U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Status: "Herding cats and stalking amoebas" (set 8 days ago)

2,926 posts, read 1,013,275 times

Advertisements

Spirits having sex? LOL No physical bodies kind of complicates it. Humorous thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 PM

3,262 posts, read 1,116,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
72 virgins.
That's what I am talking about.

What kinda heaven would it be without sex?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,905,101 times
So, if there is sex in heaven can women get pregnant? If so, does God supply condoms? If your Catholic you don't get condoms.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:34 PM

14,046 posts, read 8,209,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Spirits having sex? LOL No physical bodies kind of complicates it. Humorous thread.
Not all religions see heaven as a spirit realm.

Christian fundamentalist eschatology generally contemplates the Great Tribulation followed by the Thousand Year Reign and then the new heaven and new earth -- with a bodily resurrection in there somewhere, such that the end point is a heaven full of people in physical bodies.

It was not always thus, the early church argued against the pagan notion that the dead go immediately to the underworld and taught that the dead stay dead until the resurrection. Around the 17th century though a general shift occurred away from the teaching on the resurrection, in favor of an emphasis on "everlasting life". Hence the modern notion that the righteous dead go straight to heaven, in spirit form. So in current Christian theology, depending on timing, you are either a discarnate spirit in heaven or inhabit a perfect, "incorruptible" body not subject to death.

So for the bulk of eternity, the question of whether this brand spanking new "incorruptible" body will lack genitalia actually becomes relevant. I don't think most Christians ponder this very actively as it quickly starts to sound silly. They just assume heaven will be terrific somehow or other, sex or no sex.

Despite all my good-natured ribbing about fundamentalist sexual hangups I actually think this is not a pressing question, were there a heaven. At this point in my life I just don't see sex as central to personal happiness. YMMV.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 PM

11,878 posts, read 4,447,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Proof that there is no sex.
Ha! Good point. I guess I never thought of that.

I can see some suicide bomber ending up in heaven and “getting” 72 virgins, only to find out that none of the men have their “equipment,” the very reason for all of the women being virgins.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 PM

5,183 posts, read 2,363,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ha! Good point. I guess I never thought of that.

I can see some suicide bomber ending up in heaven and “getting” 72 virgins, only to find out that none of the men have their “equipment,” the very reason for all of the women being virgins.
It's actually their punishment - an eternal torment - for the murderous crime they committed.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:44 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,634,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I mean honestly who knows,but do you think there is passion and sex in heaven or do you think it's very saintly and pure all the time.I mean I'm trying to decide if I want to go there,and if there's no sex then I might give it a miss.
Sex with what bodies?

By the way, sex can be saintly and pure.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Status: "Herding cats and stalking amoebas" (set 8 days ago)

2,926 posts, read 1,013,275 times
Those angels can get sexy at times (anyone remember Charlie's Angels?)

Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM

11,094 posts, read 7,583,073 times
Nope the bible states that your going to spend the rest of time worshipping god no time for sex or anything else.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,794,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Perhaps Heaven is divided into three parts.

I think there is no sex in the Christian part of heaven.

There is supposedly quite a bit of sex in the Muslim part of Heaven.

And I am not sure about the Jewish section of heaven?
What if heaven is divided into as many parts as there are believers AND non?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or