Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
It's a game of probabilities. There is no guarantee but I think there is a high probability that Hitler would have not done as to what he did to the Jewish people if Hitler had the fear of God.
What if he believed god commanded him to kill all the Jews?

In point of fact I believe many Christians in Russia referred to Jews as "Christ killers" which was the justification for the pogroms against them there.

Yesterday just before he lost amid record minority turnout and conservative defections, we had fundamentalist Christian Roy Moore's wife's tone-deaf public pronouncement that "one of our lawyers is a Jew" as if that disproved in any way that he was anti-Semetic.

The problem is that nothing in Christianity precludes bigotry and can at times (I'm being kind here) feed it -- and its lesser forms such as tribalism.

Was Hitler alleging a Jewish conspiracy incompatible with Christianity as actually practiced at the time? Particularly if he alleged that part of that conspiracy was anti-Christian?

You would, I suppose, argue that Hitler catering to Christian bigotry would not be this "fear of god" you are talking about. But I am of the opinion that "fear of god" is only as good as belief in god and I think that in their innermost heart of hearts most people don't weigh that nearly as heavily as you think, just because they are outwardly observant of their faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm quite a Van Gogh fan. too. 'Many paths to God' (or many "Spiritual" paths) is of course, much more the sort of view that humanists, skeptics, rationalists and like Double -dammed Satanspawn can live with, even if we regard 'Spiritual' as no more than the highest possible human moral and ethical ideals rather than some kind of Cosmic Reality - as - existing- being that we can have a relationship with.
And I would never argue that you are wrong.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Rubbish. Not only was anti - semitism there in the particularly virulent form that Hitler picked up purely because of Gospel antigonism towards Jewry, but he believed that his god totally approved of what Hitler was doing.

Go back to square 1 and start again.
Amazing. Totally amazing.
Where is your own logic and intelligence?

Let me make this even worse.

The guy gets up in the middle of the night, grabs a big kitchen knife and slaughters his four kids aged between 14 and 6 months.

Gets arrested and says, God told me to do so.

Now, are you going to blame God?

But yes, I do agree with you. If I was in search of a God, and I came across a God who would ask his followers to kill millions of people of certain faith (like you said, Hitler thought it was approved by God, and G W Bush also said, God asked him to attack Iraq) - then I will have no problem in rejecting such God. This is not the God that talks to my heart.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
the fact remains hitler wasn't based on religion. That's exactly like saying stalin was based on atheism.

both total rubber-ish. two ends of the boob stick tossing nonsense at each other. i don't know who is worse, the idiots that believe it or the ones that knowingling use it to mass the troops. I guess the anti-religion religion masses behind "get them" just like the fundytheists.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
AND yet so many fear damnation and sinning?
Anyone focused on fear of damnation and sinning really isn't getting it, although I realize there are many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. Fear of hell is not the primary reason I worship God. But it is a fact of life that sinners will be judged by God.

I know that if I step into traffic and get hit by a bus, I'll die. I'm pretty certain of that. Knowing my own frailties does motivate me to not do the things that would result in my death. But it does not mean that it is the only motivating factor behind me driving a car instead of walking.
There is another aspect to the whole thing. When I was a senior in high school, on the last day, she said we could ask her anything that we wanted. Someone asked her if she believed in God. This was in the days when you could ask and discuss such a thing, the 1970s. Well, the teacher explained that whether there was or was not a God, that she would still want to live her live that way that she had, in the spirit of what God is believed to represent and expect.

I believe in God, am not a Christian, thus Christians believe I will go to Hell because I refuse to accept that Jesus is God breaking the 1st Commandment. Now, if my belief in God were based on fear of going to Hell, that my fear of sinning would be going to Hell, well, then I would try to force myself to believe something that isn't true, which somehow I cannot do, that Jesus is God. So, my belief in God is not tied to fear. My belief in God is tied to the presence of God that I feel, that I have felt even at the youngest age I can remember, in the beauty of nature and goodness of at least some of the people. God is in my heart, not my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
It's a game of probabilities. There is no guarantee but I think there is a high probability that Hitler would have not done as to what he did to the Jewish people if Hitler had the fear of God.

Did you get the idea?
Hitler may have believed he could do not wrong. I suspect he was a sociopath, and they are their own "god" and all too often use religion to actually justify what they do.

Interesting article on Hitler and religion. http://www.abc.net.au/religion/artic...18/3480312.htm It appears that he was not an atheist, although I never thought he probably was. I think he was evil to the bone and/or a sociopath, kind of the same thing really.

From the article: In the same speech he disparaged the Bible as too Jewish: "one thing is for certain, that no anti-Semite wrote it." Yet at the end of August 1920, he argued the Nazis "supported every Christian activity" and promoted Nazism as a "gospel of German revitalisation."

Seems like he was "all over the place" - sociopathy/psychopathy?

Old 12-20-2017, 02:10 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Seems like he was "all over the place" - sociopathy/psychopathy?
Sure, he picked whatever position or argument helped him in the moment, with little to no concern for long-term consistency or integrity.

Sounds rather like someone who dominates every news cycle these days, doesn't it?

I wonder if 75 years from now people on this forum will be arguing whether or not Trump was a Christian or an atheist, when he is in fact both and neither, according to his whims and needs of the moment.

Sociopathic leaders tell each comer what they want to hear in order to get what he wants from them or at least have them not stand in his way. By the time they realize they've been "had" it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality