U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM

2,611 posts, read 532,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I love the irony of a fundie making this type of statement. I judge only the Christians that make it their mission to judge and punish others.

Right. And you are quite vocal about attacking anyone that claims the beliefs, whether or not they've judged you. And ironically, you can't see that when you come at someone loaded for bear that perhaps they might not appreciate it and they might respond with negative attitudes.

Look...I don't hate you or anyone. I think most Christians are probably just like me. We want to live our lives in peace, we don't get up in the morning looking to attack anyone. But if all you want is to pick a fight with me or others? I'm done. It's just not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Right. And you are quite vocal about attacking anyone that claims the beliefs, whether or not they've judged you. And ironically, you can't see that when you come at someone loaded for bear that perhaps they might not appreciate it and they might respond with negative attitudes.

Look...I don't hate you or anyone. I think most Christians are probably just like me. We want to live our lives in peace, we don't get up in the morning looking to attack anyone. But if all you want is to pick a fight with me or others? I'm done. It's just not worth it.
It seems like you can dish it out but can't take it in return. Do you think people appreciate it when you call them immoral sinners worthy of eternal punishment?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM

10,786 posts, read 3,810,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Yet another Christianity bashing thread.

Ho hum.

You won't see me weighing in on the issue either.
I am referring to evangelical Christianity specifically. Itís a movement that is mainly about far right politics, and Iím calling them out. There are other Christian groups that are nothing like evangelicals. I have no issue with them.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It seems like you can dish it out but can't take it in return. Do you think people appreciate it when you call them immoral sinners worthy of eternal punishment?
You realize that I call myself the exact same thing, right? Do you get that?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 3,810,661 times
Quote:
What I find really bizarre is that evangelicals more than most Christians believe the Bible to be the literal Word of God and yet they ignore most of what it says.
Indeed. That’s why I am disgusted at people like my father (an evangelical pastor!), who embrace far-right politics. Apparently, equal access to a quality public education is too much to ask. We can’t even have policies to “teach a man to fish” because too many of “those people” are just lazy and don’t want to work.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM

20,355 posts, read 10,126,609 times
Quote:
And lumping everyone else in the same category as yourself is a compliment?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And lumping everyone else in the same category as yourself is a compliment?
It demonstrates that I am not merely accusing others of being horrible rotten people and thinking I'm better than them.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM

20,355 posts, read 10,126,609 times
Quote:
It demonstrates that I am not merely accusing others of being horrible rotten people and thinking I'm better than them.
All it demonstrates is your indoctrination into a small sub-set of Christianity with a bitterly jaundiced view of humanity and a fear of a monstrous god-thing.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 306,196 times
Quote:
You can abuse yourself all day and nobody will care. It is not a valid excuse to abuse and insult other people. And claiming to do it at the behest of a God is sick and disgusting. Take responsibility for your actions, own up to your hatred and bigotry and I would have much more respect for you. Blaming your bad behavior on a deity or instructions that you read in a book is pathetic.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 AM

13,533 posts, read 7,509,575 times
Quote:
I truly DO understand the point.

I used to know a pastor pretty well who had the same view, and his way of conveying it was to point at people with his index finger but also his thumb hyperextended, pointing to himself, and say "when I call you out as a sinner I'm also calling myself out".

But that you include yourself, and/or style yourself as merely a messenger, and/or say it very "nicely", doesn't change that you ARE judging others. Inherently. And while it's noble in a way to include yourself in the judgment, and I have no reason to think you're insincere in that, it doesn't really change what's wrong about judging others. You are perfectly within your rights to judge yourself, but not anyone else.

Also, the objection on offer here is not so much that you're talking about some general principle of guilt, posed in a philosophical way ... you're getting down to particular cases, even when those particular cases run counter to the increasing societal consensus that certain things are entirely acceptable personal choices. This means that no matter how hatred-free you are, you are impertinently interfering in the freedom of others to live by their own lights, which is inherently fascistic, controlling and authoritarian.

And you're doing it, despite that you are, I'm assuming, a basically decent and well-meaning human being. Because your dogma demands it of you.

So the fundamental conflict has nothing to do with whether or not you feel you should live within certain strictures, or even whether or not you feel everyone should; it has to do with your need to control others through disparagement, shame, or denial of some or all social reciprocity. Your group is not primarily inclusive, but exclusive.

Does that explain a little better how people feel about you "calling out" their personal choices as "sinful"? Even if you feel this is god's marching orders for you, surely it at least renders people's responses understandable, and something other than merely an expression of willful disobedience or something.

I realize its a fine line, of course. I have had some pretty stern things to say about what I regard as the unholy alliance between evangelicals and right wing politics and the inherent hypocrisies thereof. That is going to make some evangelicals uncomfortable. It is a form of social approbation. It is free speech. But I would cross a line by saying that you must leave the GOP or face eternal perdition, methinks. That is claiming divine endorsement for a personal view.

Maybe that's even the fundamental problem -- the inability of evangelicals to see their views as personal, to deploy special pleading for their personal views because they allege it is also god's view. That's a way to deny personal responsibility because it's not your view, but your god's. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger ... and yet ... to someone with a different god, no god, or even a different understanding of god, that is just an unsubstantiated claim, and doesn't allow you to disavow the claim as your own in the public sphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality