Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM

136 posts, read 100,681 times

Advertisements

I have been considering taking mushrooms in order to have an experience of an expansion of consciousness and hopefully a connection to my higher power. I've never tried any psychedelics before but I have experienced bliss, oneness, and divine love. That, however, only lasted a few weeks and I have longed for it ever since as it has changed my entire perspective on love and life.

My question to you is: Have you tried mushrooms or other psychedelics? If so, what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM

19,727 posts, read 13,265,101 times
Smoked a bit of weed, didn't see what all the fuss was about. My wife finds it useful for certain aspects of chronic pain management though.

I've heard more than one person commend the experiences you seek as something to have on one's bucket list, that it does change your perspective. However ... particularly for LSD and such, I fear mis-dosing / impurity issues given that these are illegal street drugs, more than I want the alleged benefits. I do not see sustained use of any such drugs as a long-term strategy for most people. And it's not like there aren't cautionary tales of people who have gone off on tangents triggered by drug-mediated mind "expansion".

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,815,480 times
So basically your perspective has changed, but you want to experience the "high" that you felt then. Wow.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM

18,422 posts, read 9,040,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler21 View Post
I have been considering taking mushrooms in order to have an experience of an expansion of consciousness and hopefully a connection to my higher power. I've never tried any psychedelics before but I have experienced bliss, oneness, and divine love. That, however, only lasted a few weeks and I have longed for it ever since as it has changed my entire perspective on love and life.

My question to you is: Have you tried mushrooms or other psychedelics? If so, what was your experience?
So God is ultimately a chemical?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,418,621 times
Back in my younger days, I used ALOT of LSD, used mushrooms a few times, but liked acid much better.

I would never use it now in my early 40s, but I do believe it had a permanent effect on me. From my experience, LSD and other such drugs do indeed 'unlock' some kind of mental ability so to speak, but I think it would take alot more research in order to be able to use it.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:44 AM

386 posts, read 717,884 times
I'm always a bit conflicted about psychedelics and spirituality. Although I haven't used mushrooms or LSD, just a fair amount of cannabis/hash, I would like to experience them under the right set and setting.

I guess there are a couple of issues I sometimes have with this path, the first being that I have known many people who have used them, and honestly, they haven't seemed any more enlightened than the average person. In some cases they were actually a bit worse: more anxious, more selfish, etc. Secondly, this idea of depending on any substance to ground or find yourself always carries potential for abuse.

But then again, I often felt I got some psychological insight from smoking cannabis, and could imagine some benefits from mushrooms. For example, I say this as a formerly religious person who turned hard skeptic for a time(I think Joe Rogan has made a similar point): psychedelics and cannabis can at least bring humility when you become too hardened in your skepticism --- you realize that there is much more to the Universe (or your own mind) than you generally recognize. Sometimes that's a good thing; sometimes that just makes you flakey or dependent on the drug itself.

But I think in the right context, it could be a good thing.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 AM

10,947 posts, read 6,985,426 times
Before considering drugs, there are other safer and more natural ways to possibly achieve your goals. Some, such as in Buddhist and Taoist circles, adopt numerous ways of improving their bodies and minds for such elevation. I'm talking about eating high-quality / nutrient-rich food, investigating and practicing deep breathing (which changes how one breathes), and practicing meditation (which often clears a lot of junk and noise from the mind). In other words, enhance how your body and mind work first as a starting point. Maybe you won't feel a need for drugs after that. You might also tune into spiritual and meditative music. There' tons of that online (chakra, Zen, Chinese/Japanese, "new age", ambient, etc. music)

As far as drugs go, LSD's pretty interesting. I've known of some who've felt "God like" thinking, energy, and power, with use. It can open up the mind, but I wouldn't count on the effects lasting. Why rely on something - sort of like a gimmick - that you have to keep taking. There's also the risk of getting a "bad hit", so it's a bit of Russian Roulette. Mushrooms apparently are very intense. You have to be in a safe and controlled environment for all of that.

Ultimately, I wouldn't think God (or whatever higher power you believe in) would expect us to depend on an external device or item outside of us - even another person - to reach whatever spiritual goals we have. It seems that we are equipped with all we really need. It might be a bit overly "human" to seek, need, or depend on something else (just like religion, churches, approval from others, etc.) All the great belief systems point to the completeness of what resides in us already.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-21-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 AM

136 posts, read 100,681 times
I don't "need" to do this. I'm not chasing a "high". It is just something I am curious about. I do take care of myself pretty well, have gone vegan, meditated, prayed, and so on but have not experienced the pure bliss I was allowed to experience over a year ago. I only get small glimpses of it here and there. I'm just curious about your experiences is all.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM

95 posts, read 88,769 times
This isn't the forum to get good advice about altered states of reality and mind expansion. Majority here are your "get a good job, settle down, play the game and accept that we work and fight for scraps" types. Try bluelight.org or drugs-forum.com for great information on these topics.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,578,020 times
Know your source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality