Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What do you mean 'legal sect'? Who says it's legal?
Israel became a province of Judaism after in 6.D. Roma would not tolerate an unauthorized religion and so Christianity was a legal authorized religion under the umbrella of Rome and authorized to continue under the past legal battles Paul had and others. Rome Knew right away this would become a problem and so we find Jewish sources and Roma sources trying to separate the Gentile convert to Judaism. This was accomplished in Hadrian's day, and it made perfect common sense as it did to Jeroboam the first king of the Northern kingdom who also changed the feasts and thus stopping the people to make pilgrimages to Jerusalem where ASSUREDLY Jerusalem would have become the holy capitol of the world, and the Jewish priests would have been the authorities of all people.

Rome was desperate to stop the Roman to make pilgrimages to Jerusalem lest the law would soon proceed from Jerusalem, and this was a given. But the Orthodox Jew didn't want the Christian and Rome was desperate until the burning of the great synagogue and this was the final nail in the coffin that stopped Gentiles from converting to Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
LOL! That was your big secret?

It was no secret. We've been telling you long enough. You just had your fingers stuffed in your ears.

Quote:
Well, until science can tell us how something comes from nothing, design is the only explanation.
Wrong. Until we have an explanation (1), "Don't Know" is the corect answer , not "Goddunnit". That basic fallacy of you theists is why you can never get it right, even if you argues correctly and logically, which by and large, you don't. No wonder we minority dissenters sweep the boards.

(1) the ultra -perceptive will have noticed that I have a keyboard problem with a sticky "X"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-21-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Israel became a province of Judaism after in 6.D. Roma would not tolerate an unauthorized religion and so Christianity was a legal authorized religion under the umbrella of Rome and authorized to continue under the past legal battles Paul had and others. Rome Knew right away this would become a problem and so we find Jewish sources and Roma sources trying to separate the Gentile convert to Judaism. This was accomplished in Hadrian's day, and it made perfect common sense as it did to Jeroboam the first king of the Northern kingdom who also changed the feasts and thus stopping the people to make pilgrimages to Jerusalem where ASSUREDLY Jerusalem would have become the holy capitol of the world, and the Jewish priests would have been the authorities of all people.

Rome was desperate to stop the Roman to make pilgrimages to Jerusalem lest the law would soon proceed from Jerusalem, and this was a given. But the Orthodox Jew didn't want the Christian and Rome was desperate until the burning of the great synagogue and this was the final nail in the coffin that stopped Gentiles from converting to Judaism.

I have to disagree. Judaism was a permitted religion so long as they sacrificed to the Emperor in Rome, paid their taxes and kept the peace, or at least did not side with the rebels when Rome put them down.

But this was breaking down. Not only had the Pharisees not been enthusiastic about Roman rule (1) but a delegation of Jews and Samaritans was sent to Rome to complain to Tiberius about Pilate's rough methods. That was when Pilate was recalled.

So much we can get from Josephus, but I suggest that Jesus' party (the Nazorenes) looked just as suspicious to Rime as John's 'repentance' movement looked to Antipas. It was a movement within the Pharisee ambit (2) and was, I propose, closely allied with the zealots.
I even have a strong suspicion that the Qumran 'monastery' and the cache of scrolls was not Essene, as is assumed, but Nazorene zealot.

(1) the Nativity debate with Pneuma showed up the interesting note in Josephus that 6,000 Pharisees in Judea (that is, all of them) refused to take the Augustan oath and were fined. That was before Judea became a Roman province, so a similar act after 6 AD would have been regarded as rebellion.

Saul, as a Pharisee Roman citizen was opposed to the Nazorenes as was the Sanhedrin which was really part of the Roman provincial administration.

(2) the ongoing hostility in the gospels reflects Paulinist Greek Christian wrangling with the Pharisees who observed the Law, and in no way reflects the views of Jesus, who as a Pharisee Jew himself would have observed the mosaic Law., and so would his followers.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
It was no secret. We've been telling you long enough. You just had your fingers stuffed in your ears.

Wrong. Until we have an explanation (1), "Don't Know" is the corect answer , not "Goddunnit". That basic fallacy of you theists is why you can never get it right, even if you argues correctly and logically, which by and large, you don't. No wonder we minority dissenters sweep the boards.

(1) the ultra -perceptive will have noticed that I have a keyboard problem with a sticky "X"
Why is design not a plausible answer? It certainly would explain a lot.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:43 PM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Why is design not a plausible answer? It certainly would explain a lot.
It may be an answer.
We're just saying there's no evidence for it.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
I have to disagree. Judaism was a permitted religion so long as they sacrificed to the Emperor in Rome, paid their taxes and kept the peace, or at least did not side with the rebels when Rome put them down.

But this was breaking down. Not only had the Pharisees not been enthusiastic about Roman rule (1) but a delegation of Jews and Samaritans was sent to Rome to complain to Tiberius about Pilate's rough methods. That was when Pilate was recalled.

So much we can get from Josephus, but I suggest that Jesus' party (the Nazorenes) looked just as suspicious to Rime as John's 'repentance' movement looked to Antipas. It was a movement within the Pharisee ambit (2) and was, I propose, closely allied with the zealots.
I even have a strong suspicion that the Qumran 'monastery' and the cache of scrolls was not Essene, as is assumed, but Nazorene zealot.

(1) the Nativity debate with Pneuma showed up the interesting note in Josephus that 6,000 Pharisees in Judea (that is, all of them) refused to take the Augustan oath and were fined. That was before Judea became a Roman province, so a similar act after 6 AD would have been regarded as rebellion.

Saul, as a Pharisee Roman citizen was opposed to the Nazorenes as was the Sanhedrin which was really part of the Roman provincial administration.

(2) the ongoing hostility in the gospels reflects Paulinist Greek Christian wrangling with the Pharisees who observed the Law, and in no way reflects the views of Jesus, who as a Pharisee Jew himself would have observed the mosaic Law., and so would his followers.
Sounds like you are saying the same thing, I mean we are both aware that Rome didn't like Judaism, but as far as the law was concerned, Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism no matter what their name was. They acted in accordance with the law, and as Paul did, they always proved who their own authorities were when they submitted to the priests of Judaism. Many Jews did not want these converts and after the Jewish war, it became a very dangerous thing for a Gentile to keep Jewish feasts that taught of a Jewish Messiah. Rome MUST have been certain of one thing, as they watched all those Romans become Christian at some point, they knew they had to separate the Gentile convert to Judaism, from Judaism, and that is why an agreement was struck, that strand of Christians accepted the Saturnalia in place of Sukkot, or Easter instead of Passover, after all, that is what took place. Christianity began in Judaism with Passover, Pentecost, and Sukkot, but they were not brave enough to continue looking like the Jew. The Jew was hated after the war, but a Gentile following Jewish ways was hated all the more. Gentile Christians being blamed for the fire of the great synagogue is what finally broke Gentiles away from Jews.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It may be an answer.
We're just saying there's no evidence for it.
If you accept design as a possible answer, it must have some credibility. At this point, it is the only logical conclusion.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
If you accept design as a possible answer, it must have some credibility. At this point, it is the only logical conclusion.
Fail.

This is why I do not respect you as a poster. You see ONLY one possibility. That is not being open-minded. That is not showing a willingness to learn.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Fail.

This is why I do not respect you as a poster. You see ONLY one possibility. That is not being open-minded. That is not showing a willingness to learn.
LOL! I don’t care what you think about me as a poster.

There is no other possibility. You and I both know that.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
LOL! I don’t care what you think about me as a poster.

There is no other possibility. You and I both know that.
In more than one way, no we don't both know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality