Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Any posts regarding the existence of Jesus are off topic...BUT, a thread on whether he existed or not can be started in a New Thread...I believe there are many already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the world would be a better, saner place, if most folks recognized that Jesus - even if a composite - exists among the pantheon of Humans Who Changed Stuff Significantly.

He'd be rubbing shoulders with the dude (or dudette) who harnessed fire, invented the wheel, figured out the power of levers, Newton, Da Vinci, Shakespeare, Einstein, Ricky Gervais et al.
Einstein and Ricky...yes.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:33 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Just thought of the question and wondering what people think about it
There are books and books and books behind those parables, he said much more than people think, it is just hidden.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I had forgotten about that one. I wonder how a tradesman learned to read? Of course this is the Bible, so we can just deem it a miracle. He just let the god side of him come through. Surely god knows how to read.
The tradition by which Jewish boys STILL learn Torah? You really ought not to assert things about which you know nothing.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM

19,998 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
His second (?) cousin, Zechariah the priest, taught him?
I doubt that Zechariah could have made the trip to Nazareth for that purpose on a regular basis. Or that Joseph could spare Jesus for the inverse trip. But in the gospels, all things are possible.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
I doubt that Zechariah could have made the trip to Nazareth for that purpose on a regular basis. Or that Joseph could spare Jesus for the inverse trip. But in the gospels, all things are possible.

It seems that Jesus and John had a relationship, and may have known each other as children, so they would've seen each other at least occasionally. One of my sons taught himself to read at 4; I learned to read at 5; surely Jesus' father wouldn't have had him working with him at such an early age and he would have been able to travel with his mother (who had previously stayed with Zechariah for 3 months).

Then, nate's posts have indicated that people were not necessarily illiterate in that time and culture. So... it doesn't seem necessary to play the miracle card in this case.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It seems that Jesus and John had a relationship, and may have known each other as children, so they would've seen each other at least occasionally. One of my sons taught himself to read at 4; I learned to read at 5; surely Jesus' father wouldn't have had him working with him at such an early age and he would have been able to travel with his mother (who had previously stayed with Zechariah for 3 months).

Then, nate's posts have indicated that people were not necessarily illiterate in that time and culture. So... it doesn't seem necessary to play the miracle card in this case.
Formal education, including tradecraft, traditionally began at 12 IIRC. So yes, it's possible there could have been someone doting on a very young Jesus in this regard, like one of my older brothers lavished his tutelage on me beginning at age 3.

I guess my main point is that we simply don't know and the odds are against it. The sort of broad and deep literacy that would be needed to read and interpret the OT and commentaries strike me as highly unlikely. But yes ... with a few literate connections, a good dollop of precociousness, etc., just maybe. And the "miracle card" is always available to the faithful.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
I doubt that Zechariah could have made the trip to Nazareth for that purpose on a regular basis.
...particularly as there was no 'Nazareth' at that time.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yeah, well, there's that too.

I was just granting that there was a Bible Jesus in Nazareth for the sake of argument.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LOL, that's what they have said of many cities they have found after it was said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality