Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I was thinking the same about your fundie mind. It's incredible that you can believe that this universe exists without a creator.
why does it have to be a creator like your god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 03:45 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Except, of course, your creator - right?

But everything else - fer shure needs a creator. Absolutely. But your godling gets a pass.
Shiva! The creator and destroyer!

Old 12-06-2017, 03:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
why does it have to be a creator like your god?
Based only on the general revelation of creation, it doesn't.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
My point, mordant, is that someone believing God is wrathful, for instance, does not necessarily mirror their personality, any more than a person who believes God is indifferent (or non-existent) must therefore be uncaring.
I would say such a person is either identifying with the wrathful deity, or afraid of it. Which is a negative way of relating to it I guess.

Personally I never related either way to that particular aspect of the fundamentalist deity concept. I had a clear conscience, and was not easily made to doubt myself. But a lot of people around me were tormented about such things.

Authoritarian religion tends to select for pleasers, people with damaged or stunted cores who fear confrontation, censure, or doubt about themselves. Also, people with fixed mindsets, who fear being exposed as less than Good Enough -- as if one can never improve or do better next time. In my case, the attraction was that of a pleaser -- someone who needed approval from authority figures, reassurance that I was doing the Right Thing. Which is an odd paradox I guess given that I did not fear god's wrath. I guess that I figured god would be better than his representatives, inherently. That he knew my innermost being, which I saw as sincere and ethical. But humans often demonstrate mistaken ideas about such things, or make rash assumptions.

Now that I think of it ... it would be critical to not assume that dysfunctional people around you trying to control you through shame would be at all like god. I understood that when I encountered such toxicity, it did not reflect my understanding of god. If I had ever thought god was like that, and that it was normal or okay to be controlling and shaming, it would have been a whole different ballgame.

Last edited by mordant; 12-06-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
I used to defend my faith often here, but when so many Christians are acting more like Caligula than Christ, I'm finding less and less to defend. I still follow Christ, and always will, but I'll no longer defend that here, because I know so many people who have been beaten and broken by other Christians, I feel the pain and frustrations in their posts, I will no longer be complicit in that.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
To an extent. I have always said that there is no practical difference between an indifferent, uninvolved or non-existent god. How would you possibly tell them apart?

Eye color? Except for the indifferent one. That one is easy to identify by His disheveled appearance. He just doesn't even care anymore.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I used to defend my faith often here, but when so many Christians are acting more like Caligula than Christ, I'm finding less and less to defend. I still follow Christ, and always will, but I'll no longer defend that here, because I know so many people who have been beaten and broken by other Christians, I feel the pain and frustrations in their posts, I will no longer be complicit in that.
Thank you for that honest post.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM

678 posts, read 429,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Based only on the general revelation of creation, it doesn't.
Why does it have to be a single creator? Because it's easier for our minds to comprehend and build an allegiance to? People used to believe in more than one God right? And what happened, it got too confusing?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Why does it have to be a single creator? Because it's easier for our minds to comprehend and build an allegiance to? People used to believe in more than one God right? And what happened, it got too confusing?
Again...based ONLY on the general revelation that we see in creation, it doesn't. The fact that the universe exists only points to the idea that there was a Creator(s).

Old 12-06-2017, 04:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I am glad that you are doing the same in your group. You know, nobody likes people that are held to notions of love, compassion, and understanding, for all people, over a personal need or t-shirt color. My brother always told me I would be great at inter affairs. I don't due party lines, I do justice and liberty for all. Nice to see a fellow on the other team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality