U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 AM
 
31,556 posts, read 7,274,421 times
Reputation: 4471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
First, you need to eliminate the obviously man-made gods: the bible god, Zeus, Ganesh, Thor etc.

And then see who's left.

I'm still interviewing candidates.
Where do I apply?

That's why the oft -dismissed (without thinking) question "Which god?" is so important. The idea of some sorta intelligent creator is not a problem until you link it up as an underpinning from some religion or other.

I swear the believers never even stop to consider this, but the assume without stopping that the Creator must be the god of the religion they have been taught. For me personal gods and religions went out the window straight away, until one of them could make a convincing case, and it was only ever about a possible creator.

I think that the indirect evidence of a non -designed universe and biosphere must argue against an intelligent designer, but it's an academic debate and quite apart from the campaign to reduce organized religion to position of powerlessness - and that applies to Buddhism, too, since it too easily can serve as a cloak for political thuggery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Status: "BERN IT DOWN" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Country of BIGOTS and HATERS
19,801 posts, read 21,639,929 times
Reputation: 7459
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
True God? A book of stories defines God and people choose to believe. Since no one to my knowledge has ever met God (unless you believe George Burns was God), who or whatever you believe in is YOUR true God.
so god is an old white guy?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 04:33 AM
 
370 posts, read 172,991 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
The supreme being may be more than one, like the Hindus. But of all these gods there must be only one true God (John 17:3)
Taking a single element from a system and applying it to a different system can lead to a different overall statement on a topic. Taking 65 from 65mph and applying it to the metric system creates different speeds.

Quote:
Are we just contented to believe in a god that was introduced to us by our parents?
There is the introduction to prayer and worship at an early stage and through such comes the increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 AM
 
2,128 posts, read 648,642 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you believe you're qualified to judge God?
Why do you believe without judging? Because a book tells you to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Upstate New York
11,736 posts, read 4,299,328 times
Reputation: 4369
Obviously, the True God is the god WE worship, the false gods are the gods THEY worship.

It’s impossible that WE worship a false god. Obviously WE are right and THEY are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 AM
 
31,556 posts, read 7,274,421 times
Reputation: 4471
Of course Faith that This religion (and if necessary, denomnination and even Chapter) is the Only True One. And Faith that all the others are wrong, no question, no argument and for sure no evidence, Holy books or miracle -claims. Faith is all that you need.

Faith, Faith Faith....
Faith, Faith Faith..

Faith Faith Faith Faith, Faith Faith faith deedum, dumdeedum..

If you wannna claim your religion is true in word and deeds,

If you wanna wave away all other Holy Books and creeds

If you see miracles of God in events of every day

And toss 100 thousand other gods and creeds away...

All you need is Faith (yahhdah daddah dahh..)

All you need is Faith (yahhdah daddah dahh..)

All you need is Faith; Faith.

Faith is all you need.

...

No, no I do Not recomend it as an anthem as UU meetings. The believer will simply grab the faith chant without worrying much what the words mean...why should they when they hardly ever understand what's in the Bible?

And if it is explained to them, why they simply write their own words..

"If you believe that Yahweh is your Lord and God.
And that Satan will corrupt your kids if you spare the rod
If you take buddy Jesus as your only Lord and Saviour
And think that Blessing food at table will improve the flavor..

All you need..."

Hmmm. Couldn't have done better myself.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-14-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
20,160 posts, read 19,769,316 times
Reputation: 9048
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
Man believes and worships a supreme being who he calls god. The supreme being may be more than one, like the Hindus. But of all these gods there must be only one true God (John 17:3) and all the others are false gods. If there is a true God, there must be false gods. How then can he determine whether the god he believes in or worships is the true God or a false god? What are the attributes of god that man considers as those a true God should possess?

If you were to worship a god, be sure that He is the true God.

Are we just contented to believe in a god that was introduced to us by our parents? Or do we just believe that all these gods are one and the same?
You've started out by quoting from the New Testament. What would you say to someone who has a different holy book instead, and who says that his holy book says there are many gods, all of whom can be worshiped? I'm not saying you're wrong, by the way. I'm saying your reasoning is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY.
504 posts, read 291,721 times
Reputation: 431
People in India starve, as their cow Gods walk around the streets doing what cows do;
Jews swirl live chickens above their heads to atone for sins, cut off penis skin from male babies, cover up in plastic bags when flying over cemeteries, dance with donkeys, dont eat pork;
Christian God was born to a virgin, etc.
choose your God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
2,793 posts, read 3,864,198 times
Reputation: 2794

In religion, mankind creates its gods in its own images, and each religion then justifies its actions by claiming it speaks for its god. The more vengeful and punitive is the god, the more vengeful and punitive are the people who created it and who believe in it. Furthermore, if we think of God as being separate from us, we will not be able to avoid asking such questions as, "Why did God create suffering?", or, "Why is God doing this to me?" Thus, many adherents to Christianity are described as being God-fearing, not God-loving. Any belief in a separate god induces guilt, expiation of which often takes the form of trying to induce guilt in others. From A Course in Consciousness: Chapter 14.2 Religion as a belief in a dualistic God.

This is how I view any God, it is the God within us all that is the "True God", it isn't some abstract deity that inhabits some mystic space in the cosmos. When we start to search for that "True God" outside of ourselves, we create a separation from the "True God" within.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 AM
 
7,356 posts, read 6,313,993 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The OP title is wrong IMO.



The use of word the "know" is incorrect.

We don't really "know" if God exists or not. And that's why it's called "faith"

We would "know" it IF we had died, met God and came back.

So the believers have faith that God exists and Atheists have faith that God does not exist.

The entire rhetoric of "evidence" does not apply to this paradox.

Faith is not based on evidence - otherwise it's not faith.


Now, the very legitimate question of, "there are so many Gods out there, which one is it?"

The answer has been given many times before but here is the method if you want to take this journey.

You will follow a rule that "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message."

You will then start with any religion, and study it's message of God towards mankind.

And during your study of the holy message, you will periodically ask this key question from yourself, "Is it the truth?"

And then you will honestly and bravely let your heart answer the question.

This will probably help you find the one that talks to your heart.

If you have questions then ask the questions only from the followers of the faith under your study.

For example, if you have a question from the Holy Bible, then ask a Christian Scholar. Quranic questions should be asked from a Muslim Scholar, Torah questions from a Jewish Scholar, Gita questions from a Hindu scholar etc.

Remember, the obligation upon us is to use our own ingellence, logic and common sense to do our own research and make wise choices, because in the end, we will be responsible for our choices made on free will.

The brain does the research part - the call to faith comes from the heart.
Are you saying that listening to one's heart is the best method to determine what is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top