Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
How do YOU explain "bad things?" If there is a creator God and he is all good, there should be no bad things.

But let's look at good and bad for a moment. Good and bad do not exist! They are humans concepts, like sin and evil, rather than physical forces in the world.

Let's consider good and bad objectively, as unbiased observers only. A lioness catches and kills a day old baby gazelle, which she takes home and feeds to her cubs. From the perspective of the lion, this is a very good thing. It keeps her and her cubs from starving to death. From the perspective of the baby gazelle though , this is a catastrophe. From the perspective of the universe at large however, which has no opinion one way or the other, this was neither right or wrong. It was simply an event.

But let's skew the example a bit. The gazelle was not taken by a lioness to feed her cubs, but by a crocodile. Because most people have an instinctive loathing of reptiles, they will immediately side with the baby gazelle. But crocodiles have to make a living too. Again, the right or wrong nature of the event is simply a matter of opinion. And opinions vary depending on perspective.

Now let's consider the three things I mentioned, cancer and flesh eating viruses and birth defects. If one believes, as you do, in a creator God, then you creator God is responsible for cancer and flesh eating viruses and birth defects, as well as any number of other horrors that exist in the world. If no God ever existed to begin with however, these things are simply natural occurrences. They destroy lives, and we consider that BAD. But there is no one to blame. Sometimes lions and crocodiles destroy human lives too, but lions and crocodiles are neither bad nor evil. They simply do what is necessary to survive.

I live in an area that was once teaming with grizzly bears. Humans wiped out all of the grizzly bears where I live decades ago. Because grizzly bears were a threat to human life, and humans do what is necessary to survive. Whether wiping out the grizzly bears was a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion. I am of the opinion that grizzly bears make bad neighbors.
So then why do atheists rail against God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So then why do atheists rail against God?
some of us rail against your fundy-mentals. why don't you regulars control them? You know, most atheists are just non religious and its because of how religious people act. things like god against gays is as stupid as the 13 labels that gays use to get a boys into the girls room in public schools.

for no christ sake, common sense struggles against the two end of the human boob stick. We just give up, take care of our lives, and get back to work. and end up getting it from both ends. Its ok to not to be all or nothing. In fact, its normal.

Saying "no" is not blocking love. "enabling" blocks love.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
some of us rail against your fundy-mentals. why don't you regulars control them? You know, most atheists are just non religious and its because of how religious people act. things like god against gays is as stupid as the 13 labels that gays use to get a boys into the girls room in public schools.

for no christ sake, common sense struggles against the two end of the human boob stick. We just give up, take care of our lives, and get back to work. and end up getting it from both ends. Its ok to not to be all or nothing. In fact, its normal.

Saying "no" is not blocking love. "enabling" blocks love.
That’s not what I read earlier. Someone was upset because a supposedly loving god allows disease, famine, etc. That’s not railing against fundamentalists-that’s anger toward God.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
If there is no creator, how do you explain bad things?
Why did the creator create bad things jimmiej?

Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
If there is no creator, how do you explain bad things?
Easy: an uncaring universe with no benevolent creator.

The laws of physics don’t care about us. If a child falls off of a high balcony, gravity will accelerate the child rapidly toward the ground, killing the child. If a child accidentally ingests a bottle of Drano, that child will die because of the laws of chemistry.

I am not aware of any physical law that prevents bad things from happening to “good” people.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Easy: an uncaring universe with no benevolent creator.

The laws of physics don’t care about us. If a child falls off of a high balcony, gravity will accelerate the child rapidly toward the ground, killing the child. If a child accidentally ingests a bottle of Drano, that child will die because of the laws of chemistry.

I am not aware of any physical law that prevents bad things from happening to “good” people.
So why all the anger against God?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
So why all the anger against God?
I don’t believe there is a God to get angry at.

If I were angry at a God, I’d be a theist, not an agnostic/atheist.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
The "creator who loves us," also created cancer and flesh eating viruses and child defects. He kills humans by the millions. It's rather like sitting on grandpa's lap and being sexually molested. Not all of us feel the love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And among the believers is never held responsible.

I just saw a post on Facebook by an old secretary of mine. Thanking god for his protection and benevolence...because her sister had died after 7 years of misery from cancer. Sorry, but I think that's just warped.
Quote:
I don’t believe there is a God to get angry at.

If I were angry at a God, I’d be a theist, not an agnostic/atheist.
^^^ See above for what I was referring to.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
^^^ See above for what I was referring to.
Are you referring to the two posts immediately below?

Quote:
The "creator who loves us," also created cancer and flesh eating viruses and child defects. He kills humans by the millions. It's rather like sitting on grandpa's lap and being sexually molested. Not all of us feel the love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And among the believers is never held responsible.

I just saw a post on Facebook by an old secretary of mine. Thanking god for his protection and benevolence...because her sister had died after 7 years of misery from cancer. Sorry, but I think that's just warped.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Are you referring to the two posts immediately below?
He is.

For jimmie, those posts are "proof" atheists (and Buddhists I guess) hate god.

It's not surprising, considering fundamentalists think their old book is "proof" of their god.

I do not think they know what that word means. (Apolgies to Inigo.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality