U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2017, 12:53 AM
 
8,868 posts, read 2,120,083 times
Reputation: 606

Advertisements

@ OP. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2017, 05:17 AM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,179 posts, read 2,795,021 times
Reputation: 3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes...and long-winded.
LOL! Long winded. This coming from someone who can't engage in a conversation that's any longer than, what, one or two sentences?

And you seriously think your contribution to this forum is worth a damn writing Twitter responses?

After all, you never bothered to explain HOW I was wrong. No, instead you just decided to insult me.

Go talk on Twitter if you're so <bleeping> lazy that you can't read a few paragraphs.

Christ, no wonder this country is finished as a power on the world stage.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-18-2017 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: It's the bleep thing. It happens sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 06:12 AM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,179 posts, read 2,795,021 times
Reputation: 3592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again...I don't mind humor. I have a hard time with intentionally mocking. I find it sad that you have nothing better to do but to hang out here, insulting others and mocking people.
Well... well ... well.... here we are again.

Issue #1: If you hint, imply, or tell me that I shouldn't be posting here one more time, I'm taking it up with the mods as a form of harassment. Don't think I'm bluffing because I am SICK of it.

Oh, I know you change the wording, the inference, the angle of attack, but over and over again you keep implying that I shouldn't be here and bemoaning the fact that I, as well as any atheist who actually refutes your religion, are even expressing ourselves.

Now it's the "it's sad that you're hanging out here" approach. I guess perhaps you thought an oblique assault on my right to freely express myself here within the rules would be the way to go.

"Gee, I feel so ashamed and guilty for the things I've said. Wow, I'm really wasting my life here. I guess I'll hang my head and delete my account, never to post here again ..."

Issue #2, Subpoint A: Show me where I'm "insulting others." Go ahead, show me. In fact, why not ask the mods just how many posts they've deleted or had to edit because of insults. Oh sure, it HAS happened on occasion, but that's because I was insulted first and BOTH my post and the original insulting post against me were removed. How 'bout that.

So unless you have actual evidence that I'm "insulting others" and the mods are letting me get away with it, you, sir are a liar. Which means you'll have to answer for your lies when you stand before your judge, now, won't you. Or ... do you believe that once saved always saved and thus you can act like a total asshat and not have to worry about the state of your soul?

Issue #2, Subpoint B: Show me where I'm "mocking others." Go ahead, show me. In fact, why not ask the mods ... well, you get the idea.

Do I mock people's beliefs from time to time? Yep. Am I mocking people? Nope.

I mean, it's not like certain Christians haven't been bashing, insulting, and misrepresenting atheists for the last 50 years or anything. Nooooo, of course not. You're completely innocent!

So don't sit there and tell me or anyone else how I'm "mocking others" when I'm doing no such thing. Which just proves what I just said -- about how certain Christians have been bashing, insulting, and misrepresenting atheists. YOU just did that.

Oh, and doesn't one of the 10 Commandments say something about, hmmm ... "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor"? Well, congratulations, Mr. False Witness Bearer, for failing to uphold your own belief system.

Issue #3: Learn how to tell the difference between a religion and you. YOU are not your religion, and that goes for any Christian. Which means if I mock Christianity, I'm not mocking you ... or OTHERS, as you have accused me of. "Others" are people. Christianity is not a person. Mocking God is within my rights. If God doesn't like it, he can click the damn "report" button like everyone else. And he certainly doesn't need YOU to defend him.

Issue #4: Once again, you made your posts all about me. While I'm flattered ... well, not really ... that you keep hijacking threads by responding with ad-hominem attacks against ME instead of sticking to the thread topic, you need to STOP it.

If you want to debate or refute me with an actual argument, go right ahead, I'm your huckleberry.

But all you seem capable of doing is talking about me, personally -- I'm hijacking threads, I'm mocking people, I'm insulting people, oh how sad that you have nothing better to do than hang out here, this is the Religion & Spirituality forum so atheists shouldn't post here (even though atheism is just another RELIGION and we worship science and Richard Dawkins as our Jesus.)

If you can't actually come up with a rebuttal of my arguments against your religion, hey *pat pat* I certainly understand, but taking a stroll through Ad-Hominem Land certainly isn't the way to go.

Because I utterly DEFY you to show me who I insulted or mocked in my original cheeky thread about sex in heaven.

I'll wait right here while you wring your hands in frustration, fail to admit that you're wrong, and pretend that nothing untruthful was ever said by ignoring my allegation or even ignoring this post altogether.

Have a wonderful Christ-filled day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: US
23,796 posts, read 12,254,777 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No.

Matthew 22:30 "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."
This is not talking about sex in heaven...Yoi are just making assumptions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM
 
Location: US
23,796 posts, read 12,254,777 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know, right?

That's actually one of the things I really despise about religion -- it is utterly devoid of any kind of humor, fun, or light-heartedness.

It's always so serious and somber and, quite frankly, joyless.
Jews are funny people...Jackie Mason, Rodney Dangerfield, to name two...Oh, and Amy Shumer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 AM
 
Location: US
23,796 posts, read 12,254,777 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
72 virgins.
No, no, no...That is a mistranslation...It's one 72 year old virgin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM
 
Location: US
23,796 posts, read 12,254,777 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
For some crazy reason this made me think of a fictional story related by our Sunday School superintendent when I was a youngster, in which a little boy asked if there would be fried chicken in heaven -- apparently the lad could not imagine heaven without it. Of course the scriptures don't address this so he was assured that there would be all he'd want in heaven because if there's anything good, it'll be there.

And THAT reminded me of a joke about an old guy who dies in a car accident with his wife and Peter shows them their heavenly mansion and points to a table full of delicious food just for them. The man says, no, he can't eat it ... it would be bad for his cholesterol. And Peter explains, you don't understand, this is heaven, you can eat anything you want and it won't harm you.

At this the old duffer pitches a complete fit and swears up an embarrassing blue streak. His wife calms him down and asks what on earth -- er, in heaven -- got into him.

Says he: "If it weren't for your god__ned bran muffins, we could have been here ten years ago!"

All of which brings us to the Christian position on sex (pun slightly intended), which is totally different from what is imagined about food, which fundamentalism has not demonized. Fundies can imagine a heaven with gluttony, but not with sexual passion. Nope. Entirely different story. As BF points out, you can't be "as the angels in heaven" and have sex. However ... as it was explained to me, our relationships will be far more satisfying and meaningful than sex could ever provide, so expect there to be some spiritual payoff that is better than sex. I hope that promise pans out better than the ones offered here earthside.

Now when it comes to sex in a hypothetical afterlife, I'm with Shirina's somewhat whimsical objection -- it's highly overrated to begin with and would be regulated in the heavenly theocracy to such an extent that it would be a non-starter anyway. So I'm indifferent about it. My concerns about heaven are more philosophical -- that every eternity eventually becomes its own hell.
Angels have sex...Everybody knows this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM
 
316 posts, read 438,579 times
Reputation: 313
Not according to Mark Twain. See Letters From The Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: US
23,796 posts, read 12,254,777 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Not according to Mark Twain. See Letters From The Earth.
No, really...Angels DO have sex...How on earth do you think the Nephilim came about?...Half angel and half human...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Status: "I'm back." (set 24 days ago)
 
2,838 posts, read 608,534 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No, really...Angels DO have sex...How on earth do you think the Nephilim came about?...Half angel and half human...
The Nephilim were not half-breeds. They were big people. They were also on the earth after the flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top