U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,696,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
My guess would be that it probly doesn't or even simpler: such a being does not exist
like i said...limited human thinking...we can choose to venture to the edge of our understanding and take a leap (learn, grow, expand,challenge ourselves, live in the mystery)...or stay where we are (otherwise known as: stagnant, stuck, feet in cement) and deny anything else can possibly exist.

the problem is not that the universe is limited, but that the human mind resists going beyond the edge of its current limited understanding (otherwise known as comfort zone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 PM

206 posts, read 525,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
like i said...limited human thinking...we can choose to venture to the edge of our understanding and take a leap (learn, grow, expand,challenge ourselves, live in the mystery)...or stay where we are (otherwise known as: stagnant, stuck, feet in cement) and deny anything else can possibly exist.

the problem is not that the universe is limited, but that the human mind resists going beyond the edge of its current limited understanding (otherwise known as comfort zone)
Most of us don't deny that such a being can possibly exist. We just think it to be so incredibly unlikely that it is not worth belief. It doesn't limit our ability to learn, challenge ourselves, etc.

Anyhow, just remember Santa Clause, Thor, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and the Invisible Pink Unicorn while you are being extremely open minded. After all, you must take care not to get into a stagnant thinking mindset where you could dismiss such entities.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
To borrow an expression from the much maligned former Secretary Rumsfeld: it's one of those "unknowable unknowns".
I can understand that, however i could probably name more than a few people that claim to speak to this unknowable unknown on a daily basis.Is the answer to a philosophical question too much to ask? specially when the deity is also attributed omniscience

Quote:
And why, even if you want to imagine the creator of all things to be female
not that i do, however whenever i say "he" in reference to god, the image that always comes to my mind is a Caucasian giant white bearded man wearing a toga which i think is tosh

Quote:
would you not at least capitalize "God" out of respect for your creator?
If you could pic one of the following which come from the top of my head, it doesn't really matter which one since they are all right to some extent:

-im an antheist, though i wouldn't go out of my way to be insulting. I've no reason to pay respect to something i dont believe in.

-im an atheist. Im aware that someone somewhere might feel irritated at this and so i do it on purpose

-i figure that god would have more important things to care about than this

-God as opposed to god feels to specifically refer to the jeudo-xian god which assuming there is a god or gods, need to be her

Old 03-22-2008, 01:38 PM

creator is balanced and blended of both masculine and feminine, contains both within

Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Im not denying the existence of anything. However since both your mind and my mind are limited, we can only take measures to separate fantasy from fact and tricking ourselves into believing whats not there.

The best method so far is by logic and observation. This space being has not been observed and logic tells me against it(you never answered: why would it need to entertain itself?)

Quote:
I resist taking ridiculously large steps to avoid falling into delusion. If you honestly believe that anything you could possibly want is simply a positive thought away then by all means think that way but don't blame me for not closing my eyes and jumping off.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,891,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
You mean like it gets slower when passing through a medium or that it has slowed down by a few tenths of a meter over the last few billion years? because neither one favours the god idea.

Why don't you actually make an attempt at understanding before you bash. Relativity works because if i measure the speed of light here it will be the same as if you measure it somewhere else. Taken tentatively of course but my confidence comes from evidence that suggest these assumptions are right(ie muons)

Hey maybe they should stop teaching chemistry. Calculating pH? fuggetaboutit cause it relies on an assumption.

We might have to make a poll on what people believe is the least likely assumption to be wrong:

-there exists an objective reality

-IM ALWAYS RIGHT!!!! Now shut uP!!
Well some believe it may of been 10,000 times faster prior to 3,000 B.C.
The canadian mathematician, Alan Montgomery, has reported a computer analysis supporting the Setterfield/Norman results. His model indicates that the decay of velocity of light closely follows a cosecant-squared curve, and has been asymptotic since 1958. If he is correct, the speed of light was 10-30% faster in the time of Christ; twice as fast in the days of Solomon; four times as fast in the days of Abraham, and perhaps more than 10 million times faster prior to 3000 B.C.

The Controversy Continues: Speed of Light Slowing Down? - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House

Old 03-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well some believe it may of been 10,000 times faster prior to 3,000 B.C.
The canadian mathematician, Alan Montgomery, has reported a computer analysis supporting the Setterfield/Norman results. His model indicates that the decay of velocity of light closely follows a cosecant-squared curve, and has been asymptotic since 1958. If he is correct, the speed of light was 10-30% faster in the time of Christ; twice as fast in the days of Solomon; four times as fast in the days of Abraham, and perhaps more than 10 million times faster prior to 3000 B.C.

The Controversy Continues: Speed of Light Slowing Down? - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House
hahaha that article made me laugh, have you ever tried doing this thing called critical thinking?

Quote:
1657: Roemer 307,600. +/- 5400 km/sec 1875: Harvard 299,921. +/- 13 km/sec 1983: NBS (laser method): 299,792.4358 +/- 0.0003 km/sec
Can you honestly not see a problem with the accuracy of light speed measurements almost 4 centuries ago?

Ill give you a hint. They relied on the persons reflexes which only travel at about 80mps. Heck just look at the bloody quote, its actually written there, the error values changed 7 orders of magnitude.

Quote:
Some scientists worry that there may be yet other explanations for the red shift and that too much reliance may have been placed on Hubble's Law. Halton Arp, an American astronomer based in Germany, has collected "discrepant" red shifts which appear to be in conflict with traditional views. Some galaxies are even moving towards us, such as the Andromeda Galaxy.
You mean traditional views such as F=GmM/r^2?
forgetting the effects of gravity in cosmology is rather suspicious. Is Chuck Missler a scientist or a fundie? no wait i think i know
Quote:
Furthermore, William Tifft, an astronomer at the University of Arizona, has been collecting data on red shifts for about 20 years, and it now appears that the universe might not be expanding. Tifft has discovered that galaxies exhibit only certain discrete values, rather than the more random distribution one would expect if the shifts were distance related. The red shifts appear to be quantized.
More random distribution? What part of galaxies further away move faster than close by ones indicates any form of randomness?

Quote:
There are a number of Biblical passages that also seem to suggest this possibility
Is there one that translates to this?:
Δλ/λ=V/c

Old 03-22-2008, 02:11 PM

oh and i forgot to add about the supernova 1987A which you definitely must be familiar with by now. you little rascal, how do you explain us actually observing raw evidence of light being the same for ~170k years?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM

32,438 posts, read 17,773,215 times
Light slowing down in its old age? Guess nothing is immune to the aging process!

Well, those astral physics boys will be boys. Isn't there another posit that ponders the possibility to "bend" time? We are always discovering new concepts which govern our universe.

What is so difficult with the concept of a Being with no beginning and no end? It simply WAS in the beginning, IS now, and, shall be FOREVER and ever.

I love DimSumRaja's post: "Eternity all alone, well, the sameness of that gets old after awhile, and is not so much fun, so worlds and universes and galaxies and an array of life forms with endless possibilities and interactions were created by its self, out of its self for, well, entertainment! and a way to pass eternity!"

It almost seems like we were created as a game to while away the eternity. Coolness. But wouldn't that suggest that those who go to "heaven" for all eternity will at some point become bored with it all?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
What is so difficult with the concept of a Being with no beginning and no end? It simply WAS in the beginning, IS now, and, shall be FOREVER and ever.

I love DimSumRaja's post: "Eternity all alone, well, the sameness of that gets old after awhile, and is not so much fun, so worlds and universes and galaxies and an array of life forms with endless possibilities and interactions were created by its self, out of its self for, well, entertainment! and a way to pass eternity!"

It almost seems like we were created as a game to while away the eternity. Coolness. But wouldn't that suggest that those who go to "heaven" for all eternity will at some point become bored with it all?
Never bored because there are always new forms to incarnate, new knowledge to learn, new skills to explore. Plus we always are at choice. If we want something else we create it. There are planes where literally imagining something, it instantly takes form. Now on earth that would be really dangerous because humans don't have the level of mastery to handle that, it would be like giving a toddler a can of gasoline and a book of matches and saying 'Go play, honey.'

evolution never ends, either above (when we are in spirit form) or below (when we are here in human physical form). now that's my idea of heaven: endless learning, endless adventures, endless travels, endless incarnations, encless rapture, endless bliss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality