U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 3,810,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Complete nonsense.

Prove it. Can you find me ANYTHING that the original author of that song wrote to conclude that? My guess would be "No".....but it hasn't stopped you from making the nonsensical statement.
Quote:
That song is not "militant". To suggest it is lunacy. Read the lyrics. It talks about praising God and defeating Satan. NOTHING about killing human beings or taking land.

That kind of stuff just makes atheists look dumb. Seriously. To suggest that song is militant is complete idiocy.
I seem to have touched a nerve.

Yes, the song is mainly about defeating Satan, but isn’t it oh so convenient to label an opposing nation’s army as an agent of Satan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM

2,611 posts, read 532,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
i think a significant number of Christians are tragically religious. They are in the closet about some tragic wrong they harbor. 4example Roy Moore.

to personify a 3,000 year old book you have to maintain some level of broken logic.

rough to think for your self and be self limiting. For these people a pre determined moral path must be better

sad.
So many false statements in so few of words.....where to start?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Unfamiliar absurdities can be spotted a mile away. Familiar absurdities are held sacred.

Humans are pack animals. I believe that irrational beliefs are how humans determine who is in their clan / pack. Other animals mainly rely on smell, but humans rely on irrational beliefs.
Bingo, I think that every Christian would acknowledge the absurdity of a religion based on the idea that thetans created the universe for their pleasure and Xenu brought humans to Earth on spaceships. Some would even mock a religion based on one man's story of finding golden plates buried in upstate New York which when interpreted with the use of seer stones revealed a story about Jesus living in the New World.

However, their story of a God that rapes a teenage virgin in order to give birth to his son for the sole purpose of having that son executed by an imperial power occupying land in the Middle East whereupon the son rises from the dead zombie style does a brief meet and greet before catching a flight back home to assist Daddy in his plans to destroy the entire world and all human existence except for the few people in good standing in the Jesus club at some unspecified point in time is 100% true and not absurd at all.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I seem to have touched a nerve.

Yes, the song is mainly about defeating Satan, but isn’t it oh so convenient to label an opposing nation’s army as an agent of Satan?
No. The song has nothing to do with labeling another army as an agent of Satan.

You are now making the incredible leap to take a song that had nothing to do with that and applying it to how someone MIGHT use it.

By your logic, I could suggest that you be locked up, because someone might suggest that you were calling for violence. Nevermind what you actually think, or actually believe. If some nut job 100 years from now THINKS that your name maybe.....calls for the execution of everyone born in the year 2080 because they're freaks. It COULD happen....so maybe you should be banned now and locked up. Can't be too careful.....

(OBVIOUS SATIRE--PLEASE be aware I'm not suggesting Freak80 does not in any way have a right to post here)

But you certainly don't mean that.....and we should instead go by what you actually mean, not what someone may read into it.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Bingo, I think that every Christian would acknowledge the absurdity of a religion based on the idea that thetans created the universe for their pleasure and Xenu brought humans to Earth on spaceships. Some would even mock a religion based on one man's story of finding golden plates buried in upstate New York which when interpreted with the use of seer stones revealed a story about Jesus living in the New World.

However, their story of a God that rapes a teenage virgin in order to give birth to his son for the sole purpose of having that son executed by an imperial power occupying land in the Middle East whereupon the son rises from the dead zombie style does a brief meet and greet before catching a flight back home to assist Daddy in his plans to destroy the entire world and all human existence except for the few people in good standing in the Jesus club at some unspecified point in time is 100% true and not absurd at all.
Ahh....so you're a Christian Scientist? That explains a lot.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 3,810,661 times
Quote:
No. The song has nothing to do with labeling another army as an agent of Satan.

You are now making the incredible leap to take a song that had nothing to do with that and applying it to how someone MIGHT use it.

By your logic, I could suggest that you be locked up, because someone might suggest that you were calling for violence. Nevermind what you actually think, or actually believe. If some nut job 100 years from now THINKS that your name maybe.....calls for the execution of everyone born in the year 2080 because they're freaks. It COULD happen....so maybe you should be banned now and locked up. Can't be too careful.....

(OBVIOUS SATIRE--PLEASE be aware I'm not suggesting Freak80 does not in any way have a right to post here)

But you certainly don't mean that.....and we should instead go by what you actually mean, not what someone may read into it.
You’re splitting hairs.

The point is, those kinds of songs are very powerful at the emotional level, both consciously and subconsciously. They cultivate powerful “us vs. them” emotions that rally the faithful against outsiders and perceived enemies.

As a former good Lutheran I sang “A Mighty Fortress” which has a similar theme as “Onward Christian Soldiers.” It’s a powerful, militant song. It’s not all bad, I’d probably be singing it myself if I were in some kind of battle against overwhelming odds, even as a non-religious person.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 306,196 times
Quote:
Ahh....so you're a Christian Scientist? That explains a lot.
Is that a fundie joke? I have no clue what you mean. I am not a Christian or a scientist.

How many Christian Scientists does it take to change a lightbulb? None, they just wait a few days for God to turn on the lights.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Is that a fundie joke? I have no clue what you mean. I am not a Christian nor a scientist.
Misunderstood your statement....you started talking thetans. that's a Christian Scientist thing....and no--it's neither about Christianity or Science.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You’re splitting hairs.

The point is, those kinds of songs are very powerful at the emotional level, both consciously and subconsciously. They cultivate powerful “us vs. them” emotions that rally the faithful against outsiders and perceived enemies.
Again...if you can't be bothered to actually look at the lyrics and see what they say...why am I bothering to discuss it with you? To suggest that is just lunacy.
Quote:
As a former good Lutheran I sang “A Mighty Fortress” which has a similar theme as “Onward Christian Soldiers.” It’s a powerful, militant song. It’s not all bad, I’d probably be singing it myself if I were in some kind of battle against overwhelming odds, even as a non-religious person.
And "A Mighty Fortress" has nothing to do with war. If you were a "good Lutheran", you'd surely remember that.

It is not militant, and it is not violent. It is about the steadfast God we can depend on. Again...this kind of stuff just makes your side look really really dumb. I'm sorry, but if this is what you actually think? I'm not sure there is reason to continue.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 PM

9,031 posts, read 3,245,869 times
80-20 applies freak. I be more worried about foreigners and special interest group net attacking everything reasonable suggestion so they can exploit the cracks for themselves and their kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality