U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
 
37,146 posts, read 25,011,671 times
Reputation: 5830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because the blatant contradictions and inconsistencies within their beliefs about God are so obvious that they cannot bear to contemplate them. It is better and safer to ignore them and claim God's way are not our ways or God works in mysterious ways and other such excuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are no inconsistencies with God, because God is one and God is unity.
if someone sees "contradictions and inconsistencies" then their "beliefs about God" are the problem.
Glad that you agree with me. Contradictory and inconsistent beliefs ABOUT God ARE the problem. For a Christian, God IS agape love according to Jesus. That means that anything contradictory or inconsistent with agape love can NOT be from God or Jesus.
Quote:
There is no place where God is not.
Period. Full stop.
If you can't see God in everything, then your "beliefs about God" are problematic.
Well, I cannot see agape love in bashing babies' heads on rocks or gutting pregnant women with swords or gassing or machine-gunning millions in a holocaust, so I can NOT see Christ's God in everything. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 PM
 
12,338 posts, read 12,993,254 times
Reputation: 8858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Glad that you agree with me. Contradictory and inconsistent beliefs ABOUT God ARE the problem. For a Christian, God IS agape love according to Jesus. That means that anything contradictory or inconsistent with agape love can NOT be from God or Jesus. Well, I cannot see agape love in bashing babies' heads on rocks or gutting pregnant women with swords or gassing or machine-gunning millions in a holocaust, so I can NOT see Christ's God in everything. YMMV.
we are not in agreement.

by your own admission, you are not able to see God in everything. you claim there are places where God is not. therefore you deny the one-ness and unity of God. you are mired in duality. you claim there is something other than God. therefore you deny God.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-26-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 AM
 
12,338 posts, read 12,993,254 times
Reputation: 8858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Glad that you agree with me. Contradictory and inconsistent beliefs ABOUT God ARE the problem. For a Christian, God IS agape love according to Jesus. That means that anything contradictory or inconsistent with agape love can NOT be from God or Jesus. Well, I cannot see agape love in bashing babies' heads on rocks or gutting pregnant women with swords or gassing or machine-gunning millions in a holocaust, so I can NOT see Christ's God in everything. YMMV.
The post of yours above and the post of yours beliw show clearly the "contradiction and inconsistency" in your beliefs. You've painted yourself into a corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since God IS consciousness, He certainly has a Will. But everything that exists is NOT willful. Everything is part of God. To use the analogy to our own existence compared to the cells that comprise it, none of the cells and biota that comprise us are part of our Will. They are just part of our Being. It is no different with God. Everything exists because God exists and is part and parcel of Him. However, I believe our consciousness is a special part of God's Will because we reproduce His consciousness (or at least that is what we are supposed to do). That is why it is so important to produce love in our consciousness because God IS love. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 AM
 
37,146 posts, read 25,011,671 times
Reputation: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The post of yours above and the post of yours beliw show clearly the "contradiction and inconsistency" in your beliefs. You've painted yourself into a corner.
We can not agree because you accept a very brutal God and I do not. Everything that exists is part of God's BEING, but everything that exists is NOT by the WILL of God - just as everything in your body exists because of your BEING but not everything is the result of your Will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 PM
 
12,338 posts, read 12,993,254 times
Reputation: 8858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We can not agree because you accept a very brutal God and I do not. Everything that exists is part of God's BEING, but everything that exists is NOT by the WILL of God - just as everything in your body exists because of your BEING but not everything is the result of your Will.
You see brutal.
I do not.

I see God in everything.
You do not.

I see the infinite caring and wisdom and comfort of God in everything.
You see brutality.


That's the difference.
God is not brutal.
Just you.

You see what is in your heart reflected back at you. A clear heart like a clear lake reflects beauty. A disturbed troubled heart of stirred up mud clouds all beauty.and only the mud is seen. You see brutality because that is what you carry in your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM
 
12,338 posts, read 12,993,254 times
Reputation: 8858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Everything that exists is part of God's BEING, but everything that exists is NOT by the WILL of God - just as everything in your body exists because of your BEING but not everything is the result of your Will.
Except, it is.

Everything in your body and your life and your world exists because you chose it. It is a result of your intent desre thought words and feeling

You are responsible. You chose it. Orherwise it would not be there.

That is the power of Creation. Creation by God. Creation by us learning to responsibly use the free will given us.

What you focus on you become. Every time you perseverate on graphic violence (it seems to be one of your favorite foods) that is what you are creating on the planet and that is what you are literally growing in your mind and in your life and in your body.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-27-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
2,993 posts, read 1,683,197 times
Reputation: 2278
By dying and seeing whether or not everything you believed in was true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,367 posts, read 6,885,196 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You see brutal.
I do not.
Let's take a closer look at what you were quoting Mystic as seeing "brutal:" "Well, I cannot see agape love in bashing babies' heads on rocks or gutting pregnant women with swords or gassing or machine-gunning millions in a holocaust, so I can NOT see Christ's God in everything."


Frankly, I'm disturbed that you DON'T see "brutal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 01:09 PM
 
12,338 posts, read 12,993,254 times
Reputation: 8858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
...Frankly, I'm disturbed that you DON'T see "brutal."
In the same way that drunks in a bar are disturbed by people who are clean and sober.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,479,321 times
Reputation: 6001
So the question is ... which of you is doing this? And which of you is projecting that the other is doing this?

There are clearly good, beautiful, exalting things in the world as well as bad, ugly, debasing things.

By acknowledging unpleasantness no one is suggesting there is nothing good; by acknowledging the good one does not negate the bad.

God is generally presented to us as the author of all that is good and right with the world, but clearly and unambiguously embraces the unseemly and even acknowledges the authorship thereof.

If "god is in everything" then it seems the least you can do is acknowledge that god is not 100% good, that the mixed bag of our existence reflects the mixed bag of god's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top