U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,931,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The Watchtower's idea of charity work is converting people.
Blind leading the blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
a co-worker recently quit her job and went with her husband as a FT volunteers at WHQ of JW.
She and her husband are working with an in-house developed system that has over a hundred IT developers writing code.

She wrote to me,

"So it's not exactly a foreign missionary assignment, but the work we'll be doing supports everything from international construction to disaster relief work. So, I'm excited to get to contribute to it.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witne...wick-projects/"

To OP, whether JW is in decline or not but I would appreciate any effort by any group that helps in disaster relief work. I am not a follower of JW or a Christian but I appreciate the stance taken by my fellow worker.
This is BS. JWs do not do disaster relief work. Their idea of helping people is to give them propaganda and try to recruit them. I know they did some help only to other JWs in disaster areas but its very small and only to help get them back out preaching again.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 PM

4,834 posts, read 12,985,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingtops View Post
Being involved in this <group> for several years I keep a watch on them. They are in actual neg decline in much of Europe and in the US where they were born they are in decline year over year and the actual increase is very small. The graph is not good for the cult .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c01Z...ature=youtu.be
As an exJW too, that is good news.

They were against charitable work when i was in it.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-27-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 PM

4,011 posts, read 1,873,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingtops View Post
JWs do not do disaster relief work. .
I find at www.jw.org that Jehovah's Witnesses do to disaster relief work.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 PM

29,814 posts, read 5,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find at www.jw.org that Jehovah's Witnesses do to disaster relief work.
All I found was a some handy advice about preparing in practical ways for dsisaters. And not a word about thanking God after your house vanishes into a crevasse.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:25 AM

6,727 posts, read 10,754,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The sooner they become open to public scrutiny and investigation and the enormity of this deluded and exploitative cult is shown to the world, the better. And Scientology is next on the list.
Don't you think that it is good to have sects which challenge evangelical Christianity?

In my opinion, the decline of non-Christian groups gives more strength to the biggest cult of all. Or do you think that it helps to destroy evangelical Christianity?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:35 AM

3,115 posts, read 1,361,318 times
I could never understand the appeal of the Jehovah's Witnesses since under their own dogma only 144,0000 people go to heaven. I mean your odds of winning the Powerball are greater than getting into the JW pearly gates. Combine that with eschewing birthdays and holidays and their concept of shunning, it not hard to see why they are losing adherents.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 AM

6,727 posts, read 10,754,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I could never understand the appeal of the Jehovah's Witnesses since under their own dogma only 144,0000 people go to heaven. I mean your odds of winning the Powerball are greater than getting into the JW pearly gates. Combine that with eschewing birthdays and holidays and their concept of shunning, it not hard to see why they are losing adherents.
But at least the "losers" don't suffer. The losers are just annihilated. There is no torment or suffering. Personally, I don't see why anyone would even have any kind of problem with Jehova's Witnesses.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM

13,318 posts, read 7,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
They grew beyond 144,000 long ago and revised their doctrine to where the 144,000 are the ones with the plumb, cushy existence in heaven proper and the rest are administering god's kingdom on earth -- still better than the JW alternative of annihilation (they don't teach hellthreat -- one of their few virtues but for the way they make living in their "kingdom" its own hell).

So the way it works now is that you get to exist by being a Witness, and if you're a particularly good Witness you get all the way to heaven.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 969,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But at least the "losers" don't suffer. The losers are just annihilated. There is no torment or suffering. Personally, I don't see why anyone would even have any kind of problem with Jehova's Witnesses.
It's the Watchtower that exJWs have a problem with. The Jehovah's Witnesses are our parents, sibling, children, friends, spouses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality