Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:27 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times

Advertisements

Saw Star Wars last night on opening night along with hundreds of others. Each time I see a Star Wars film, I think about Joseph Campbell and The Hero with a Thousand Faces Much of the retelling of themes from the Bible, Koran, Bhagtiva-gita and such. We see all the elements of the good vs evil conflict, and the elements of the hero's journey. We have the Mentors, the prophecy, the two worlds, the failed hero.

Religious texts are ripe with the mythology of the hero journey. While watching Star Wars is more entertaining for a modern audience, the themes of conflict, good vs evil and redemption are similar.

After everyone here has a chance to seethe film, we will talk about one aspect of the new film which seems unique and out of line. But I don;t want to spoil it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Ok...when does it come out on Netflix?

Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
As I watch it this afternoon I am going to be wondering what you are talking about.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Jar-jar Binks ruined Star Wars for me. Haven't seen any of the films since his appearance but was a huge fan of the first trilogy.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jar-jar Binks ruined Star Wars for me. Haven't seen any of the films since his appearance but was a huge fan of the first trilogy.
I mostly agree. I had seen all of the Star Wars movies in theatre until Jar-jar, and boycotted after that. I only saw the 5th and 6th movies (aka the 2nd and 3rd episodes) a year or so ago when flying to the U.K. they were a bit better than the hot mess that was jar-jar, but certainly not very good.

I am enough of a nerd that I decided to give the most recent ones a chance. The Force Awakens was decent, but largely a thematic retelling of the first one. Rogue One, while it had a few erratic moments, was good. I really liked the continuity of costuming between it and the 76 Star Wars. It was fun to see 21st century actors in a space opera wearing 1970s versions of futuristic clothing.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

After Jar-jar, I turned to the Dark Side..... Harry Potter.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Binks also kind of ruined things for me a bit -too bad that Gooberfish didn't get him.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Wasnt Naboo(home world of Binks), destroyed long ago?

Old 12-17-2017, 12:31 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
For all of you who don't know, Jar Jar is only in the first prequel.

He appears VERY briefly in the second, and isn't in the third one at all.

And Jar Jar isn't anywhere NEAR "The Force Awakens" or "Rogue One."

So it is actually safe to go back into the water, so to speak.

Personally, a bunch of teddy bears defeating an entire legion of the Empire's best troops using medieval weaponry soured me on the whole series.

Once Lucas began turning Star Wars into a big series for young children, I got disgusted -- there's just NO good sci-fi and fantasy for adults.

Lords of the Rings and the Hobbit were descent. Harry Potter is too ... juvenile since the series WAS for young adult readers, after all.

And sci-fi has mostly become horror in space. Yeah yeah ... small ship with a dozen people aboard stumbles upon an ancient civilization, accidentally unleashes some alien that stalks them one by one, sit and watch the body count climb until the last guy/gal saves the day by killing the alien -- and then you see the alien's eye open -- get ready for part 2!

Which is essentially the same formula as a bunch of teens going to an isolated cabin with no cell or internet service, accidentally awakening a supernatural evil that stalks them one by one until the last guy or girl discovers the lore behind the evil and manages to defeat it -- and then the dead body twitches at the end of the credits -- get ready for part 2!

I'm so hungry for *real* sci-fi that I'm sorry to admit that I think I could even tolerate Jar Jar at this point as long as the rest of the movie wasn't trying to entertain children.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:15 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
For all of you who don't know, Jar Jar is only in the first prequel.

He appears VERY briefly in the second, and isn't in the third one at all.

And Jar Jar isn't anywhere NEAR "The Force Awakens" or "Rogue One."

So it is actually safe to go back into the water, so to speak.

Personally, a bunch of teddy bears defeating an entire legion of the Empire's best troops using medieval weaponry soured me on the whole series.

Once Lucas began turning Star Wars into a big series for young children, I got disgusted -- there's just NO good sci-fi and fantasy for adults.

Lords of the Rings and the Hobbit were descent. Harry Potter is too ... juvenile since the series WAS for young adult readers, after all.

And sci-fi has mostly become horror in space. Yeah yeah ... small ship with a dozen people aboard stumbles upon an ancient civilization, accidentally unleashes some alien that stalks them one by one, sit and watch the body count climb until the last guy/gal saves the day by killing the alien -- and then you see the alien's eye open -- get ready for part 2!

Which is essentially the same formula as a bunch of teens going to an isolated cabin with no cell or internet service, accidentally awakening a supernatural evil that stalks them one by one until the last guy or girl discovers the lore behind the evil and manages to defeat it -- and then the dead body twitches at the end of the credits -- get ready for part 2!

I'm so hungry for *real* sci-fi that I'm sorry to admit that I think I could even tolerate Jar Jar at this point as long as the rest of the movie wasn't trying to entertain children.

#I'mWithHer ^^

Except for one thing.

All y'all hatin' on Jar-Jar can bite me Being (more than) occasionally childish, silly and adorkable myself I can relate to him.

Meesa goin' to watch football. Meesa seein' yousa later. Happy Life Day. PHBBBT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality