Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, it's not clever. It the use of simple basic logic.

OK, So please tell me what exactly is a miracle, and how to you validate it?
Let's just stick to the "miracles of Jesus".

The second half of your last sentence is the problem. You cannot validate it. You just want people to believe it on faith. And for many of us, the answer is quite simple -- no, we won't just believe it.

I am now Buddhist. That doesn't mean that I believe in everything in the Tipitaka or the Dhammapada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 10:53 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What do you think was God's origins? Who or what created the creator?
There really only seem to be two possibilities when considering the origins of God. One is that he was created by an earlier creator God. Zeus, for example, was believed to be the child of the Titans Kronos and Rhea, who were themselves the creations of the earth and sky. And who created the earth and sky? This is unknown. But it leads to the obvious problem of an infinite regression of creators Beings. It doesn't really answer the question of origins.

The second possibility is that God has always existed. There was no "in the beginning," because there has always been God. What God was doing for the eternity before He decided to create our universe is unknown. But is this logical or even possible?

Well, yes and no. What we actually observe is that the conditions that prevail in the universe are determined by matter, and matter is simply a form of energy as stated in E=MC². And all experimentation with the various forms of energy have consistently shown that energy cannot either be created or destroyed. Which has led to the establishment of the law of conservation of energy. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. If energy can neither be created or destroyed, then it is eternal by definition. Which means that the existence of something eternal is both logical and possible. The difference between energy and the God of Abraham is that there is no uncertainty about the existence of energy, because energy is matter and the earth and moon and stars and humans are all made of matter. God on the other hand appears to be entirely the creation of the human imagination. No such Being is actually observed to exist, only proposed and declared to be true.

It is certainly possible to worship energy as the ultimate creator of all things I suppose. But there is no real reason to suppose that energy cares one way or the other.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There really only seem to be two possibilities when considering the origins of God. One is that he was created by an earlier creator God. Zeus, for example, was believed to be the child of the Titans Kronos and Rhea, who were themselves the creations of the earth and sky. And who created the earth and sky? This is unknown. But it leads to the obvious problem of an infinite regression of creators Beings. It doesn't really answer the question of origins.

The second possibility is that God has always existed. There was no "in the beginning," because there has always been God. What God was doing for the eternity before He decided to create our universe is unknown. But is this logical or even possible?

Well, yes and no. What we actually observe is that the conditions that prevail in the universe are determined by matter, and matter is simply a form of energy as stated in E=MC². And all experimentation with the various forms of energy have consistently shown that energy cannot either be created or destroyed. Which has led to the establishment of the law of conservation of energy. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. If energy can neither be created or destroyed, then it is eternal by definition. Which means that the existence of something eternal is both logical and possible. The difference between energy and the God of Abraham is that there is no uncertainty about the existence of energy, because energy is matter and the earth and moon and stars and humans are all made of matter. God on the other hand appears to be entirely the creation of the human imagination. No such Being is actually observed to exist, only proposed and declared to be true.

It is certainly possible to worship energy as the ultimate creator of all things I suppose. But there is no real reason to suppose that energy cares one way or the other.
You seem to have forgotten another obvious possibility.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, it's not clever. It the use of simple basic logic.

OK, So please tell me what exactly is a miracle, and how to you validate it?
A true miracle would be an event which clearly and unequivocally violates the known laws of physics. Not something which simply forces us to modify our understanding of physics, but actually contradicts our understanding of the known laws of physics, as magic claims to do for example. Magic of course has always proven to be trickery, and not the actual contradiction of the laws of physics. Miracles have never been shown to be anything other than misinterpretation or lack of basic understanding of things which were declared to be "miraculous" because their cause was not understood. In truth there has never been a single example of a genuine miracle, only tall tales and human ignorance.

You invalidate a "miracle" by demonstrating that its causes were entirely natural rather than supernatural, and were not a violation of the laws of physics.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem to have forgotten another obvious possibility.
Well I stated that God appears to be entirely created by the human imagination. If God is the nothing more than a creation of human imagination than no such God has ever existed to begin with. God was either created or has always existed. What possibility have I forgotten?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Well I stated that God appears to be entirely created by the human imagination. If God is the nothing more than a creation of human imagination than no such God has ever existed to begin with. God was either created or has always existed. What possibility have I forgotten?
I missed that. My apologies. And that is exactly right.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I missed that. My apologies. And that is exactly right.
Thank you for allowing me to clarify.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
To answer OP, God us eternal. He exusts outside of our tgree diminsional world including time.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
To answer OP, God us eternal. He exusts outside of our tgree diminsional world including time.
10^10? eternal? 10^10^100 eternal? yeah, its internal, like you are compared to a moth.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
That answer would satisfy most non-inquisitive children around the age of 11 or 12.

Doesn't work for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality