Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:49 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Now, PLEASE understand one thing. What i said above is about Supreme Intelligence. What some refer to as god. Religion and faith have very little in common. Faith is commune with Supreme Intelligence. Religion is spiritual politics. I condone none.
its not an either-or.
religions grew out of groups of people gathering together who did (and do) "commune with Supreme Intelligence."
faith is very much a part of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
To start, this is incorrect.

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

They were only created in image,not in likeness. This makes a lot of difference. Copy but not the original.
Actually, Genesis 1:26 uses both terms; 'image' and 'likeness.'

NASB:

Genesis 1:26 Then God said, " Let Us make man in Our image (צֶ֫לֶם - tselem) , according to Our likeness (דְּמוּת -demuth ); and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Septuagint:

[In Greek] Genesis 1:26 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεός· ποιήσωμεν ἄνθρωπον κατ᾿ εἰκόνα ἡμετέραν καὶ καθ᾿ ὁμοίωσιν, καὶ ἀρχέτωσαν τῶν ἰχθύων τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ τῶν πετεινῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ τῶν κτηνῶν καὶ πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ πάντων τῶν ἑρπετῶν τῶν ἑρπόντων ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς.

[In English] Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man according to our image and likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the flying creatures of heaven, and over the cattle and all the earth, and over all the reptiles that creep on the earth.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/phys...sis/1.asp?pg=3

Tanack:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, and they shall rule over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heaven and over the animals and over all the earth and over all the creeping things that creep upon the earth."

Berei**** - Genesis - Chapter 1 (Parshah Berei****) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Genesis 1:26 Then God said, " Let Us make man in Our image (צֶ֫לֶם - tselem) , according to Our likeness (דְּמוּת -demuth ); and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
Sorry Mike with all due respect this is so cringe-worthy!

Ruling over any other animal species is purely evil. Humans have no more right to rule over any other animal species as any other animal species has the right to rule over the human animal species.

Genesis is sick and twisted rubbish.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sorry Mike with all due respect this is so cringe-worthy!

Ruling over any other animal species is purely evil. Humans have no more right to rule over any other animal species as any other animal species has the right to rule over the human animal species.

Genesis is sick and twisted rubbish.
I was simply pointing out that contrary to Ukrkoz's claim, Genesis does say both 'image' and 'Likeness' rather than just 'image.'

Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I was simply pointing out that contrary to Ukrkoz's claim, Genesis does say both 'image' and 'Likeness' rather than just 'image.'
I know but the entire quote was disgusting to the core!

Rule over other species as if we are some superior species. Bah humbug!

Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Rule over other species as if we are some superior species. Bah humbug!
As disgusting as this reality may be to you, Matadora, we humans ARE superior to the other species in very real and demonstrable ways. That in no way means that we have superior capabilities or attributes in every way, just the most important for achieving dominance over them and our planet itself. That is indisputable unless you have some evidence that we are being ruled over by other species.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As disgusting as this reality may be to you, Matadora, we humans ARE superior to the other species in very real and demonstrable ways.
This is your reality, not mine.
Quote:
snip...unless you have some evidence that we are being ruled over by other species.
Show me where I made this claim.

I would love to see how much we would dominate any other animal if dropped off in the middle of the Amazon forest in our natural state without man made tools or weapons.

Same being said for dropping us off in the middle of the ocean.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
This is your reality, not mine.
Show me where I made this claim.
You did not because you can NOT make it. That is the point!
Quote:
I would love to see how much we would dominate any other animal if dropped off in the middle of the Amazon forest in our natural state without man-made tools or weapons.
Same being said for dropping us off in the middle of the ocean.
It is our capabilities to create the tools of dominance that establish our superiority. Don't be coy. Pretending that pure animal capabilities determine superiority and dominance is just silly.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You did not because you can NOT make it. That is the point!
A meaningless point indeed with respect to what I posted.
Quote:
It is our capabilities to create the tools of dominance that establish our superiority.
LOL and even with these capabilities...how has this helped the planet? With all of our superiority you can't point the finger at any other animal species for the damage and destruction our species is causing to this earth and to each other as well as to other animal species including the Plant Kingdom.

Sure we are the superior species.
Quote:
Don't be coy. Pretending that pure animal capabilities determine superiority and dominance is just silly.
Pretending that pure human capabilities determines superiority and dominance is indeed silly.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
A meaningless point indeed with respect to what I posted.
LOL and even with these capabilities...how has this helped the planet? With all of our superiority you can't point the finger at any other animal species for the damage and destruction our species is causing to this earth and to each other as well as to other animal species including the Plant Kingdom. Sure we are the superior species.
You can argue about the destructive versus constructive impacts our DOMINANCE wreaked upon the animal kingdom and the planet, but you can NOT refute our superiority and dominance over every species on the planet.
Quote:
Pretending that pure human capabilities determine superiority and dominance is indeed silly.
Not silly, FACT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality