Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
How do you figure?

There is obvious bias in atheism. Atheism declares that there is no God. Am I missing something?
No it does not. It is merely an “individual” declaring he/she doe not “believe” in a god(usually a claimed god) due to lack of evidence. It is a minute faction that declares positively of “no” god.

Personally, I consider myself an atheist based on lack of evidence for a god. I am agnostic as to whether a god exist. This is not rocket science.

As an atheist, I do not believe I can do whatever I want. I do not desire to eat children or lie, steal or murder other humans. It is nonsense that anyone, especially those of the abrahamic religion, to accuse atheists otherwise, especially, considering its OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You're missing the point: Atheists see no evidence for any kind of a god, therefore they do not believe one exists.

If an atheist should be presented with incontrovertible evidence s/he is wrong, then they would no longer be one.

Simple. For some.
No, I'm not missing the point. If I tell people that there is no God, I am clearly biased. If I tell people there is a God, I am clearly biased.

How can you not own this?

You are a very stubborn and ignorant person, aren't you? Your version of "humanism" may differ significantly from somebody else's. They may decide that your culture is a rat like culture and find it righteous to put you in ovens.

There is no fundamental morality in atheism. Who are you to perpetuate your own vision of morality? What makes you special?

Other people don't share your convictions. Clearly you have been sheltered.

Last edited by Jobster; 11-30-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 08:50 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
No it does not. It is merely an “individual” declaring he/she doe not “believe” in a god(usually a claimed god) due to lack of evidence. It is a minute faction that declares positively of “no” god.

Personally, I consider myself an atheist based on lack of evidence for a god. I am agnostic as to whether a god exist. This is not rocket science.

As an atheist, I do not believe I can do whatever I want. I do not desire to eat children or lie, steal or murder other humans. It is nonsense that anyone, especially those of the abrahamic religion, to accuse atheists otherwise, especially, considering its OT.
So what about Christians who believe there is evidence. You're effectively disqualifying anything they say because you believe your stance is superior.

Either way, it is BIAS. As you said, it's not rocket science.

Also, to me, you appear to be a weak atheist. A real atheist you are not.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:03 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
How do you figure?

There is obvious bias in atheism. Atheism declares that there is no God. Am I missing something?
There are few things in life where bias is not involved. So get over that.

I don't know how much more simply it can be put, but I will try it one more time.

We don't believe in God because we see no actual evidence for God. Faith is not evidence.

And to restate what I have said previously -- there is nothing wrong with faith...except that it isn't evidence. After all, there are millions of Hindus who have faith in Ganesha and Shiva, etc. That doesn't make those gods real. Most of us realize the religion a person has is almost always what you were born around. Jobster, if you were born in Buriram, Thailand, there's a 93% chance you'd be Buddhist, a 3% chance you'd be Islamic, and a whopping .7% (that's 7/10 of 1%) you'd be Christian. If you were born in Saudi Arabia, you'd be Muslim. That's the way the world works.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:04 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post

That's a very good post. I leave the door open to a deist god.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I thought it odd that so many atheists come out of their way to come here to attempt to discredit Christ.

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this would matter.

I mean, why would I care about what someone else believes?

In fact, some of them can get downright rude about it. But for some reason, atheists feel they have the right to do it.

Could it be they are searching for the truth?

Or maybe they see the truth, but they're fighting to submit to the one true God?

For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
I am an atheist and I speak out against most religions because, for the most part, they do humanity more harm than good. There are various forms of bigotry and/or oppression in all of the popular religions. Furthermore many religions stifle scientific inquiry. All of this would be grudgingly acceptable if there was any valid evidence that a god wants it that way. For starters, it would help if there was valid evidence that a god actually exists.

There are individuals who use their religious belief in a manner that is more positive than it is negative. It would be the religious person who, for example, helps the poor, and also finds their own religious belief comforting in ways unachievable in any other manner. For these individuals to have a religious belief that is a positive to humanity, he or she would have to be free from adhering to religious doctrines that deny basic human rights to anyone, including the religion's own followers. Due to secular influences, this type of religious person is slowly becoming fairly common in modern cultures, but they are in the minority, globally.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:15 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I think a lot of this thread is based on a fundamental misunderstanding about unbelief. Unbelief is really a consequence of being a skeptic -- a person who does not afford belief to the unsubstantiated because they have no valid reason to think the unsubstantiated likely to be true. This doesn't merely result in rejecting the assertions of religious faith -- it results in rejecting any unsupported assertions. Examples might be, the existence of discarnate beings such as ghosts, invisible realms like heaven or hell, the existence of a soul, of telepathy, homeopathy, the efficacy of fringe quasi-medical practices like acupuncture, and so on. Depending on what a particular skeptic is (mis)informed about or hasn't given enough thought to, they may hold inconsistent views on some of these things, but any random atheist is apt to reject all these other things as well.

So it all comes down, not to your god-(dis)beliefs as such, but to your epistemology. How do you decide what is worthy of belief, and what constitutes valid substantiation for belief? If you consistently decline to believe in the unsubstantiated then you will not believe in god(s), a flat earth, the illuminati conspiracy, alien lizard people living in disguise amongst us, various other conspiracy theories, crackpot "medicine" or any number of other things.

The reason that theists don't care to see the root source of atheism is that it lumps their cherished beliefs in with any number of nutty ideas that they themselves may regard as untrue or unlikely to be true, and they find that an existential threat -- that their deep and broad investment in their god-beliefs is no less specious and no less based on meaningless deepities than are the earnest beliefs of, say, a flat-earther. And that is an intolerable thing to contemplate. Hence -- they must act as if atheism were some discrete cause of its own rather than just another consequence of a more fundamental epistemological approach to life. It is more comfortable to imagine that atheists are some sort of "secret believer" and that they are all theologically ignorant (despite most of them being former believers) and on and on.

I challenge any theist here to approach atheism with a real desire to understand what it actually is and what unbelievers actually hold as actual reasons for unbelief. Rather than simply cherry picking superficialities that seem to support some preconception of what atheists are and why they are.

I haven't seen it happen yet in this thread. Are you up for it?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I thought it odd that so many atheists come out of their way to come here to attempt to discredit Christ.

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this would matter.

I mean, why would I care about what someone else believes?

In fact, some of them can get downright rude about it. But for some reason, atheists feel they have the right to do it.

Could it be they are searching for the truth?

Or maybe they see the truth, but they're fighting to submit to the one true God?

For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
I believe it's because they seek out validation that their beliefs are correct. They want to be told that they're ok to not be religious.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
No, I'm not missing the point. If I tell people that there is no God, I am clearly biased. If I tell people there is a God, I am clearly biased.

How can you not own this?

You are a very stubborn and ignorant person, aren't you? Your version of "humanism" may differ significantly from somebody else's. They may decide that your culture is a rat like culture and find it righteous to put you in ovens.

There is no fundamental morality in atheism. Who are you to perpetuate your own vision of morality? What makes you special?

Other people don't share your convictions. Clearly you have been sheltered.
No. YOU are missing the point. Ask the Atheists on here. Never mind, I'll do it. Atheists, please speak up and answer this question. Do you tell people that there is no God, as Jobster says you do?

Or, as you asked me to post in your FAQ, do you say that you lack a belief in a God without making a positive claim about it?

Maybe you can explain to Jobster that you are moral people without belonging to a church.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
So what about Christians who believe there is evidence. You're effectively disqualifying anything they say because you believe your stance is superior.

Either way, it is BIAS. As you said, it's not rocket science.

Also, to me, you appear to be a weak atheist. A real atheist you are not.
If god were a fact it would not be faith. Everyone is entitled to their opinions concerning evidence. Because theee are differences in opinions, we debate each other. I was once convinced the Christian god existed. After applying honest inspection of its claim and having fully read the Bible, I decided it was not true. I suspect most Christians consideration of evidence is clouded by their indoctrination and wishful thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality