Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,603 times

Advertisements

An atheist doesn't believe in god(s).

Christopher Hitchens offers his definition of an anti-theist:

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."

How would you define an anti-theist, and are you one, or are you fine with defining yourself as a mere atheist?

Atheism and Anti-Theism: What's the Difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Neither. I'm an anti-fundamentalist.

Most believers are benign. Very many are good folks.

But fundamentalists are dangerous and must become extinct asap.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Neither. I'm an anti-fundamentalist.

Most believers are benign. Very many are good folks.

But fundamentalists are dangerous and must become extinct asap.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I am an atheist inclined to fight against theocratic tendencies.

Believe what you want, but once your religious opinions enter the public sphere, my resistance will be approximately equal and opposite to theocratic efforts.

Practically speaking, if religiously oriented candidates run for election promising to support prayer in public or restrict abortion rights, I will donate to the opponent and vote for the opponent.

If people campaign to restrict sex education in schools, I will support sex education in schools.

If you try and siphon tax dollars to support your private hobby, I will fight to prevent that.

If you advocate for your religious views, or publicly proselytize, I feel free to do the same.

Does that make me an anti-theist, or does that make me an advocate of equality?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."

How would you define an anti-theist, and are you one, or are you fine with defining yourself as a mere atheist?

people follow him like another group of people follow their savor. same type of person really. you know, but hitch had the real, real truth. lmao.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am an atheist inclined to fight against theocratic tendencies.

Believe what you want, but once your religious opinions enter the public sphere, my resistance will be approximately equal and opposite to theocratic efforts.

Practically speaking, if religiously oriented candidates run for election promising to support prayer in public or restrict abortion rights, I will donate to the opponent and vote for the opponent.

If people campaign to restrict sex education in schools, I will support sex education in schools.

If you try and siphon tax dollars to support your private hobby, I will fight to prevent that.

If you advocate for your religious views, or publicly proselytize, I feel free to do the same.

Does that make me an anti-theist, or does that make me an advocate of equality?
castro, pot, moa, all started the same way. then when they were done with the primary target, they turned on the rest of us.

does it matter what the rule is? or do you do the belief based gang bang type deal. Gang bang here meaning gang fight, you know, over colors, not rationality. you aint my sect, you aint my friend? ~ice-t

Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I'm not sure what I am.

I believe there is somebody somewhere (I usually call them my dad or somebody else I've lost) that watches over me, because there are too many things that have happened to make me think differently.

However, I cannot stand religious people and avoid them at all costs.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Seems to me that anti-theist would be defined as anti god believers and not anti god. I only have disdain for those theist who push their religion as fact or actually believe non-believers choose and deserve going to a hell. The ones that go about their lives being nice and respectful of non-believers I have zero problem with.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:36 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:

I guess I'm anti theist. I believe it's a spectrum though all way from cult to benevolent. I'm not so much about arguing about a personal belief in a God or higher power. I'm against people having that used against them in the form of religion. I think some believers are of that mind too so I don't know if anti theist is solely an atheist thing.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:38 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:

I regard myself as opposed to believing things that aren't substantiated. In other words, I'm a skeptic. Religious faith and the truth claims it asserts without evidence are therefore just one of the things I disagree with and argue against, among people like those who voluntarily come here for the expressed purpose of discussing and debating such beliefs.

The term "anti-theist" or "anti-theism" suggests (to me at least) a sort of activist opposition to theism that doesn't really describe me. In Real Life (IRL) I very, VERY seldom have such conversations and only when invited (as they are when people come to forums like these). In almost all other contexts such conversations are superfluous and probably impertinent.

Even in the political realm, which is intermixed in this country with conservative religious ideology, my focus is still on critiquing thinking and policy that is not grounded in some sort of rational / empirical and justified thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality