Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:22 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times

Advertisements

God can be "in charge", but not responding constantly. Like an analogy of a boss, some are not into micromanaging. Some will sit back and observe, and only step forward and get involved when desired. So if things are screwed up, it isn't because God is screwing things up, he might just be sitting back and letting persons make their own decisions (even when leading to fault or issue). He might not seem in charge, or even present, if one doesn't consider that.

So, to be "in charge" can mean a range of responsiveness, from heavy-handed, to light-handed, to seeming not present. But the boss can still be there, and be in charge, choosing to act as he prefers. The boss might know and understand far more than us, and it might make sense, though maybe not to us at the time. Is that heavy enough? :-)

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-08-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
God can be "in charge", but not responding constantly. Like an analogy of a boss, some are not into micromanaging. Some will sit back and observe, and only step forward and get involved when desired. So if things are screwed up, it isn't because God is screwing things up, he might just be sitting back and letting persons make their own decisions (even when leading to fault or issue). He might not seem in charge, or even present, if one doesn't consider that.

So, to be "in charge" can mean a range of responsiveness, from heavy-handed, to light-handed, to seeming not present. But the boss can still be there, and be in charge, choosing to act as he prefers. The boss might know and understand far more than us, and it might make sense, though maybe not to us at the time. Is that heavy enough? :-)
But bosses aren't gods, and god ought to be able to micromanage since he is ALL POWERFUL.

When I see/hear about his own flock being gunned while worshiping him, I think of the old saying, "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
So far so good...I'm proud of all of you making things pretty darn civil!

"With friends like that, who needs enemies?"
Actually, St. Theresa of Avila said something very similar to God.
While her horse drawn wagon was stuck, very tilted, in a fast running stream in the dark,
in the 1500s as I recall. (I'm older than I look.)

Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

I am the hands-off type of boss but if the one person under me were being assaulted by someone else in the organization and I ignored it -- or if he were doing something wrong and I ignored it -- or if I did not provide any guidance at all or failed to pay him -- one MIGHT legitimately say that I was a lousy boss.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Since God created the universe from nothing, he can do what he wants with his creation. The same way a potter can decide to make a lump of clay into a pot, or an ash tray. His choice.

Of course, there will always be those that deny it, in the vain attempt to avoid the ramifications of God existing...but that doesn't affect truth.
Like sending a person to slaughter people worshiping the god that sent the shooter BFun?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am the hands-off type of boss but if the one person under me were being assaulted by someone else in the organization and I ignored it -- or if he were doing something wrong and I ignored it -- or if I did not provide any guidance at all or failed to pay him -- one MIGHT legitimately say that I was a lousy boss.
Ha, they sure could.
Thinking in 'human terms' or in our limited human perspective things look
that way, God's a lousy boss...A person can look up at the sky thinking God is a Man and say,
"Hey, why are you letting this happen?'

But, my perspective is God dwells in a place where there is no place or time, tada!
Different ballgame entirely...better than an aerial view from a helicopter!
'He', this One Consciousness or One Spirit...knows there is no death...knows this is all a dream...
made up of dreamstuff to look very real...and that in one second...they will wake up and rub
their eyes and say, 'Whoa, that was some wild dream! Glad to be back here!"

Lousy God?...nope, just teeny people, with teeny perspectives that are looking at things not seeing the whole picture...
having no idea what really is going on in this existence, period...no idea why they or the entire Universe even exists or was created!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ha, they sure could.
Thinking in 'human terms' or in our limited human perspective things look
that way, God's a lousy boss...A person can look up at the sky thinking God is a Man and say,
"Hey, why are you letting this happen?'

But, my perspective is God dwells in a place where there is no place or time, tada!
Different ballgame entirely...better than an aerial view from a helicopter!
'He', this One Consciousness or One Spirit...knows there is no death...knows this is all a dream...
made up of dreamstuff to look very real...and that in one second...they will wake up and rub
their eyes and say, 'Whoa, that was some wild dream! Glad to be back here!"

Lousy God?...nope, just teeny people, with teeny perspectives that are looking at things not seeing the whole picture...
having no idea what really is going on in this existence, period...no idea why they or the entire Universe even exists or was created!
Yes you can dismiss reality as mere illusion of no importance, that's one way to deal with it.

My way of dealing with it is to just regard it as stuff that happens, as not personal and not about me. I don't try to turn it into a beautiful tapestry or imbue it with bestowed meaning, purpose or wisdom.

I just adapt as best I can and make the best of the situations I find myself in. I have no particular expectation and I don't even suggest that the way things are is unfair. It WOULD be patently and self-evidently unfair if there were a tri-omni god overseeing it while simultaneously making lavish promises to look after me and mine. But there isn't, so it's not.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The humorous inference seems to be, "If God was really 'in charge here,' He would intervene to keep things from being as messed-up as they are." If that is one's perception and expectation, then No, that 'god' is not in charge here. In fact, the 'god' whom most imagine in the context of, "If God was really (fill in the blank), He would ...." - is an imaginary 'god' of the human mind.

But, in response to the original question, Yes, the living God who created all things, including people with free-will; the God who is righteous, holy and just -- and all powerful, all seeing and present everywhere; the God who is loving, merciful and full of grace ... that God is very much in charge here!
I don't see how this is possible. Aren't the highlighted words mutually exclusive?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I walked past a car today with a bumper sticker that had the Robert Browning line, "God's in his heaven, all's right with the world." This strikes me as the basic idea behind the standard-issue all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good god. That he's "in control". Of course when dozens of his ardent followers are slaughtered in the very midst of worshipping and praising him, god can't be literally in control. He must be in some sort of rationalized "ultimate" control. Whatever sort of control he's in -- whatever it is he's in charge of -- it is plain that it isn't reliably any help for ordinary people, and thus ... it becomes a moot question whether or not god is "in charge" of anything.
A lot of people seem to think that "control" has to mean micromanagement, but what if it is only influence, sort of the way Pippa Passes at crucial moments?

I see Thoreau covered this to some extent.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I don't see how this is possible. Aren't the highlighted words mutually exclusive?
Only if your idea of "just" is skewed. Justice is not necessarily punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality