U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM

32,590 posts, read 7,888,015 times

Advertisements

Well - that's true. I get far less flyers for religious assemblies and meetings than for pizza and take -away curries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM

1,814 posts, read 801,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
.... I strongly suspect the occasional lurker reads these forums and decides to give up religion, just as I think the occasional lurker may read them and turn to religion as well.

More the former than the latter, I suspect. C-Ds Religion & Spirituality forum is not the place to find Christ!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Status: "A subtle racist is still a racist" (set 25 days ago)

16,721 posts, read 7,954,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I totally agree with the rest of this post but think the quoted statement a bit of a stretch. I think they have as much right as anyone to advertise, by mail or otherwise. They seem even less aware than many businesses how unwelcome their ads are, or how bad the "optics" often are. But it's just an ad. Mail ads are easily dispensed with, straight to the recycling and no skin off my back. Actually about 95% of my postal letter mail goes there anyway.

Also, I don't recall any recent incidents that I got something from a church by that avenue anyway.

It's not a question of having the right. It's a question of proselytizing people who don't want to be proselytized.

Each month I get an ad or two about churches in the mail.

My personal view of this is that unless someone seeks a "right belief", it is meaningless.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 PM

7,047 posts, read 7,066,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
More the former than the latter, I suspect. C-Ds Religion & Spirituality forum is not the place to find Christ!
I suspect you are correct, but I think the reason is that atheists offer stronger, more consistent, verifiable arguments. Your opinion will differ of course.

The internet is a big place though. There are many religious sites and forums, nobody is stopping any religion from saying their bit and presenting their reasons for joining.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 580,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My personal opinion is that there are just some mean-spirited people that like to mock and insult people.

Many of them have been raised in religious homes, and they have legitimate gripes, and they don't feel they can do that in real life, so they do it here, anonymously. And they feel better because they've told off some religious people.
Personally, I come from a highly religious family who have zero knowledge of the bible. As with me before I actually researched my religion they just follow the pack and believe what is taught from the pulpit. They were taught not to challenge God. So, they refuse to research and question their faith, due to fear.

Once I converted, several family members attempted to lead me back, but found themselves with no legitimate case to do so. It did not take them long to back off in fear they might find themselves fighting an irrational fight.

I'm passionate about enlightening people to positive influences. Be it personal finance, politics, auto repair(I build furniture by trade) or religion. The Internet is a platform for a wealth of information and discussion. Those who seek rational solutions and philosophies will distinguish this when viewing these debates. IMO, the religious here do a great job of showing the absurdity and lack of rational evidence for their beliefs. I myself converted from Christianity while doing everything I could rationally to defend It and failed. Not because I was not wise enough, but because I was honest enough to see the truth.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:51 PM

3,670 posts, read 998,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I don't know, He shows up in some pretty unlikely places.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:55 PM

3,670 posts, read 998,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not a question of having the right. It's a question of proselytizing people who don't want to be proselytized.

Each month I get an ad or two about churches in the mail.

My personal view of this is that unless someone seeks a "right belief", it is meaningless.
Me too, I don't necessarily like it, especially the occasional fear mongering "THE END IS NEAR!!" stuff, but I just give my mailman props for bringing me my recycling.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:33 PM

6,521 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So Far, I have seen the argument that Faith is better off without any evidence, which I doubt is really true and if it is is a very good reason why Faith isn't a good thing. There is a bit of moaning about how rude and nasty atheists are -because we pretty much pwn the argument now - we have seen all the apologetics and know how to answer them. And we got a mention of a very common deconversion method - actually looking at the religion instead of just having Faith in it.

I'd say that pretty much says it all.
You own nothing.
Except a mastery of an Argument From Ignorance/Silence that has its basis in the flawed "No Evidence" premise of the "LOBBUNE (Lack of Belief Based Upon No Evidence) DOCTRINE"
The God I perceive by way of Pantheism..."ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED"...comports definitively as "G-O-D", and objectively exists unequivocally & irrefutably. It is also self-substantiating.
This renders the concept of Atheism null and void.
Also, all you have is Faith & Belief...nothing is infallible.
No info, no data, no facts can ever be "absolutely for certain"...thus, no evidence based upon them.
You just have Faith in your Belief of their veracity and merit...but that's all you got.
Happy New Year TRAWK!!
BTW...why is it gonna be "2018"?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 PM

59 posts, read 25,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The God I perceive by way of Pantheism..."ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED"...comports definitively as "G-O-D", and objectively exists unequivocally & irrefutably. It is also self-substantiating.
This renders the concept of Atheism null and void.
I've seen you post this many times. Is it accurate to say that you believe in the same God atheists believe in? Or are you asserting that the universe is conscious?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 1,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So Far, I have seen the argument that Faith is better off without any evidence, which I doubt is really true and if it is is a very good reason why Faith isn't a good thing. There is a bit of moaning about how rude and nasty atheists are -because we pretty much pwn the argument now - we have seen all the apologetics and know how to answer them. And we got a mention of a very common deconversion method - actually looking at the religion instead of just having Faith in it.

I'd say that pretty much says it all.
So say you stick to your guns and you demand an evidence of God before you believe in it, or else it does not exist.
Good enough!

Now, you meet a Hindu person who has faith and he believes in the existence of a God.

You both start a conversation about faith in God.
So you demand an evidence.

And he tells you, "Forrget the mental gymnastics of dwelling into proofs and evidence, here is God, right in front of you", he points his finger to a cow or a statue with 10 arms and 16 legs.

Now, do you have any more defence left not to believe in a God? It's right in front of you, what more do you want for evidence? Is there anymore need left for evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or