Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm interested in hearing from people who have been the same religion all of their lives as well as those who have switched religions (converted) in their life.
My family is Baptist, and I was active in it as a child and in early adulthood (I was baptized at 20).
I went through a crisis of faith several years later, and realized that while I believed in God I did not believe in the Christian faith. After several years of studying world religions, attending services at all manner of houses of worship, and talking to many people (both clergy and lay leaders), I found that Judaism provided me with the spiritual framework and connection to God that I needed. I completed the formal conversion process close to a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:14 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem with much of this thread is that most American Christians don't choose their religion. They take whatever their family raised them to be within a Christian majority. Oh, they might stray to a slightly different denomination. But they don't really choose their religion. They follow their status quo.
My brother and I were raised by a Christian mother and an agnostic father (non church goer). My mom took us both to church and we were involved in many activities. At about 16 years of age, my brother complained so much about being forced to attend church, my mom gave up and let him decide. On the other hand, I chose to continue. Christianity and the church made sense to me. It was real and genuine. As an adult, I chose to marry a Christian woman and we raised our kids in the church. We all are practicing Christians. My brother is an agnostic.

So yes, family tradition plays a part, but it’s not 100%.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It just developed as my understanding and knowledge increased. Then one day I realized I was not alone and I knew I was an ATHEIST who believes in GOD..
I'll be the first to assert this is an oxymoron. You can't be a theist/deist and atheist.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Christianity was the only choice I knew of and it promised heaven or hell. Hell scared the batcrap out of me. I still have lingering fear of it.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God chose me. I didn't choose him. .
My experience is similar, except I ended up accepting His call. Was raised in a Jewish/atheist home, but ended up believing in God due to experiences that could not be explained away. In college it seemed like God kept throwing people into my life who were asking me if I knew Jesus. After a time I got sick of it and asked God if Jesus was the way. God “said” yes. Ok and yes said I. It was interesting that no one came up to ask if I knew Jesus after that. We attend an Evangelical Free church and on occasion a Lutheran church when I play there.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:53 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I got a deck of religion cards, and picked the seventh one. LOL Of course, I'm joking.

I can't speak for others, but I've never had any desire for religion, and man's creations. I do have spiritual belief and conviction, based on many years of "tuning in" to the other side (call it a 6th sense, whatever). It's based on familiarity of the various schools of belief, and what I've felt to be the voice of God or the Holy Spirit, communicating and advising on direction and path.

I've never depended on, or even sought, other's views/opinions/leading. Spiritual and mental purity is important. Adopting other's beliefs would be as strange as wearing other people's clothes

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-30-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
There is no such thing as Christian Fundamentalism

There are only Christians or "disciples of Christ"

Again, most people who claim to be Christians are not.

Just food for thought....
Just 2 chews and a swallow. It tastes like 'Only Christians Fundamentalists are Christians. Those who don't believe everything as true, cover to cover, are not Christians. Not much of a mouthful, but hard for me to swallow. ForI me, anyone who believes in Jesus is a Christian, even if he doesn't believe in talking snakes and Shekel -swallowing fishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
My family is Baptist, and I was active in it as a child and in early adulthood (I was baptized at 20).
I went through a crisis of faith several years later, and realized that while I believed in God I did not believe in the Christian faith. After several years of studying world religions, attending services at all manner of houses of worship, and talking to many people (both clergy and lay leaders), I found that Judaism provided me with the spiritual framework and connection to God that I needed. I completed the formal conversion process close to a decade ago.
Thanks. I always like to read conversion stories - whichever way they go.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'll be the first to assert this is an oxymoron. You can't be a theist/deist and atheist.
Yes . I'm waiting for clarification. Does that mean he is now no longer an atheist or that he is a God -believer who doesn't do a particular religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Christianity was the only choice I knew of and it promised heaven or hell. Hell scared the batcrap out of me. I still have lingering fear of it.
I've heard that it can be the hardest part of it to shake off when leaving.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My brother and I were raised by a Christian mother and an agnostic father (non church goer). My mom took us both to church and we were involved in many activities. At about 16 years of age, my brother complained so much about being forced to attend church, my mom gave up and let him decide. On the other hand, I chose to continue. Christianity and the church made sense to me. It was real and genuine. As an adult, I chose to marry a Christian woman and we raised our kids in the church. We all are practicing Christians. My brother is an agnostic.

So yes, family tradition plays a part, but it’s not 100%.
And did your mind ever wander far enough to wonder what you would have been had you been born in Buddhist Thailand or Hindu India or Muslim Pakistan?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:03 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And did your mind ever wander far enough to wonder what you would have been had you been born in Buddhist Thailand or Hindu India or Muslim Pakistan?
Sure. I implied that in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality