U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:01 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,891,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Nope, relativity tells me that space and time form part of the same 4th dimensional spacetime. Faith is negated by evidence, for relativity its assumption that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum is shown true by the presence of muons on mountains, the shift in the positions of stars compared to where they should be, particle accelerators showing this working ect ect..

If space and time are the same then before space there was no time so if the universe was there when time began, it is eternal but with a begining
And yet some scientist now are saying they believe that light has slowed down. If that is the case, how does that effect your evidence? Many scientific beliefs are often based on assumptions alone, and often believers in those assumptions mistakenly believe they are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And yet some scientist now are saying they believe that light has slowed down. If that is the case, how does that effect your evidence? Many scientific beliefs are often based on assumptions alone, and often believers in those assumptions mistakenly believe they are facts.
You mean like it gets slower when passing through a medium or that it has slowed down by a few tenths of a meter over the last few billion years? because neither one favours the god idea.

Why don't you actually make an attempt at understanding before you bash. Relativity works because if i measure the speed of light here it will be the same as if you measure it somewhere else. Taken tentatively of course but my confidence comes from evidence that suggest these assumptions are right(ie muons)

Hey maybe they should stop teaching chemistry. Calculating pH? fuggetaboutit cause it relies on an assumption.

We might have to make a poll on what people believe is the least likely assumption to be wrong:

-there exists an objective reality

-IM ALWAYS RIGHT!!!! Now shut uP!!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:06 AM

2,375 posts, read 5,372,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When Moses ask God who do I say sent me this what God said Exodus 3:14 "God replied I Am The One Who Always Is, just tell them I Am has sent me to you".
Revelation 22:13 "I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and last the beginning and the end".
God has no beginning or end, He has always been.

Hey JerZ, it's good to have you back on here.
So God is Greek?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:09 PM

13,093 posts, read 13,696,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Here's a tangent question...if god created everything, then he created himself, right?
.....no. Wrong.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
.....no. Wrong.
Then what made god?

If your answer is going to be:

she's always been

then my next question is why is that?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM

the void, if that's what you want to call the All That Is, or the force behind all Creation, is eternal. Eternity all alone, well, the sameness of that gets old after awhile, and is not so much fun, so worlds and universes and galaxies and an array of life forms with endless possibilities and interactions were created by its self, out of its self for, well, entertainment! and a way to pass eternity! A void is not much fun for eternity without some interaction and company! Friends to play with, lovers to fall in love, mysteries to live, puzzles to solve, delightful prizes for all, the joy of learning and learning and then learning more....all of it delicious!

What would you do if you were out in deep space for all of eternity all alone, and could do anything?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-22-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Eternity is easy to comprehend! Every little kid who has ever looked up at the sky just knows that the stars go on forever.

Time, too, also has no beginning and no end. That doesn't mean the future goes on forever and the past goes on forever, because they do NOT, they don't exist at all. The only real time is the NOW moment. We are in an endless moment of NOW that is all.

Linear time is an artifical construct so the limited human mind can function on a plane as dense as life is here on Earth. It's not the concepts that are the problem, they are simple, elegant, easy. it's the limited ability of our human minds to grasp concepts that are beyond our habitual ordinary thinking. Linear time is a construct created to "make sense" to the limited abilities of our human mind. When we are not in human form, it is easy to grasp the eternity and the nature of ourselves as springing from that eternity.

But to be in physical human form some things have to be "dummied down" or we wouldn't be able to function in this lifetime. If we had conscious knowledge and awareness of our simultaneous past and simultaneous futures (which are in reality all going on right now) it would be a major distraciton to getting through the work day! Plus the "rules" for incarnating on earth in physical form include voluntary "amnesia" for a time, a drawing of the veil, agreeing to the "rules of the game" for its duration.

It's like taking on a role in a play, or visiting a foreign land, you abide by the customs, you take on a role. But the role you take on, the rules you play by during the brief visit, well, they aren't the be-all and end-all and you after all come from a different place and will one day go back there. This is a stop along the way for fun and growth and evolving and learning.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
"Where did God come from? "
"When was God born?"
This is not so difficult to understand once you accept that God has no "where" or "when" from which to come. Time and space are themselves God's creations and He exists outside of both. The absence of time is eternity. The absence of space is infinity. We have been told in the Bible that there will be an end to time and that the entire universe will be made new.

I am sometimes reminded of how profound was Jimi Hendrix's lyric expression: "Until tomorrow? Or just the end of time?".
There will indeed be an end of time, but tomorrow never comes...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,147,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Then what made god?

If your answer is going to be:

she's always been

then my next question is why is that?
To borrow an expression from the much maligned former Secretary Rumsfeld: it's one of those "unknowable unknowns". And why, even if you want to imagine the creator of all things to be female, would you not at least capitalize "God" out of respect for your creator?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
the void, if that's what you want to call the All That Is, or the force behind all Creation, is eternal. Eternity all alone, well, the sameness of that gets old after awhile, and is not so much fun, so worlds and universes and galaxies and an array of life forms with endless possibilities and interactions were created by its self, out of its self for, well, entertainment! and a way to pass eternity! A void is not much fun for eternity without some interaction and company! Friends to play with, lovers to fall in love, mysteries to live, puzzles to solve, delightful prizes for all, the joy of learning and learning and then learning more....all of it delicious!

What would you do if you were out in deep space for all of eternity all alone, and could do anything?
i would at one point go insane and kill myself. The reason for this is that at first i would do everything that i ever wanted to entertain myself but eternity is a long time. After doing everything i would want to do, i would go on doing everything i could possibly imagine doing with my family and friends. So how much more time would i have? ah right infinity. Well lets do all the things again and again an infinite amount of times. How long do i have now? infinity eh? hmm well i think ill do nothing for an infinite amount of time. How about now? what do i do now? infinity?!?!?. *bang*

But of course i realize that my sense of self isn't meant to be immortal. A god might not ever get bored so why would it entertain itself? why should it share any of our human feelings if it comes from such a different environment?

My guess would be that it probly doesn't or even simpler: such a being does not exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality