Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM

678 posts, read 429,435 times

Advertisements

It would be easy to feel that way about my religion yet I simply look at as it's right for me, I enjoy it and I get something out of it. It's definitely not right for everyone.

Yet I know some Christians who feel their religion is morally superior. They don't seem to understand how a person of another faith, especially an atheist could have similar core values and live a moral life simply because doing right makes them feel good and they don't need the fear of God. Maybe it's because they tend to keep a limited social circle of like minded believers or don't have that much experience or knowledge about other religions?

I know I'll get the question "How do you define morals"? I don't think it's up to me to define it, but I would say love, being open minded to people of differences and actions over words are good values to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:14 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Excellent post.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
It would be easy to feel that way about my religion yet I simply look at as it's right for me, I enjoy it and I get something out of it. It's definitely not right for everyone.

Yet I know some Christians who feel their religion is morally superior. They don't seem to understand how a person of another faith, especially an atheist could have similar core values and live a moral life simply because doing right makes them feel good and they don't need the fear of God. Maybe it's because they tend to keep a limited social circle of like minded believers or don't have that much experience or knowledge about other religions?

I know I'll get the question "How do you define morals"? I don't think it's up to me to define it, but I would say love, being open minded to people of differences and actions over words are good values to start with.
morals is not proof or non proof of anything. I know plenty in my field that aren't religious at all and think they are the gods people are describing.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
In Christianity people who humble themselves would be the greatest before God , as religious superiority would be arrogant self righteousness , as Jesus call his own it sit with Him and not to stand in pride looking down on others

Old 12-04-2017, 03:32 PM

3,640 posts, read 41,468 times
Quote:
A religion has to be right for everyone or else it isn't right religion.

Why would a religion that is right for you but definitely not right for everyone?

Quote:
Yet I know some Christians who feel their religion is morally superior.
Wrong thinking! It is people who are either morally good or bad. Not every Christian turns the other cheek or sticks to the golden rule. And of course which sect's religion is morally superior?

Quote:
They don't seem to understand how a person of another faith, especially an atheist could have similar core values and live a moral life simply because doing right makes them feel good and they don't need the fear of God.
Each human being has potential to do good and do bad. An atheist could be doing good and living moral life but what's there to hold him back from doing bad as he has the potential to do so unless he also fears God as a consequence of his bad act?

Quote:
Maybe it's because they tend to keep a limited social circle of like minded believers or don't have that much experience or knowledge about other religions?
All that could be true in many cases but not in all the cases. All that could be also irrelevant as long as someone understands and complies with the core principles of his own religion. I have yet to come across a religion that teaches killing of peaceful people of any religion or of no religion.

Quote:
Yes, it is not just faith (words) but the actions that matter the most to illustrate higher humanity and moral values.

Personally, I see Christians, Jews and the rest, whether religious or of no religion, as human beings like myself. If they live in peace with me, I will certainly live in peace with them. The sum total of my religious belief and actions is:

Believing in God and doing good to other human beings, other earthly creatures and earthly environment so that humanity can carry on existing on earth and in good earthly environment. If this religion is not good for others then I would like to be educated about that other better religion.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I could not conceivably disagree more.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM

678 posts, read 429,435 times
Quote:

Why would a religion that is right for you but definitely not right for everyone?
To think a religion has to be right for everyone may come across sounding like a bigot. People are in different situations and there isn't a one size fits all in terms of religion.

My religion is very diverse in terms of beliefs and very progressive. It doesn't appeal to my Christian friends and family members, especially the conservative ones. I'm fine with that and we sometimes talk religion but I don't want to directly offend or worse make them feel uneasy/anxious. I recognize and accept what my religion does for me personally, but feel no need to try to convert anyone.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
There are religions -- and there is truth.

I'm pretty sure they have not yet been introduced, let alone become kissin' cousins.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:24 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:

Wrong thinking! It is people who are either morally good or bad. Not every Christian turns the other cheek or sticks to the golden rule. And of course which sect's religion is morally superior?

Each human being has potential to do good and do bad. An atheist could be doing good and living moral life but what's there to hold him back from doing bad as he has the potential to do so unless he also fears God as a consequence of his bad act?

All that could be true in many cases but not in all the cases. All that could be also irrelevant as long as someone understands and complies with the core principles of his own religion. I have yet to come across a religion that teaches killing of peaceful people of any religion or of no religion.

Yes, it is not just faith (words) but the actions that matter the most to illustrate higher humanity and moral values.

Personally, I see Christians, Jews and the rest, whether religious or of no religion, as human beings like myself. If they live in peace with me, I will certainly live in peace with them. The sum total of my religious belief and actions is:

Believing in God and doing good to other human beings, other earthly creatures and earthly environment so that humanity can carry on existing on earth and in good earthly environment. If this religion is not good for others then I would like to be educated about that other better religion.
another one who doesn't get it.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
another one who doesn't get it.
It's because many (most?) fundies lack empathy and a fully-functioning conscience. They NEED restraints/spiritual shackles to keep them staggering along a more-or-less moral line.

Most people do not. Their sense of right/wrong, good/bad, hurtful/helpful, is in-born -- whether they worship Allah/God/G-d/Cosmic Mushroom/Nothing At All.

It's why one of the most puzzling things to a fundie is the concept of an ethical atheist. They just cannot wrap their simple little heads around it.

Bless their hearts.

And rue their stunted spirits.

And hope their children manage a real education. At least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality