Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

This is a strange one, I used to work with a guy about 20+ years ago, he was retired out of the Army, we got into discussing religion and he claimed he believed in the old Greek Gods. I thought he was joking at first, but he was not, He claimed his parents also held this belief. He was born and raised in southern OH, and still lives there.

Im wondering if there is a name for this religious sect, and just curious if anyone else has ever known folks that believed this. He is the only person I have ever met to believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is a strange one, I used to work with a guy about 20+ years ago, he was retired out of the Army, we got into discussing religion and he claimed he believed in the old Greek Gods. I thought he was joking at first, but he was not, He claimed his parents also held this belief. He was born and raised in southern OH, and still lives there.

Im wondering if there is a name for this religious sect, and just curious if anyone else has ever known folks that believed this. He is the only person I have ever met to believe this.
Never heard of it. I did read once abouit people in Greece still appear to take the Greek gods and stories about them seriously (never mind them being Christian), but I always took that with a pinch of snuff.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
El-o-Hym = ολω-Hym = All-Human = No ego
"Human" is used here in the sense of "Logical"
as opposed to "Animals" which are illogical.

El = ολως = All = Infinity

Logos means "worder" which means "human" (since animals dont speak).
The Logos of God is infinitely Logical (having no ego) and hence an All-Human or El-o-Hym.

John 1:
In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with All-Human, and the Logos was All-Human;

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...wed_in_frame=0

human (adj.)
mid-15c., humain, humaigne, "human," from Old French humain, umain (adj.) "of or belonging to man" (12c.), from Latin humanus "of man, human," also "humane, philanthropic, kind, gentle, polite; learned, refined, civilized."

This is in part from PIE *(dh)ghomon-, literally "earthling, earthly being," as opposed to the gods (from root *dhghem- "earth"), but there is no settled explanation of the sound changes involved.

Compare Hebrew adam "man," from adamah "ground." Cognate with Old Lithuanian žmuo (accusative žmuni) "man, male person." 

A person with no ego would not require sleep.
A crucified person stood on a small platform with their arms stretched outward horizontally.
As long as they were awake they could support their weight on their feet but as soon as they fell asleep all of their weight went on to their arms causing intense pain which would wake them back up. 

No I am not an All-Human.
I definitely require sleep.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM

Septuagint:

61And it cometh to pass that the Adam have begun to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters have been born to them,
2and sons of All-Human see the daughters of Adam that they [are] fair, and they take to themselves women of all whom they have chosen

3And YHWH saith, `My spirit does not judge in man to eternal [damnation]; after all they [are] only flesh:' nevertheless his days [in prison] will be 120 years.

4The Gigantes were in the earth in those days

and afterwards therefore gleefully sons of All-Human come in unto daughters of Adam and they have begotten to them the same: the heroes (who from concealed Enosh) of καλέω.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_(Greek_mythology)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles

Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Revelation.svg

Old 12-31-2017, 02:43 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_2

Ages of Man | Religion-wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Old 12-31-2017, 03:02 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
No, I have never heard of anyone who actually believes in the divinity/existence of the Greek gods of antiquity. This guy and his parents do present a problem for one of us atheists' favorite rhetorical tactics, which is to say something along the lines of, 'Do you believe in Zeus? Thor? Odin? No? Well, we just take it one god further.'

Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

There are actually several names (though perhaps not formally) for the practice of worshiping the Greek gods.
''Dodekatheism–also known as ‘Hellenismos’, ‘Hellenism’, and ‘Hellenic Polytheism’ or ‘Hellenic Reconstructionism’–is the modern practice of the ancient Hellenic (Greek) religion. It focusses on the worship of the Twelve Olympic Gods–Zeus, Hera, Athena, Hēphaistos, Apollon, Artemis, Demeter, Hestia, Hermes, Ares, Poseidon and Aphrodite–along with the entire pantheon of Hellenic Gods, known collectively as the Theoi. Most Hellenists honour other types of divinities, including nature spirits, Khthonic (or Underworld) Deities, and heroes. Both physical and spiritual ancestors are honoured. Hellenists tend to be hard polytheists, meaning they view all Gods as separate entities and not linked through portfolio.''

About Dodekatheism | Welcome to Elaion
''Dodekatheism originated in and is practiced in Greece and in other countries. Leaders of the movement claimed in 2005 that there are as many as 2,000 adherents to the Hellenic tradition in Greece, with an additional 100,000 who have "some sort of interest".[1] No official estimates exist for devotees worldwide.

There are no official naming practices for this religion, but there does seem to be an informal naming convention, based on academically accepted descriptive definitions, adhered to by groups and most individual believers. Hellenism is the most common term, used chiefly as an identifier for the modern polytheistic religion by its adherents today but it can also refer to the ancient Greek religion and culture.''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenism_(religion)

Old 12-31-2017, 03:35 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Dodekatheism, heh. Like a dodecahedron...which makes sense, given the 12 gods/goddesses.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Jesus Christ through His revelations said that apollo is a fallen angel who is the king of the abyss , which is where the devil in the spirit realm would be ...... from Revelations 9:11 ....... So you can see these Greeks were deceived by wicked spirits in their belief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality