Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I said your because you said Mordant had broken off the yoke of God's. OK where does Mordant or Trans or your sense of morality fall short of God's? What have you learned from God that is moral that you didn't know before?
No...I said that of Transponder.
Anyway, in answer to your question, "where does our sense of morality fall short of God's?"
I can't answer for mordant, or Transponder, so you'll have to ask them.
For me, it was when I realized that I had sinned first against God; second, against my neighbor. What I didn't know before that moment is that God created me and I am created in His image...therefore He has the right to hold me to His standard. Since His nature is unchanging, His standard is absolute.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What ARE you going on about? I also do not blame whatever in my life is not to my liking, on my faith.
So you DO have faith! What is the source of your "faith"?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Man there is a lot of hate in your post.

Your sickening HATE is blinding you

Bleeding Heart Tightwads - The New York Times
And there's a perfect example of the Christian perfidy I'm talking about.

Me having the temerity to critique Christianity means I'm consumed with hatred. What an intellectually dishonest, ad hominem attack that is.

And then you post an article, apropos of nothing, that liberals don't give generously. Assuming that I'm politically liberal and of course ignoring that liberals tend to believe that the mechanism for helping the poor involves government and higher taxes. In a liberal democracy like, say, Norway (you know, that place that Trump hopes will send us more immigrants), there's not much going on in terms of private charity because it's not needed. Everyone's already got an actual safety net. Because they're not going on about how the evil government is stealing their hard-earned dollars. You decide who is more stingy -- someone who moans about how they're being forced against their will to take care of the "weakest among us" -- and who HAVE to be forced against their will -- or those who accept that responsibility without complaint? In fact I've read stats that indicate the citizens of Norway have a high level of satisfaction concerning what they get in exchange for a nominal tax rate of about 55%. Like never having to worry about health care or dying in penury.

And of course -- you know me personally and know my giving habits and the causes I don't contribute to I guess. Wonder where that clairvoyance comes from?

Last edited by mordant; 01-22-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
So you DO have faith! What is the source of your "faith"?
You know perfectly well what I was responding to. I do not blame anything on my faith of origin -- my former faith. Are you even capable of staying on-topic?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
No...I said that of Transponder.
Anyway, in answer to your question, "where does our sense of morality fall short of God's?"
I can't answer for mordant, or Transponder, so you'll have to ask them.
For me, it was when I realized that I had sinned first against God; second, against my neighbor. What I didn't know before that moment is that God created me and I am created in His image...therefore He has the right to hold me to His standard. Since His nature is unchanging, His standard is absolute.
Okay I take back my rebuttal then, you did say that of Transponder.

Although I don't take it back because it would be just as applicable to him really in principle.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Make you a deal. I won't call you a conservetard if you don't call me a liberal nutter. That way, neither of us will violate the terms of service. 'K?

As to what you think I'm complaining about ... I have no idea. Doesn't matter. You're out of ideas to share, and are resorting to character assassination. You're not the first, and won't be the last.
Listen prodigal...if I was interested in the assassination of your character, I wouldn't waste any words to get er dun. I happen to thoroughly enjoy your character.
God cannot sin, so His standard is objective. (2 Timothy 2:13).
God's moral standard prohibits lying, a standard flowing from His nature that cannot lie. (Hebrews 6:18).
Have you fallen short of God's absolute, objective moral standard? (Romans 3:23).
You do remember the judgement that sin brings don't you? (2 Thessalonians 1:8,9).
You do remember how God poured out His justice on His only begotten Son at the cross and gives grace to those who turn in repentant faith to the Lord Jesus...don't you? (2 Corinthians 5:21; Ephesians 2:8–9).

May the Lord give you wisdom, mordant, to earnestly contend for the faith (Jude 3).

Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
You know perfectly well what I was responding to. I do not blame anything on my faith of origin -- my former faith. Are you even capable of staying on-topic?
So you don't have faith?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
So you don't have faith?
You know perfectly well that I am a former believer. Why are you affecting ignorance about it?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Listen prodigal...if I was interested in the assassination of your character, I wouldn't waste any words to get er dun. I happen to thoroughly enjoy your character.
Quote:
No...you see, you're a liberal lunatic...still complaining about a war that has already been won. What followers of Christ are still dealing with is the woe of aftermath...similar to the recent US election.
I think it's fair to say that "liberal lunatic" is your clumsy attempt at a deliberate character assassination / insult.

Now suck it up like a man and apologize for that. First to me, and then you might consider apologizing to your god, if you actually care about how your behavior reflects on him.
Quote:
God cannot sin, so His standard is objective. (2 Timothy 2:13).
God's moral standard prohibits lying, a standard flowing from His nature that cannot lie. (Hebrews 6:18).
Have you fallen short of God's absolute, objective moral standard? (Romans 3:23).
You do remember the judgement that sin brings don't you? (2 Thessalonians 1:8,9).
You do remember how God poured out His justice on His only begotten Son at the cross and gives grace to those who turn in repentant faith to the Lord Jesus...don't you? (2 Corinthians 5:21; Ephesians 2:8–9).

May the Lord give you wisdom, mordant, to earnestly contend for the faith (Jude 3).
You haven't demonstrated that your invisible friend exists, so whether or not he can sin is irrelevant.
As is his alleged moral standard.
As is his role as judge, jury and executioner.
As is his baroque plan of redemption from a concocted problem of "sin".

Step one is to substantiate his existence. Which you can't, because you've conveniently couched his existence as a non-falsifiable hypothesis. And inconveniently for you I've already very thoroughly done what so many theists wish we atheists would do. I have "just believed", way back on Jan 9, 1963 and for thirty plus years following that. So put up or shut up.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
You know perfectly well that I am a former believer. Why are you affecting ignorance about it?
Isn't faith in God awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality