U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM

571 posts, read 2,251,002 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's an age-old question (and I'm sorry if this type of thing has been discussed here before), but I'm curious to see what kinds of answers this will bring. This question can apply to many different situations, but for the sake of consistency, let's use this scenario:

Bob is born on an island yet undiscovered by the outside world. Bob's people don't know anything about Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha or any other religion. They have no WAY of knowing these things. They are, however, awed by the wonder of nature and assume there must be some sort of "higher power" at work. (What they end up calling him, her or them really doesn't matter.)

While Bob is not perfect, he is a good citizen and does his best to follow the laws, traditions and morals set by his people. He respects the earth and conducts himself in a way that he believes will please the "higher power."

Bob lives his life and ultimately, he dies. Assuming you believe in some sort of afterlife (I think I can guess the answer for those of you who don't), what do you think will happen to our friend Bob?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Yes this has been discussed on here many times, you can probably do a search and find the threads. I'll tell you what I think based on the Bible which I believe is God's Word. Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities. His eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God".
God has provided a way for everyone to be saved, even Bob.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

571 posts, read 2,251,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes this has been discussed on here many times, you can probably do a search and find the threads. I'll tell you what I think based on the Bible which I believe is God's Word. Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities. His eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God".
God has provided a way for everyone to be saved, even Bob.
Thanks for the reply. What I wonder about, though, is if the Bible also says Jesus "is the way, the truth and the light, no man cometh to the father but by me", what happens to those people who CAN'T know about Jesus (or any other savior, for that matter) because well, they just weren't ever exposed to the information? Furthermore, the Bible also warns against putting false idols before God...what if Bob's people believe in a Mother Earth or a Sun God or something like that? Do they go to hell, or is there some sort of "escape" clause built in for ignorance?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
Thanks for the reply. What I wonder about, though, is if the Bible also says Jesus "is the way, the truth and the light, no man cometh to the father but by me", what happens to those people who CAN'T know about Jesus (or any other savior, for that matter) because well, they just weren't ever exposed to the information? Furthermore, the Bible also warns against putting false idols before God...what if Bob's people believe in a Mother Earth or a Sun God or something like that? Do they go to hell, or is there some sort of "escape" clause built in for ignorance?
I would not call it an "escape clause", but I believe God is a just God who will judge us based on the knowledge we have of Him, the number of times we have heard the Gospel and rejected it and I think the verses I quoted cover people like Bob. I believe ALL people have an inner sense of what God requires.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,776,403 times
In all of us we have a spirit/soul. We have all sensed that there is something greater than us, something more powerful. God has put his fingerprint in every aspect of everyone's lives. Look at the trees that change with the seasons, the power of the ocean, rock formations, a winding river with plenty of fish swimming in it, a baby being born. All of these things and more show everyone that there is a God. A force that is greater than them. If you are truly seeking after the truth you will find it, no matter what continent you live on, no matter what your people group, no matter your language. It's something you simply cannot deny within yourself. You may not know the name Jesus, but you know there is a God. God has put it within all of us to seek Him out, to know Him. We were created in his image. If a person chooses to turn away from the creator of mankind and the earth, He will turn away from them.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
In all of us we have a spirit/soul. We have all sensed that there is something greater than us, something more powerful. God has put his fingerprint in every aspect of everyone's lives. Look at the trees that change with the seasons, the power of the ocean, rock formations, a winding river with plenty of fish swimming in it, a baby being born. All of these things and more show everyone that there is a God. A force that is greater than them. If you are truly seeking after the truth you will find it, no matter what continent you live on, no matter what your people group, no matter your language. It's something you simply cannot deny within yourself. You may not know the name Jesus, but you know there is a God. God has put it within all of us to seek Him out, to know Him. We were created in his image. If a person chooses to turn away from the creator of mankind and the earth, He will turn away from them.
AMEN Brother!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,673,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
In your posting you have mad a LARGE mistake by saying what happens to people who (CAN'T) know about Jesus or any other savior, for that matter because they weren't exposed to the information.

Today in countries were people are not exposed to the Gospel or Christ, and preaching about Christ is against Islamic law. We are hearing of numerous reports that people in those countries that are seek God, yet not in their traditional religion, are finding Him. People from those regions are reporting that Jesus Christ Himself is appearing to them in their dreams, and telling them that He is the way, and to follow Him. Even without the Bible, God is leading His people out of bondage. Those who seek God will find Him. The problem is, most people donot have the desire to do so, and many more spend their life denying God rather then searching for Him. Others blindly follow false religions, without searching for God first.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 AM

8,735 posts, read 6,173,776 times
You can't punish Bob because he lives on an island not yet visited (or poluted) by religious people. That's why it makes no sense... people who have no knowledge of any gods cannot believe in them. But yet it's their own fault?
How can anyone say he'll not go to your heaven or hell?
If Bob's never heard of Santa, can he be blamed for that? Same thing, even though you get mad when god is compared to Santa, it's all depending on whether you believe in it or not, isn't it? That proves to me even more(if that's possible) that religions and gods are all manmade because people like Bob are better people than those who shove religion down people like Bob's troath. I think anyone of the missionary type is not a good person because they try to control others.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,673,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
You can't punish Bob because he lives on an island not yet visited (or poluted) by religious people. That's why it makes no sense... people who have no knowledge of any gods cannot believe in them. But yet it's their own fault?
How can anyone say he'll not go to your heaven or hell?
If Bob's never heard of Santa, can he be blamed for that? Same thing, even though you get mad when god is compared to Santa, it's all depending on whether you believe in it or not, isn't it? That proves to me even more(if that's possible) that religions and gods are all manmade because people like Bob are better people than those who shove religion down people like Bob's troath. I think anyone of the missionary type is not a good person because they try to control others.
I have a number of friends that are missionaries, and they have spent much of their lives going to some of the worst and most run down areas on earth. They have spent their lives helping the down and outs, and working with aids patients ect. Their attempts at control is to share the good news of Jesus Christ and to help those this world left behind to die. You have a very limited understanding of God, and you are looking for a rational reason why people can live their life without Him. It has been my experience that everyone down inside knows there is something more out there, even if they will not admit it. People who have never heard the name of Jesus are coming to Him because they are seeking what they cannot see, a God is revealing to them what they could not know. The day will come when everyones lame arguements will fall apart when they stand befor the living God. And He is a God they could of known if they had taken the time to search for Him rather than oppose Him. If Islamics are finding Christ in land locked countries, Bob could find Him to. You have no idea how powerful God can be, and you can take that from someone who knows.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,449,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I have a number of friends that are missionaries, and they have spent much of their lives going to some of the worst and most run down areas on earth. They have spent their lives helping the down and outs, and working with aids patients ect. Their attempts at control is to share the good news of Jesus Christ and to help those this world left behind to die. You have a very limited understanding of God, and you are looking for a rational reason why people can live their life without Him. It has been my experience that everyone down inside knows there is something more out there, even if they will not admit it. People who have never heard the name of Jesus are coming to Him because they are seeking what they cannot see, a God is revealing to them what they could not know. The day will come when everyones lame arguements will fall apart when they stand befor the living God. And He is a God they could of known if they had taken the time to search for Him rather than oppose Him. If Islamics are finding Christ in land locked countries, Bob could find Him to. You have no idea how powerful God can be, and you can take that from someone who knows.
hehe i didn't know you could read minds. Tell me what am i thinking? because i know from experience that every religious person deep down knows god isn't real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality