U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

14,772 posts, read 6,807,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sure. I implied that in my post.
So you agree that where you are born is one of the biggest deciders of which religion you belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

13,599 posts, read 7,207,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you agree that where you are born is one of the biggest deciders of which religion you belong to.
If thatís a question, I already answered it. Consider using a question mark, if so. If itís a statement, donít speak for me.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If thatís a question, I already answered it. Consider using a question mark, if so. If itís a statement, donít speak for me.
No, you really didn't. You're sort of skating around the issue. So let me be more blunt. I assume you worship Christianity as being the "right" religion. How does that square with your belief that one's religion tends to be based to a large extend on where one was born?

And, by the way, I'm very careful where I place a period versus a question mark.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

13,599 posts, read 7,207,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, you really didn't. You're sort of skating around the issue. So let me be more blunt. I assume you worship Christianity as being the "right" religion. How does that square with your belief that one's religion tends to be based to a large extend on where one was born?

And, by the way, I'm very careful where I place a period versus a question mark.
Then it was a statement. I can speak for myself.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

1,486 posts, read 451,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes . I'm waiting for clarification. Does that mean he is now no longer an atheist or that he is a God -believer who doesn't do a particular religion?

I've heard that it can be the hardest part of it to shake off when leaving.
Even after nearly 2 years. One reason I watch atheist debates on YouTube is to remind me that my decision is rational.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,242,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
There is no such thing as Christian Fundamentalism

There are only Christians or "disciples of Christ"

Again, most people who claim to be Christians are not.

Just food for thought....
There most certainly is a thing as Christian fundamentalism. And how do you know if people are Christian or not?

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

5,295 posts, read 2,039,834 times
Went to church and Sunday school every Sunday. When I got old enough to refuse to go I certainly did. Too much BS and brainwashing for me. Lots of hypocrites there too....

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Then it was a statement. I can speak for myself.
Then please do and answer the question asked.

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
Status: "They are your words, not mine. Own it" (set 13 days ago)

298 posts, read 61,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If a person identifies as a Christian, I believe them and accept their claim. It is not for me to decide whether they conform to some standard, when Christians cannot even agree on what that standard may be.

Roughly 70% of Americans say that they are Christians, and I will believe all 220,000,000 of them.
I am not aware of any standard you are referring to. And certainly not any Standard you say Christians cannot agree on.
Again, most people who claim to be Christians are not Christians nor Disciples of Christ.

See scripture below-

Scripture tells us to identify the saved by their fruits, not just "take their word for it". But if you are not saved, then that wouldn't apply to you anyhow.

Matthew 7
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
Status: "They are your words, not mine. Own it" (set 13 days ago)

298 posts, read 61,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There most certainly is a thing as Christian fundamentalism. And how do you know if people are Christian or not?
Only here on C/D have I heard of such a term and it is usually referring to putting someone down. Which is fine.
Here is my answer to someone else about how to know if someone is saved aka a Christian or not. It is the post right before this one.

Matt 7 & Galatians 5

How did you choose your religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality