U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2017, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,188 posts, read 2,368,395 times
Reputation: 2583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler21 View Post
I have been considering taking mushrooms in order to have an experience of an expansion of consciousness and hopefully a connection to my higher power. I've never tried any psychedelics before but I have experienced bliss, oneness, and divine love. That, however, only lasted a few weeks and I have longed for it ever since as it has changed my entire perspective on love and life.

My question to you is: Have you tried mushrooms or other psychedelics? If so, what was your experience?
My son did magic mushrooms once. Someone called the police who picked him up, naked, walking up and down the street. Someone put a blanket on him and brought him home once he was released. I'm not sure just how 'spiritual' that was or whether he connected to a higher power or not but I do know he was very embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
2,573 posts, read 1,752,774 times
Reputation: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
This isn't the forum to get good advice about altered states of reality and mind expansion. Majority here are your "get a good job, settle down, play the game and accept that we work and fight for scraps" types. Try bluelight.org or drugs-forum.com for great information on these topics.
I used to enjoy reading trip reports on erowid.org. Even a few years ago though, that site struck me as being a bit antiquated and more of an archive at that point. Does anyone use it anymore? Might have to check it out.

To the OP, I've always been simultaneously intrigued and scared, as I know that I'm pretty sensitive to...anything. Ever know someone who's been hospitalized twice (both stints being for multiple days) because of smoking weed? You do now. Always wanted to experiment with other drugs, psychedelics/hallucinogens included, but told myself I'd likely meet either a quick end or prolonged misery if I did so. I stick to regular consumption of my India Pale Ales and coffee....

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 12-21-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 930,218 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Also on my bucket list.

Where the heck does one find these drugs?
You probably know someone, or they know someone who knows someone. Thats how one finds a dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 07:57 AM
 
136 posts, read 49,787 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I used to enjoy reading trip reports on erowid.org. Even a few years ago though, that site struck me as being a bit antiquated and more of an archive at that point. Does anyone use it anymore? Might have to check it out.

To the OP, I've always been simultaneously intrigued and scared, as I know that I'm pretty sensitive to...anything. Ever know someone who's been hospitalized twice (both stints being for multiple days) because of smoking weed? You do now. Always wanted to experiment with other drugs, psychedelics/hallucinogens included, but told myself I'd likely meet either a quick end or prolonged misery if I did so. I stick to regular consumption of my India Pale Ales and coffee....
I can totally relate to you! Weed gave me massive panic attacks and I had one right in the middle of Washington Square Park. Had to call 911 to come get me because I thought I was dying, and this was only off 2 or 3 puffs. Needless to say, weed isn't for me although I did enjoy the feeling of awe, inspiration, and love it gave me. I too, am really afraid of having a bad trip. It's probably the biggest reason I haven't tried it yet. If I do end up trying shrooms I will make sure that I'm in a pleasant mood, good atmosphere, and have someone present with me so I don't run around naked down the streets of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
1,769 posts, read 573,219 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
This isn't the forum to get good advice about altered states of reality and mind expansion. Majority here are your "get a good job, settle down, play the game and accept that we work and fight for scraps" types. Try bluelight.org or drugs-forum.com for great information on these topics.
Iím sure there would be masses of people who lived before modern technology who would roll their eyes at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,046 posts, read 8,215,829 times
Reputation: 5974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler21 View Post
I can totally relate to you! Weed gave me massive panic attacks and I had one right in the middle of Washington Square Park. Had to call 911 to come get me because I thought I was dying, and this was only off 2 or 3 puffs. Needless to say, weed isn't for me although I did enjoy the feeling of awe, inspiration, and love it gave me. I too, am really afraid of having a bad trip. It's probably the biggest reason I haven't tried it yet. If I do end up trying shrooms I will make sure that I'm in a pleasant mood, good atmosphere, and have someone present with me so I don't run around naked down the streets of NYC.
My wife and I did an impromptu trip to Colorado as "weed tourists" and as I mentioned elsewhere -- I did not see what all the fuss was about. Made my face feel oddly drawn, perhaps loosened me up a bit ... but nothing earth-shattering or seductive about the experience AT ALL for me. As for my wife, who experimented a little in her youth -- pretty much the same, although the way she put it is, "it's not the way I remember it". She feels it's that in her mature years she's less easily impressed. Her lack of response kind of surprised me frankly as she has a selective tendency to addiction around some (but oddly not all) recreational substances. Wine -- doesn't know when to stop. Vodka or beer -- not a problem though. I thought pot might be something that called to her, but for whatever reason ... no.

I'm sure all this is highly individualistic. I seem pretty impervious to everything I've ever tried. It either has no appreciable effect, or an effect I do not find pleasant or desire to repeat. Might be a little different if I really applied myself over time, I suppose, but I have no real motivation to -- no itch to scratch there. In fact just the opposite -- I enjoy being in control of my faculties, dislike them being in control of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,371 posts, read 6,206,127 times
Reputation: 8800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm sure all this is highly individualistic. I seem pretty impervious to everything I've ever tried. It either has no appreciable effect, or an effect I do not find pleasant or desire to repeat. Might be a little different if I really applied myself over time, I suppose, but I have no real motivation to -- no itch to scratch there. In fact just the opposite -- I enjoy being in control of my faculties, dislike them being in control of me.
Similar here. I'm pretty much content with my 3 standard recreational drugs- caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. I don't even regularly take my prescription pain-killers, I don't like how they make me feel, I only go there if the booze isn't working well enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,046 posts, read 8,215,829 times
Reputation: 5974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Similar here. I'm pretty much content with my 3 standard recreational drugs- caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. I don't even regularly take my prescription pain-killers, I don't like how they make me feel, I only go there if the booze isn't working well enough.
Yeah just caffeine suffices for me. But my nerves are naturally pretty steady on their own, which means, nicotine and booze wouldn't be needed and I tend to get the benefits of caffeine without the jittery downsides.

I did have some kind of sedation for a colonoscopy once which transformed me into a chatty, hail-fellow-well-met type and I have to confess it's the one such experience I'd want to repeat ... if I was dumb enough to think it wouldn't be subject to the law of diminishing returns pretty rapidly. I never felt such equanimity and ease. If I felt like that all the time I'd probably outdo Miss Hepburn for sunny disposition.

But then, that wouldn't be me, would it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,188 posts, read 2,368,395 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah just caffeine suffices for me. But my nerves are naturally pretty steady on their own, which means, nicotine and booze wouldn't be needed and I tend to get the benefits of caffeine without the jittery downsides.
I've cut out coffee again. It makes me super jittery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 PM
 
9,376 posts, read 12,914,263 times
Reputation: 10095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler21 View Post
I don't "need" to do this. I'm not chasing a "high". It is just something I am curious about. I do take care of myself pretty well, have gone vegan, meditated, prayed, and so on but have not experienced the pure bliss I was allowed to experience over a year ago. I only get small glimpses of it here and there. I'm just curious about your experiences is all.

You did not experience "pure bliss".
You experienced altered state of mind.
That is IT.
Thereafter, as it was a very pleasant state, you imagined that it was opening into higher this and that and, as the result, your justifier mind is now trying to justify further use of mind altering substances again.

I did see your remark that you do not "need" it but, be aware that this exactly how every junky to be started. Oh no, not me. Oh nop, I do not need it. oh now, not this or that.

Altered state of mind is VERY dangerous as you are messing with the most precious a human has.
Also, you are looking into a shortcut. you "meditated", did some other things, that did not bring you immediate result. So you gave up and went for other means. This is ego mind game again, full steam in motion.

Mediate. This is THE ONLY true way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top