U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,511,956 times

Advertisements

Heh...this reminds me of a question I asked my mother when I was a child. I said "Mom, if Eve was the first woman, why wasn't she named Dawn?"

That bit of impudence got me a stiff belt in the chops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM

3,773 posts, read 7,015,677 times
That is only man's way of thinking that they are superior to women not God's way. God made man and woman for procreation and to find their soulmate that they live in a paradisiac world.

Man in no way is superior to woman ,it just the fact that there is to be order and without order there is chaos.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM

249 posts, read 360,263 times
Default Question everything!!!

BTW..

A question is never dumb..

Asking questions is a sign of a healthy intelligence.

Question everything!!!

---

"He who asks a question.. is a fool for a moment.

He who never asks.. is a fool for ever."

Chinese Proverb

Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM

452 posts, read 1,073,306 times
There are as many translations of the bible as there are people reading it. Revelation can scare the hell out of you

When I was active in church as a young bride and mother, my then-husband was a deacon. We followed what the elders decided we should do and I remember...being a real rebel and wanting to speak my mind. But I knew someone had to be in charge. Of the day to day running of the church and our home. Fortunately for him...my husband didn't mind my sticking my nose in and doing things my way. He had other fish to fry. So to speak. ANYHOW....I still believe that Eve was created to be a companion for the man God made but I also know in my heart that women pretty much deal the cards when it comes to the home and hearth issues. No real Christian man or ANY man would do harm to his wife or family and use the words of the bible concerning man being the "head of the household" ,etc etc... as an excuse.

Eventually, my rebelious nature led me straight out the church door and I've never looked back. I'm not anti-religion but being a spirtual being is more important for me than worshipping at someone else's altar. A man's/woman's altar. That...I will never do.

I enjoy reading all the diverse thoughts and ideas everyone has brought to this thread and I'm also impressed that no one feels the need to stomp on someone else's beliefs.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM

12,605 posts, read 12,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
There are as many translations of the bible as there are people reading it. Revelation can scare the hell out of you
Revelation...yikes. I personally think you can only have the full-on experience if you either listen to Incense and Peppermints or watch The Wall while reading Revelation.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM

452 posts, read 1,073,306 times
I might just try that.....music soothes the savage beast ....doesn't it???

Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,174,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe this is the answer to your question
Genesis 2:21-22 "So the Lord God caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep. He took one of Adam's ribs and closed up the place from which He had taken it. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib and brought her to Adam".
Well, not really. I know what the versus say, I was just curious to see how people thought that happened. when I was in bible school I could not imagine how God could make Adams side split and then that would just whirl into another human being, and meanwhile, Adam is miraculously sticked up or "put back together".

I questioned this a lot in my classes, and at one point I found it impossible to believe. I told the nun I did not believe in God and she told me I was going to Hell. Needless to say there were no more bible classes after that discussion.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,174,117 times
Ok, wanted to add...some interesting stuff here. The more I think about it, the more I cannot wrap my head around how people can find evolution so improbable, but it is completely likely that some invisible being speaks and a mans abdomen is ripped open, a rib is removed from his skeleton and from that another human is formed, and then the man is put back together, and so begins life.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,859,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Ok, wanted to add...some interesting stuff here. The more I think about it, the more I cannot wrap my head around how people can find evolution so improbable, but it is completely likely that some invisible being speaks and a mans abdomen is ripped open, a rib is removed from his skeleton and from that another human is formed, and then the man is put back together, and so begins life.
Well we might be talking about two different things when speaking evolution, but I believe the odds of a first cell randomly materializing is equivalent to something like 2 billion blind people solving a rubix cube at the same time. I also think the idea of so much order coming from disorder is difficult to believe in.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,743,767 times
mari4him wrote:
Quote:
In the biblical sense, male headship simply means that man bears the primary responsibility in leading the couple/family in a manner that is glorifying to God. The woman is to help the man in this purpose. This does not in any way imply that the woman is inferior to the man.

A way this can be looked at is as a line of authority.
I just really find that way of thinking to be insulting to women. There's nothing about men that make them any more capable of being the one in charge. Women are equally intelligent and able to make decisions. Since I don't believe there is a God I obviously don't believe that this arrangement was dreamed up by him. Men who are more aggressive and physically stronger have just pushed women into a submissive role and it's been going on for as long as there have been human beings. When I see the mess the world is in today due to the poor judgement in male leaders I can't help but wonder if the world might be in better shape if there were an equal number of female leaders. I'm sure President PotatoHead's wife could do a much better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality