U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 PM

19,683 posts, read 15,054,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And I was pointing out the claim that Aramaic was not used in the OT was incorrect, and secondly, that clearly there are editorial changes/additions made to a book that is suppose to be 'infallible word of God'.
Yes, you did point that out. However, you were wrong about Ezra being mostly written in Aramaic. There's nothing wrong with being wrong as long as you are willing to admit it and learn from it.

And no, you did not bring up the issue of editorial changes in your reply to Mr5150 in post #12 which my reply to you in post #14 is based on. You made it a new issue in your reply to me in post #15. But my only business with you is concerning your error in post #12 and correcting it.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, you did point that out. However, you were wrong about Ezra being mostly written in Aramaic. There's nothing wrong with being wrong as long as you are willing to admit it and learn from it.

And no, you did not bring up the issue of editorial changes in your reply to Mr5150 in post #12 which my reply to you in post #14 is based on. You made it a new issue in your reply to me in post #15. But my only business with you is concerning your error in post #12 and correcting it.
So you are aware then that I did make two points.
  • Aramaic was used in the OT
  • That use shows that editorial changes/additions were made, which of course is contrary to admonitions in both Deuteronomy and repeated in Revelations.

So, the 'perfect book' isn't all that perfect.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So you are aware then that I did make two points.
  • Aramaic was used in the OT
  • That use shows that editorial changes/additions were made, which of course is contrary to admonitions in both Deuteronomy and repeated in Revelations.

So, the 'perfect book' isn't all that perfect.
I'm aware that you made it a new issue which you had not originally made in your reply to Mr5150.

As I told you, my only business with you was to correct your error which you seem unable or unwilling to own up to. It's hardly logical to argue for the inerrancy of the Bible with someone who doesn't even believe in God, or at least not the God of the Bible.

Instead of trying to distance yourself from the fact that you were wrong about the book of Ezra being written mostly in Aramaic, just admit that you were wrong and leave it at that. If you can't, then that's on you. And I am going to leave it at that.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 PM

36,242 posts, read 24,340,079 times
Default How many Gods exist in the Christian religion

One.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
One.
Soooo.... Elohim means nothing then?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:54 AM

11,913 posts, read 4,468,273 times
Only Three: the Father, Father, and Father.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:26 PM

5,197 posts, read 2,375,200 times
Is the holy spirit a god?

Old 01-05-2018, 01:43 AM

3,055 posts, read 745,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No.
The holy spirit is neither god nor God but it comes from God. This is why the Christians do not worship the holy spirit but worship God.

We all know that the Christians worship One God but the mistake made in the 4th or 5th century of regarding One God as three co-equal persons has not been eradicated. The more they explained about the three co-equal persons the more they complicated it. They should have simply left it to Mark 12:29.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 AM

4,109 posts, read 994,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
No.
The holy spirit is neither god nor God but it comes from God. This is why the Christians do not worship the holy spirit but worship God.

We all know that the Christians worship One God but the mistake made in the 4th or 5th century of regarding One God as three co-equal persons has not been eradicated. The more they explained about the three co-equal persons the more they complicated it. They should have simply left it to Mark 12:29.
Actually, yes. The Holy Spirit is God. He is a "person", in that he has a will, he can act, he can have desires. He can be lied to. He does things and is described in ways a person is described.

But there is ONLY 1 God, and He has said he won't share his glory with others. So the only logical conclusion is the 3 persons in one God.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The Bible states that the Holy Spirit is God just as it says that the Father is God and that Jesus is God.

I will back up that statement.

First, in Acts 5:3-4 Peter says to Ananias that he has lied to the Holy Spirit and in doing so has not lied to men but has lied to God.

Secondly, Romans 8:26-27 shows that the Holy Spirit has a mind and that He intercedes 'for the saints.'
The fact that the Holy Spirit is said to have a mind indicates personhood rather than simply being a force. Further, the statement ''He who knows what the mind of the Spirit is'' shows a distinction between ''He'' who is God, and the Spirit whose mind 'He' knows. In that statement, two 'persons' both of whom are God, are shown.

In John 16:13 the Holy Spirit speaks and hears which further demonstrates personhood rather than being a force from God.

In John 15:26 Jesus said that He will send the Holy Spirit (referred to as the Spirit of truth in the verse) from the Father. In that verse all three persons who elsewhere are called God, are shown.

It is because of statements in the Bible such as those that the early church struggled for centuries to define the relationship between God the Father, the Son who is called God, and the Holy Spirit who is said to be God. Eventually, the term Latin word 'trinitas' from which we get the word 'trinity' was used to define that relationship.

Therefore yes, according to the Bible the Holy Spirit is, not ''a god'', but God, just as Jesus is said to be, and just as the Father is. One God in three 'persons.'

Last edited by Mike555; 01-05-2018 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or