Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

How come you never about Christians objecting to restaurants being open on Sundays? Why aren't they boycotting this practice?

Hypocrites all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It would be funny if it wasn't so close to truth.

New Registry Allows Engaged Same-Sex Couples To Choose Which Christian Florist To Put Out Of Business

U.S.—A new online wedding registry will allow same-sex couples to choose which Christian florist they plan to sue and permanently put out of business as they celebrate their union.

The registry, called ASSIMIL8, provides gay couples with a list of business owners whose privately held personal beliefs may reflect traditional Christian views on marriage. The excited fiancés can then pick whose lives they want to totally destroy with a lengthy and frivolous lawsuit, as they anticipate their cheerful nuptials.

In lieu of wedding gifts, friends and family can participate in the joyful celebration by contributing to the expensive legal fees required to completely trash a random stranger’s life and force them into bankruptcy.

“We can think of no better way to start our new life together then to utterly ruin the livelihood of a local businessperson based on their religious beliefs,” said one happy couple. “It’s a perfect way to honor the love and acceptance represented by marriage.”

Once the couple has selected the target business they wish to annihilate, the website then offers a much longer list of convenient florists who are more than happy to service their ceremony.

According to an ASSIMIL8 spokesperson, they are expanding their registry to include Christian bakers this summer.
Except in reality, any business that does business with the public cannot be "forced" out of business if they serve all their customers (the public) with the same respect and quality of service.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats mainly because homosexuality goes against what is natural, sex is for procreation, 2 of the same sex cannot create life. I think it is something we cannot comprehend, the way we view things and the way God views things are MUCH different, we are only aware of a small part of something much larger and complex
When I have sex i have ZERO intention of procreating, so am I going against what is natural?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Sounds like an article from The Onion.

Did you hear about the new multi-million dollar Abortionplex?
The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire.
Contact us: editor@babylonbee.com

Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Except in reality, any business that does business with the public cannot be "forced" out of business if they serve all their customers (the public) with the same respect and quality of service.
Yes and how long does any business last if it rejects a new market?

How long would a business last if it refused to do business with women, or religious "nones", or a contingent of Estonians who move into the area?

If gay marriage becomes universal and open, that's maybe 10% more weddings than you had before. Reject that and make yourself a disgusting, bigoted pariah to some nonzero but significant percentage of your existing customer base ... doesn't sound rational to me.

Money talks and BS walks, everywhere it seems but in Christian-run businesses.

Except that eventually, it does. The holdouts will tend to fail, cooler heads will prevail.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Inhospitable" is hardly the term for domination by rape which appears to have been the practice of the city dwellers, but use the term in preference to the wildly prejudiced "homosexuality."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both old and young, all the people from every quarter, surrounded the house. 5 They then called to Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, so that we may have relations with them.”

So you are saying that every single person dwelling in the city were gay rapists? Every single man, young and old, was homosexual?

See....

Ezekiel 16:49-50 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me..."

Can you point out anything in that verse that indicates that the city was destroyed because every single man and boy was gay?
Interesting. Did you actually read and try to understand what I wrote, or did you just go off on what you THOUGHT I must be saying? You might make more sense and impact if you actually did read and understand what you are reacting to..

Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How come you never hear about Christians objecting to restaurants being open on Sundays? Why aren't they boycotting this practice?

Hypocrites all.
"Keep Sunday special" was a bit of a campaign here a few decades ago. And, as you say, hypocrites. They pretended that it was about workers getting a fair break. But then the answer would be staggered working hours. That means that the workers can get to do some shopping, too. Of course, the campaigners didn't care tuppence about the workers. The whole idea was to show Reverence for the Holy Day of the week, at best, if not make sure nobody had the excuse "I'm working that day" not to go to church.

Of course it failed, though in a fact a lot of places do close on Sunday still (round here it's like the rapture happens every week ) because people prefer to sit indoors with Beer and watch the footer rather than go to church. Dammit - I would myself, and I detest football

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-12-2017 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: editing done for free.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Keep Sunday special" was a bit of a campaign here a few decades ago. And, as you say, hypocrites. They pretended that it was about workers getting a fair break. But then the answer would be staggered working hours. That means that the workers can get to do some shopping, too. Of course, the campaigners didn't care tuppence about the workers. The whole idea was to show Reverence for the Holy Day of the week, at best, if not make sure nobody had the excuse "I'm working that day" not to go to church.

Of course it failed, though in a fact a lot of places do close on Sunday still (round here it's like the rapture happens every week ) because people prefer to sit indoors with Beer and watch the footer rather than go to church. Dammit - I would myself, and I detest football
If a local community decides they want to disallow businesses to open on Sunday, Saturday, or any other day of the week, that's really something the local community can decide. It's none of my business, if Anytown, USA decides to do commerce however they wish.

If Dearborn, MI, which has a large population of Muslims, decides to make laws that are friendly to Muslims, so be it.

In the same way, California has some idiotic laws that will prevent me from ever moving to California.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:28 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Honey, you've never really cared to be nice. You are as snarky as anyone on this board, and you have made a habit of attacking others.
Babe, you wandered into this forum just this past summer. I've been here since October of 2013. And guess what -- YOU are the only person who does nothing but whine and moan. Every other opponent I've had on this board at least made an attempt to rise to my challenge and engage me in debate. You, on the other hand, well ...

No one elected you forum policeman and you're certainly not a moderator. If I were "attacking" you in the manner you're accusing me of, my posts would be edited or deleted outright. Yet here they are, unedited and unabridged.

Your definition of "attack" is to merely disagree -- and if I don't author my posts in the manner of someone tip-toeing through a minefield, YOU are the one whose nerve is struck, not mine. YOU are the one who throws fits whenever I dare criticize your belief system -- and what's worse, you seem to think that every criticism of religion is a personal attack on YOU even when I'm not talking to you or about you.

Which means, essentially, that you're the one with issues. As I said, I've been here for 5 years and never before have I had to deal with someone so ... shall we say ... delicate.

Oh, and one other thing: If I "am as snarky as anyone" on this board, why are you singling me out? If I'm as snarky as anyone, then I shouldn't even stand out because I'm only as snarky as everyone else. Right? So either your command of English is rather poor ... or you're singling me out for some bizarre reason and I'm not even sure if I want to know why.

Quote:
That's a lovely opinion you have there. Should anyone take it with anything other than a grain of salt? Because that's all it is--an opinion. It is not based in fact.
Sorry .... honey ... but what I said is an historical fact. Are you *really* going to sit there and say that people 500 years ago did *not* view the world through the lens of angry gods sending plagues, natural disasters, bad harvests, stormy seas, eclipses, comets, and stillborn babies as punishments for our sins? Need I educate the numerous mass slaughters that occurred during the Black Death around 1350 A.D.? It was all because the entirety of Europe believed that God was punishing humanity for its sinful ways. Oh, and guess what Christians did? Yep, they scapegoated, which is why there was a mass slaughter.

Oh, but sure, just deny history and sit pretty in your little bubble of "alternate facts."

And ... if they viewed the world that way 500 years ago, and people of today are STILL viewing the world that way, then they are FACTUALLY behaving as if they're still in the Dark Ages.

There's no "opinion" about what I said. It is an irrefutable fact.

Quote:
No sniffling and crying, or stomping going on here. You don't like me? I can't say I really care. Maybe you're accustomed to people wearing kid gloves around you. If you can't handle what I have to say, I'm sorry. I'm not going to attack you personally, but nor will I just sit back and be scared of your threats.
What in god's name are you talking about? Threats? How about being honest once in awhile and stop making stuff up, hmm? I mean, if your pathetic rebuttals can't stand on their own without you throwing in LIES, then it's probably for the best if you *do* keep quiet.

Because, please, by all means, show me where I threatened you.

As for being accustomed to people wearing kid gloves around me -- are you kidding me? I came from the jungles of unmoderated forums. I've had my life threatened, I've been threatened with rape. I've endured racial slurs of every description, sexual slurs of every description, and so on and so forth.

You, my misguided friend, are no more frightening than a newborn kitten. Like I said before, you really need to get over yourself -- and stop projecting because that's what you're doing.

After all, YOU are the one who demands that I wear the kid gloves so I don't (horror of horrors) offend you and your religion.

There's more projecting going on in that one paragraph than in all the movie theaters in NYC. At least I can say I've been nothing but honest with you, even if you don't like what I have to say. You, on the other hand, continue to lie, invent, hyperbolize, exaggerate, and distort damn near everything I say.

I have to say that I've noticed a pattern both here and in the real world -- the more a person wears their Christianity on their sleeves, the more immoral they tend to be in their personal dealings. Kind of like my aunt, who raves about being a Christian, and yet is betraying my mother by screwing her out of her rightful inheritance. Yeah, it's what I've come to expect.

Quote:
And they have shown a lack of integrity. The claim to believe in a god that they don't actually worship. If you respect that, ok. Great.
LOL! Wow, aren't YOU the world's judge! Yes, let's tell the rest of the world they have no integrity because they don't worship God in the same way YOU do. Yep ... and THAT is a big reason why I despise religion. It only proves what I've been saying for years: Religion is the most divisive paradigm ever invented by humanity.

Of course, you said that YOU don't view the world as if it were 500 years ago. Yet here you are, defending those people against me. As if ...oh, I dunno ... you secretly ARE one of those people. I'm really not sure what to believe at this point.

Wow, I have to say -- I actually pity you, to be so lost in the dark ignorance of superstition.

Okay, my moment of pity is now over. Yet it still boggles the rational mind that anyone can live in the most advanced nation on earth and still have a worldview that hasn't changed in 6,000 years. Such a failure of our education system.

Quote:
I've not done that. I don't believe that you are the reason that there is an earthquake.
If you have never done that, then my post wasn't referring to you -- yet you still had to come charging in to defend against every word I say about *any* Christian -- including those who *do* blame disasters on people like me. I'm talking about powerful people with tens of millions of followers -- the Pat Robertsons and Jerry Falwells of this world.

Even when Sandy Hook occurred, the fundamentalist and evangelical crowd immediately politicized the event by blaming the shootings on removing forced prayer from our public school system. That actually says some pretty sick things about your God -- that he would steer a lunatic into a kindergarten class, have the guy murder 20+ children, and then stand by and watch, thinking, "Bwahaha, that'll teach those atheists to prevent religious brainwashing in a compulsory school setting where the kids are a captive audience. And I'll keep killing kids until they make every student in America pray to me!!"

Quote:
I will stand by my statement. You have a habit of using strawman arguments. You just made one above. I don't believe God is judging the world because of what a bunch of atheists do.
Stop projecting, BaptistFundie. I wish I could type that in 50 point font with glowing, blinking letters. That's all you're doing -- taking the things I'm accusing you of and claiming, "Nuh uh, you're doing that, not me!"

First of all, you also need to stop internalizing everything. Nowhere did I ever say that YOU, BaptistFundie, believes that God is judging the world because of what others do. If you can show me where I ever accused you, personally, by name, of believing that, then I will admit my error.

But I'm pretty sure I never said any such thing. Which means, secondly, that there IS no strawman argument. In fact, you strawmanned MY argument by accusing me of using strawman arguments. There's more straw in this post than in all the barns in Wisconsin. It's becoming rather absurd, actually, even to the point of this becoming an argument of infinite regression.

Quote:
I'm sorry that you have a bone to pick with religion. I don't hate you. But I do wish you would be honest in the discussions we have.
Look ... I've been studying history since I was old enough to read. I literally went from Mother Goose to "The Battle Off Midway Island" by Theodore Taylor (my first ever history book that I read). I say this because, knowing history as I do -- as well as watching the goings on in the present day -- yes, I do have a massive bone to pick with religion because so much of human suffering can be traced directly to religion.

Yes, I know religion isn't the only cause -- but it's the most ridiculous. At least if people and nations fight over land, resources, government or economic models, or diplomatic blunders, there's at least something *there* to actually fight over.

But fighting over who has the best primitive god concept is akin to two children fist-fighting over whether or not Superman can beat up Mighty Mouse -- or whether Gandalf can beat Harry Potter in a magic duel -- or whether Marvel or DC have the best comic books.

And you demonstrated precisely what I'm talking about when you literally claimed that the rest of the world has no integrity because they don't worship God the same way you do.

Well, there ya go ... case in point. In another era, nations would have gone to war over such petty and unfalsifiable differences. They *still* go to war over such garbage in other parts of the world. In other words, you're scoring points for my team, not yours.

THAT is a big reason why I have a bone the size of a mammoth's tusk to pick with religion.

Plus, I don't hate you, either. Yeah, I know ... everyone who criticizes Christianity automatically hates all Christians. It's like saying that anyone who criticizes Israeli foreign affairs is an anti-semite. It's a totally wrong assumption. I don't hate you -- I don't hate Christians.

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to pull my punches in a forum debate.

Quote:
And you suggested that is what Christians believe and teach. There may be some that do, but I do not. You need to recognize that we are not all the same.
<--- Sometimes a little bitty facepalm emoticon just doesn't do justice to the facepalm some quotes really deserve.

BaptistFundie -- I honestly am at a loss. I can only assume that you don't read my posts very carefully or you're simply choosing to be selective in what you respond to. Here's why:

This came from my original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That's not to say that there aren't good Christians. It's just that there aren't enough of them and they don't have the political clout as those who still practice their faith as if this were 500 years ago. The rest of the world has since moved on, but America is still the only nation in the world still producing large numbers of Christian fanatics and zealots that really do not want a truly free country. Instead, they want to have the right to punish those who refuse to conform to their religion ... kind of like other fanatical, fundamentalist groups we all know and love in other parts of the world.
Did you not read that part? Or are you simply choosing to ignore it so you can launch a false accusation against me? I think that paragraph more than adequately shows that I am well aware that not all Christians are the same, that not all Christians teach that God is sending disasters as a form of punishment, etc.

In addition ... you need to stop assuming that everything I write, every accusation I lodge against SOME Christians (I even capitalize the word "some" so no one misses it) is meant for you, personally.

I get tired of saying "some Christians" only to have you respond with this self-righteous indignation as if I specifically referred to you by name. No. If you don't view the world that way, why are you getting so upset when I accuse "some Christians" of doing it -- especially when you know it's true?

As I said -- if my post doesn't apply to you, it isn't meant for you. There is no reason to burst onto the scene accusing me of accusing you, personally, of the things I'm accusing "some Christians" of doing.

Most of my posts don't have anything AT ALL to do with you -- but you do a mighty fine job of turning my posts into a personal accusation, as if my entire post was all about you. I wish you'd stop doing that. It's rather vexing, to say the least.

Quote:
And I believe you're way off base here.
Of course you would "believe" I'm off base. Very few Christians -- or believers of other faiths -- would have the guts to admit that religion is responsible for a massive chunk of bloodshed that has taken place throughout the millennia.

Doesn't matter, though. History speaks for itself.

Quote:
I haven't done that. But that hasn't stopped you from using that strawman to cast the blame. This is what I mean by you being dishonest and using strawman arguments.
Do you see those words in bold letters? Yeah ... there you go again, turning a general statement into a personal attack. As I said, you need to knock it off.

YOU are the one being dishonest by trying to disprove what I say using yourself as anecdotal evidence. "Well, gee, I don't do that, so how dare you be dishonest and say that some Christians scapegoat other demographic groups when bad things happen in America!"

My initial post had nothing whatsoever to do with you, yet, here we are again with you scolding me for making a general statement that doesn't include you -- so it's wrong. "I don't do that, so no one does, hence, your entire argument is a dishonest strawman."

Yeah, that's what you're doing. And you have to STOP it. You are not the center of my posting universe, after all.

Quote:
Some do, yes. Just like some atheist are hatemongers and attack anything religious. I offered a truce--I won't assume you're one of those if you don't act like it.
Yes ... some do. Which means angrily responding to my posts saying, "But I don't do that!" is disingenuous. If you don't do that, congratulations. I'm writing about those that DO do that. Again, for the umteenth time, if what I'm saying doesn't apply to you, it wasn't meant for you. Stop behaving as if it were all about you.

No truce will be possible until you stop inserting yourself personally into every post I write.

In addition, if having a truce means I'm hiterto prohibited from criticizing or even occasionally attacking your religion, then it won't work. As it stands now, I can't even joke about your religion without you taking offense.

It's not just me that has to modify my behavior. We either meet in the middle or we simply don't meet.

Quote:
And again....you completely ignore what the religion ACTUALLY teaches, and you assume that all that claim to be Christians are of that particular mindset.
What did I JUST say in my last post? In fact, it was the point you quoted in order to write the above sentence. I don't CARE what Christianity "actually" teaches. What's important is what is actually being TAUGHT.

You have, for instance, the Bible Belt -- the domain of conservative Christianity for the entire world. And what message are they teaching? Why yes, let's elect a congressman who thinks the First Amendment should only apply to Christians, who compares himself to Putin (having a "like mind") on the issue of homosexuality, and preys on young girls -- and who was actually banned from a local mall because the authorities there knew he prowled the mall hunting little girls.

Millions upon millions of Christians support him. And I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

The Bible Belt is so full of love and compassion thanks to the Christian message that they continually elect congressmen and presidents who are just itching to gut our entitlements and safety nets (Medicaid, Medicare, Disability, and Social Security) so a tiny percentage of the population who already have more money than many small nations can have even MORE money in the form of big tax cuts. They elect people who would embrace a young woman with a brain tumor and promise her that he won't vote for that awful health care bill -- and then turns around and votes for it.

They keep electing people who only give a damn about DNA strands, cell clumps, and fetuses -- but who couldn't give two <bleep> about living, breathing, sentient, self-aware people. These people only care about life, but not QUALITY of life. In fact, many of them have lost touch with what being human even means.

But hey, never mind that I *specifically* said that there were good Christians -- there just aren't enough of them. You just went ahead and ignored that part, though, because you were just itching to accuse me of seeing all Christians as being the same, so you went ahead and lodged your accusations instead of admitting that I do NOT, in fact, see all Christians as being the same.

Quote:
So yes--you are being dishonest. You are using a strawman argument. You are stating what Christianity teaches, and you are lumping us all into that stereotype. Yay for you.
It's amazing how you can actually write the garbage you do and still consider yourself a moral person. Like I said before, you simply chose to ignore the part of my post where I said that I was aware that not all Christians are the same. I've been talking about a specific type of Christian since the beginning; YOU are the one being dishonest. The fact that you would accuse me of it while failing to give any meaningful example of my dishonesty goes a loooooong way in showing the kind of person you are.

Quote:
That's really what is the issue, isn't it? You seem to have this strange notion that because we are religious, and we disagree with you, that we should not be able to exercise our constitutional rights, and vote, and such. Is that it?
You need to knock it off ... and I mean right the <bleep> now. Where did I EVER say that Christians shouldn't have constitutional rights? Where have I EVER said that Christians shouldn't be able to vote?

I have no idea from where you're pulling this crap -- out of your ass, obviously, because not one word of it even approaches the truth. Yet you accuse ME of making strawman arguments? Man, you need to go back to debate school or something. You suck at this.

What I was saying about Christians mobilizing is that there are FAR more important issues in the world for which Christians could mobilize -- homelessness, poverty, wage inequality, universal health care, child abuse -- all kinds of issues.

But do they? Of course not. Instead, they fight poverty with charity drives that make very little *real* difference. The Mormons, for instance, spent almost 50 million dollars to ban gay marriage in one single state. Think of how many medical treatments that could have been paid for with that money, the number of housing units for the homeless that could have been built -- or that money could've been used to lobby for better wages or universal health care. But no.

And that was just the Mormons -- not to mention the Catholics and the Protestants. Instead of doing something worthwhile with all of that money, time, and effort, Christendom CHOSE to squander it on the promotion of bigotry and hate, not to mention theocratic facsim -- which is what it is.

You have the right to practice YOUR religion. You do NOT have the right to make ME practice your religion. I'm not at all gay, but if I were, why should I be prohibited from marry my partner because of what YOUR Bible says? What gives you the <bleep> right to tell me that I must obey your holy book? Homosexuality is only a sin because your book says it is. THERE IS NO OTHER REASON.

That's precisely why I can't stand religion. It is so inflexible and arrogant that even in a country with a Constitutional Bill of Rights, believers feel that rights don't matter -- except for theirs. And when a person like myself proves beyond doubt, backed by a Supreme Court ruling, that you ARE violating the rights of others, you don't care!

Instead, you whine and moan and cry into your beers about how YOUR rights are being violated. Yeah, the supposed right to take away the rights of others. THAT is what you cannot stand -- that the government refused to be told what to do by an entire, massive group of "noisy cymbals" who think that the Bible, not the Constitution, should decide what our laws are.

What's worse is that you literally have NO idea how despicable your version of Christianity actually is on this subject. Oh, by the way, Australia just legalized gay marriage nationwide. YOU are on the wrong side of history -- which isn't any great shock when it comes to religion.

But don't you dare sit there and say that I'm trying to deny you your Constitutional rights and how I want to ban Christians from voting when I never said any such thing.

Quote:
Of course the states are bound by it. But the point remains that you seem to think that only SOME aspects of the Constitution are required to be honored by all states. The Constitution does not mention marriage, and you think that all states should honor what one state does, while it DOES specifically mention other rights, but you gloss over that fact and think the states shouldn't have to honor those.
If you're going to hand me a bowl full of word salad, the least you can do is pass the Thousand Island dressing along with it.

I don't even know what on earth you're talking about with that above quote -- and it's not worth my time to sit here trying to decipher it.

The only thing I'll say on this subject is that it is patently ABSURD to have some states honoring gay marriage and others not. We DO live in an actual nation, after all, not 50 different sovereign countries. (I also never said that only SOME apsects of the Constitution are required to be honored by SOME states; where did I ever say that? You need to provide examples because I'm not going to guess as to what you meant.)

Quote:
And there are atheists that have tv shows that denounce Christianity every chance they get. So what? I don't believe Bill Maher speaks for you, so why should you assume that a senile old man on the 700 club speaks for me?
Oh really? So ... by all means, give me a list of atheist television programs that "bash Christianity every chance they get."

Go on, then. If you have any integrity at all, you'll admit you're talking out of your ass again.

The ONLY atheist television shows that I know of is the Atheist Experience on cable public access in Austin, Texas. The only people who can see it are in Austin -- though you can watch archived shows on their website. Bill Maher? Are you kidding me? Sure, he bashes Christianity sometimes, but his show is not an "atheist show." It's a news show ... on HBO ... which means you have to PAY extra to even watch it.

That doesn't even BEGIN to compare with the dozens (hundreds?) of various religious shows on cable that reach tens of millions of viewers -- perhaps hundreds of millions of viewers worldwide. All I had to do was randomly come down the stairs one Sunday morning to accidentally hear some television preacher bashing atheists -- and he wasn't even honest in the way he went about it.

Yeah, a big difference between you and me is that my arguments stand on their own merits. I don't HAVE to lie, exaggerate, distort, or hyperbolize for my points to be valid. You, on the other hand ... well, I'll just let your ridiculous claim about "atheist television shows" speak for itself.

Oh, and one other thing -- if old senile men like Pat Robertson do not represent you, why the hell do you get so ticked off and offended if I bash them? Is this some kind of "I have to defend my fellow Christians no matter how evil they are!" mentality you have going on?

Because I'm not going to stop bashing them. Nor will I ever stop bashing theocratic fascists and those Christians who promulgate hatred, bigotry, fear, paranoia, suspicion of the "other," and who liberally use the hell-threat to get people to believe in a tainted, evil worldview that hides behind the Bible to make it appear sane. It's not. Their kind of poison-spewing is what will tear this country -- and then the world -- apart.

Quote:
Did you actually read my post? I've not suggested that anyone is a scapegoat for those disasters. I have not said that God is angry and wants to punish us because 2 guys play house.
I don't CARE! How many times do I have to say that? Okay, great ... I mean, I'm genuinely glad that you don't see the world through that Dark Age lens of angry gods and the need to scapegoat other people in order to appease the angry god.

Yet ... you get all hissy and huffy if I bash even THOSE people. Instead, you swoop into the thread and insert yourself into my post claiming that I'm accusing YOU of those things. Except I'm not. As I said before, you can't use yourself as anecdotal evidence that I'm 100% wrong. In fact I'd only be wrong if I called you out by NAME and accused you of having that worldview -- something I've never done.

It doesn't matter, anyway. This is why I know there will never be a viable peace between us because I'm not allowed to criticize ANY aspect of Christianity without you interfering, hijacking the thread, and making my post all about YOU.

Quote:
Actually, it is. The Bible says it is. The fact that some that claim to be Christians ignore what Scripture clearly says is irrelevant. But you will notice that I've not suggested that people that commit that sin are any better or worse than I am. I'm sorry if calling things sinful offends you.
Well, once again, you failed to address my point directly and instead chose this oblique angle that more or less simply dodged the entire meaning of my quote. Congratulations on winning the Dancing with the Stars Tap Dancing award.

I don't care what the Bible says. I care about what people DO.

IF these Christians truly believed that homosexuality is "just another sin," then they wouldn't care if gays married any more than they care about what adulterers do -- which is to say: Very little. Yet even convicted spouse murderers are allowed to remarry and not one Christian raises a fuss. It's only when gays wanted to marry when Christendom went nuts.

Unfortunately, the only OTHER time Christendom went nuts was during the "Satanic Panic" of the 80's and early 90's when Christians went on the fascist warpath wanting to ban just about everything -- movies, music, television shows, you name it. They even had little Nazi-like book burnings, a staple activity for the card-carrying fascist. Because, yeah, Christianity thought it had the right to decide FOR me what books I can read, what music I can listen to, what television shows and movies I can watch.

Oh, I know ... YOU don't think like that, right? Again, doesn't matter. I'm talking about the people who DO think like that.

Quote:
I don't know of any Christian that advocates for adultery. Maybe if there was a pro-adultery movement that wanted to change the definition of marriage, we'd see more pushback.
LOL! The "definition of marriage." What a crock of bull excrement. Hey, guess what, BF. Here's a news flash: Christianity doesn't get to decide the definition of marriage.

Christianity doesn't own marriage. People were getting married for thousands of years before Abraham was even a fertilized egg. Besides, the religious aspect of marriage is optional -- which is why you can get married by a JP or even a ship captain. The religious aspect of marriage can be ignored completely which means, from a legal standpoint, your religion isn't required. We don't need your god's blessing nor do we have to make vows before god. Nope.

Ergo, if you extend that logic just a wee bit further, it also means that your religion doesn't get to define what a marriage is and who can engage in one. Religion is rather anscillary when it comes to marriage. It's the government that officially recognizes a marriage, not the church.

And, like I said, if Christians cared as much about adultery as they did about gay marriage, they would have tried lobbying the government to legally punish adulterers -- but they didn't because they don't really care. You certainly don't see many, if any, mainstream preachers saying adulterers should all be murdered as per Deuteronomy, do you. No, of course you don't.

Gee ... I wonder why ...

Quote:
I'm sorry...when you start lumping all Christians into one group and badmouthing us, that tends to make me assume you mean that I'm part of it.
Except I never lumped all Christians into one group, and I've provided my own quote to prove it. You either didn't bother to read down to the end of my post -- which just makes you look dishonest when responding to me. Or ... you did read to the end but just didn't care and decided to voluntarily include yourself among the Christians I was talking about in order to justify some awfully bad and disingenuous arguments.

Either way, it's not looking too good for you.

Quote:
This is a discussion forum. Do you mean to suggest that I'm not welcome to discuss things that are publicly posted? When you attack my religion, am I not allowed to respond? Should I ask your permission next time? Maybe send you a PM first?
Oh, don't be stupid.

Your responses to my attacks on religion wasn't to address the points I made or even to defend religion. No, they have ALWAYS been ad hominem attacks on me and the way in which I write my posts. In other words, I'm too rough for you and you want me to play nicey-nice. In even other, other words, it means I'm actually not allowed to criticize, attack, mock, disrespect, or even JOKE about your religion else I spur the wrath of BaptistFundie, the self-appointed forum moderator, who will ignore my arguments and attack me instead.

You can "discuss" whatever you like here -- and if you misrepresent me one more time, I'm going to do it right back. If you don't like me now, just wait until I start twisting every word you say into something that doesn't even come CLOSE to resembling your original point. That ought to be a real hoot, eh?

Because, quite frankly, I'm sick of it. You've misrepresented me almost a dozen times in your post so far, claiming I've said things I never have and twisting my original points into something so unrecognizable that I actually began to wonder if you were responding to me or someone else.

I will say this, though. Even to one of my staunchest opponents, Jeffbase, someone who I warred with many times, going back and forth with posts even longer than this one ... to him, I could honestly say that, away from the forum, I would have no problem having dinner with him, going out for a drink or two, and enjoy each other away from debates on religion.

But you are the very first person in the five years I've been here that I just don't think I would get on with out there in the real world -- I couldn't handle treading on eggshells wondering how everything that came out of my mouth would be twisted into a horrible misrepresentation.

Me: "Yeah, I really don't like the color of that church."

You: "What? Are you saying Christians don't have the right to paint their church whatever color they like? Yeah, it figures that an atheist would deny us our Constitutional rights and the right to vote and the protection against cruel and unusual punishment. I'm sure you don't even think the amendment that outlawed slavery applies to Christians. You just want to enslave us, is that it? Huh? Huh?"

Yeah, that's probably how any conversation between us would end up.

Quote:
You have made a habit of attacking religion. I'll stand by that. Others have noted it, as well. It's no secret you hate religion. You think highly of yourself, and if anyone disagrees with you, you have demonstrated a hatred for that opinion.
Hello, McFly! *knock knock* Anyone home, McFly?!

Wow, I attack religion. Gee whiz. I mean, I'm an atheist on a religious debate forum. What do you EXPECT me to do? Praise religion and talk about how wonderful it is? Perhaps you'd rather I mope about wishing that I could believe in your god and join your religion but my miserable brain just won't let me! I hate being an atheist *sob* and I wish I could believe in a God who sacrificed himself to himself so he could forgive humanity for sins he brought into the world in the first place. Oh, woe is me! Yes, I WANT to live in a theocratic fascist nation whereby the Bible dictates our laws and every ounce of morality is legislated so we can be just like Saudia Arabia -- except with Christian morality police instead! Yay!

Yeah, I attack religion. I'm going to continue attacking religion. Others have noticed this, too? Wow! I'm shocked! About as shocked as if someone noticed an elephant in a phone booth. Of course I make no secret of it. Why would I? And more importantly -- why should I HAVE to keep it a secret? Unless we lived in that aforementioned theocratic fascist nation ...

Do I "think highly of myself" as you so audaciously surmise? No ... I'm just confident. If you can't tell the difference between confidence and arrogance, well ... that's not my problem. I've never sat here regaling the forum with my deeds of greatness or gushed about how wonderful I am. Nope, never done that and I never will. And trust me, as some here know, they've seen my "down side." I don't have a THING to prove to you.

Quote:
Again....you play nice, I'll play nice.
I don't think that's possible at this point. Because it's not enough to be nice to you. I have to be nice to religion, as well. I have no problems being nice to individuals -- but I'm not going to be nice to fundamentalism, evangelism, theocratic fascism, Bible-worshiping, science-denying, relgiously-inspired bigotry and hatred, far-right political ideologies that those types of Christians often embrace, and a plethora of other things that often ride religion's coattails.

If you could figure out the difference between attacking you and attacking religion -- and if you could stop criticizing ME and instead focus on the arguments I make -- and if you could stop injecting yourself into every post I write with, "Well, I don't do that and because I don't, you're lumping all Christians together" -- then perhaps we could at least have a semblance of peace.

But I don't think that'll ever happen. I'm pretty sure you want me to be nice, respectful, deferential, and humble regarding religion -- even when the people who adhere to it do things that I despise. I can't do that, and wouldn't do that even if I could.

Quote:
I've never said that.
Yes you did. You sat right there in front of your computer and told me that the U.S. Constitution only applies to the Federal government; the states can do whatever they want.

Don't lie to me and say you never said that. Unlike you, I WILL go hunt down precisely what you said if needs me, and plaster it here for all to see, proving that you're being horrifically dishonest. I even remember a quite lengthy discussion on the matter -- and Mensaguy even had to show you the Supremacy Clause to show that you were wrong.

And now you're going to sit here and DENY that you ever said it? Even God's own hand wouldn't be big enough for the facepalm I need right now.

Quote:
Quite a rant you've made here. Did I touch a nerve? I'll stop responding to you, since it apparently gets you pretty fired up.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha! You're going to run away like a little coward and then blame it on ME? Jesus H. Christ on a cracker, BF ... do you even have the tiniest spark of integrity anywhere in that soul of yours? The worst of it is that you probably think you're going to Heaven despite the many dozens of misrepresentations, exaggerations, and outright lies you've told in just this one post.

Rant. Hah. At least I can write an actual post with actual thoughts --- and not a post written at the 5th grade level more suitable for a Twitter debate. Oh no! I dare not respond to an argument with any more than 345 characters!! I can't read or write more than that because reading is, like, intellectual and stuff, and, like, I don't want to think that much.

It's as if the stoner culture has finally gone mainstream.

If you want to run home to mommy and not respond to me, hey, be my guest. But I still plan on responding to you -- it should at least give some entertainment to the other participants here, even if you choose to remain hidden under your bed.

Have fun with that!

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: This edit will probably be the only part of my post BF will actually read.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:45 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
TL;DR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality