not just this, but Saint Paul, and Charles Dickens? Interesting.

Suddenly this topic is not "religious" enough for yourself? Interesting.

Actually, Charles Dickens was quite religious. Yet, I don't think that by your current standards, he would even be considered "religious" enough for you.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:17 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ozzy wanted to look at the positive psychological effects of NDE's, I believe (based on his o.p.). I don't think that's science forum fodder and does seem, to me, to be appropriate for the spiritual forum.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ozzy wanted to look at the positive psychological effects of NDE's, I believe (based on his o.p.). I don't think that's science forum fodder and does seem, to me, to be appropriate for the spiritual forum.
Thank you

Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 AM

Not to mention that the passage in 1st (or maybe 2nd) Corinthians in the New Testament was the reference in regards to Saint Paul. The same chapter that mentions the "Thorn" in his side.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
NDEs, are something we just do not understand yet, so its normal for people to try and explain them as being something supernatural or religious in nature.

Once we understand how the brain works and our own conscious a little better, we will probably figure out what NDEs are and why they happen.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Both my grandmother and my uncle experienced them. Peace

Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I have heard multiple accounts of people changing beliefs and life focus after "peak experiences" of which NDEs are a subtype. I have also heard of people changing beliefs and life focus after any sort of epiphany or realization that hits them, even in more mundane ways. The "Damascus Road" style fundamentalist conversions, the charismatic / pentecostal "baptism in the holy spirit", some of the experiences of non-duality in secular and religious meditation practices, and more are also examples of this type of watershed experience.

All that's needed to explain it is that people realize they've been framing or thinking about something in an ineffective or dysfunctional way, change their mind, and thus change their lives. It's also well understood that when people have disordered thinking it's often around some kind of hangup or wound or misperception, like a mental blockage that a lot of pressure builds up around. So understandably when this rises into someone's awareness, they are "ripe" so to speak, for major changes, and able to let go of dysfunctional thinking. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it doesn't. We tend to hear about the ones that stick, naturally.

Religion certainly doesn't have a monopoly on peak experiences, epiphanies, or realizations. It leverages them and in some ways at times facilitates or catalyzes them.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 PM

678 posts, read 429,435 times
I don't think all NDEs are good, positive experiences, although the good ones probably sell better on TV.
A good friend of mine had one - flatlined on the operating table after having major heart surgery and it was an upsetting, guilt and anxiety producing experience for him.

I think positive psychology is a great thing, but don't think one needs to have a NDE to change. They just have to be willing to try and put in effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality