Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

but is still drew a FOUL for REFUSAL to RESPOND and stay on TOPIC from you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The OP title is wrong IMO.

The use of word the "know" is incorrect.

We don't really "know" if God exists or not. And that's why it's called "faith"

We would "know" it IF we had died, met God and came back.

So the believers have faith that God exists and Atheists have faith that God does not exist.

The entire rhetoric of "evidence" does not apply to this paradox.

Faith is not based on evidence - otherwise it's not faith.

Now, the very legitimate question of, "there are so many Gods out there, which one is it?"

The answer has been given many times before but here is the method if you want to take this journey.

You will follow a rule that "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message."

You will then start with any religion, and study it's message of God towards mankind.

And during your study of the holy message, you will periodically ask this key question from yourself, "Is it the truth?"

And then you will honestly and bravely let your heart answer the question.

This will probably help you find the one that talks to your heart.

If you have questions then ask the questions only from the followers of the faith under your study.

For example, if you have a question from the Holy Bible, then ask a Christian Scholar. Quranic questions should ebe asked from a Muslim Scholar, Torah questions from a Jewish Scholar, Gita questions from a Hindu scholar etc.

Remember, the obligation upon us is to use our own ingellence, logic and common sense to do our own research and make wise choices, because in the end, we will be responsible for our choices made on free will.

The brain does the research part - the call to faith comes from the heart.
This excuses the fact that most of humanity has had no resources or ability to research all the gods to make an informed decision.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:40 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
but is still drew a FOUL for REFUSAL to RESPOND and stay on TOPIC from you...
It's pretty well known that an apologist who has run out of arguments will bleat: 'Strawman'. Of course, it never is. The apologists never seem to understand the strawman fallacy. If they did, though wouldn't use it constantly. "Why are you atheists angry at God?", "You just want to lead sinful lives", "you are afraid that you will be judged."

In theist apologetics parlance, "Strawman" means "an argument I don't like, but I don't have any kind of rebuttal. So I'll just a post a piccie which will mean I don't need even to explain what's wrong with the argument."

Now I come to think of it, he uses the same ploy with his 'Here we go again" piccie.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Personally I believe none of it. Problem solved.
My god can kick your gods a*s

Old 11-23-2017, 08:23 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why are you afraid to question God?
Because the blatant contradictions and inconsistencies within their beliefs about God are so obvious that they cannot bear to contemplate them. It is better and safer to ignore them and claim God's way are not our ways or God works in mysterious ways and other such excuses.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I think there may be a lot of people believe that; that's what my mother believes. If you do however believe there is only one true God, I guess it is best to have some good reasons for believing that because it is possible that you may be wrong!
Now THAT is an interesting point, to have some good reasons for believing in whatever a person believes in. :-)

Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
This excuses the fact that most of humanity has had no resources or ability to research all the gods to make an informed decision.
Certainly possible. But one does not have to examine all the counterfeit money to figure what the real money looks like. As I understand it, when teaching someone to recognize a fake, they study the real first. Now the question is: what is the real? The introduction to the real is between the person and God.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because the blatant contradictions and inconsistencies within their beliefs about God are so obvious that they cannot bear to contemplate them. It is better and safer to ignore them and claim God's way are not our ways or God works in mysterious ways and other such excuses.

Alleluiya, preach brother. I like this!! You are making the noises I like to hear!!. Rep point on the way.

Yes, I do it, too . But you are spot on, that that people disagreeing about the god in their head is strong evidence that it is just their own mind in their head.

I don't know where that fits into your Cosmic Intelligence theory, but it sure fits into the human delusion theory of mine.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
Man believes and worships a supreme being who he calls god. The supreme being may be more than one, like the Hindus. But of all these gods there must be only one true God (John 17:3) and all the others are false gods. If there is a true God, there must be false gods. How then can he determine whether the god he believes in or worships is the true God or a false god? What are the attributes of god that man considers as those a true God should possess?

If you were to worship a god, be sure that He is the true God.

Are we just contented to believe in a god that was introduced to us by our parents? Or do we just believe that all these gods are one and the same?
The tried and true method for solving this problem is to ask the opinion of someone who believes exactly as you do. Then repeat. Once you get to five, declare it to be unanimous.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
there are no inconsistencies with God, because God is one and God is unity.
if someone sees "contradictions and inconsistencies" then their "beliefs about God" are the problem.

There is no place where God is not.
Period. Full stop.

If you can't see God in everything, then your "beliefs about God" are problematic.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-26-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality