U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 AM

3,097 posts, read 834,705 times

Advertisements

Sin is an act of disobeying God.

Adam's sin wasn't eating something but disobeying God.

If we want peace in the world, we must stop sinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 AM

9,709 posts, read 13,602,104 times
OP, which Adam?
You know, there was two Adams? Adam Kadmon and Adam Ha-rishon?

Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 AM

commentary on Song of Songs: Through the sin of Adam Ha-Rishon, the Shechinah moved from the earth to the first firmament. Upon the sin of Cain and Abel, the Shechinah moved from the first to the second firmament.
Through the sin of Enosh, the Shechinah moved from the second to the third, etc. Eventually, through the sins of successive generations the Shechinah was removed until the seventh firmament. It was Abraham who started the process of return, by bringing the Shechinah from the seventh firmament back to the sixth, and thereafter Isaac from the sixth to the fifth etc., until Moses in the seventh generation returned the Shechinah to this earth where the Shechinah rested in the Tabernacle.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Shechinah שכינה is derived from the word shochen שכן, “to dwell within.” The Shechinah is G‑d as G‑d is dwelling within. Shechinah is “The Divine Presence.” Or, the G-d within.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:21 AM

25,935 posts, read 13,705,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Shechinah שכינה is derived from the word shochen שכן, “to dwell within.” The Shechinah is G‑d as G‑d is dwelling within. Shechinah is “The Divine Presence.” Or, the G-d within.
The Shekhina(h) (also spelled Shekina(h), Schechina(h), or Shechina(h)) (Biblical Hebrew: שכינה‎) is the English transliteration of a Hebrew word meaning "dwelling" or "settling" and denotes the dwelling or settling of the divine presence of God. The Shekhinah is the feminine aspect of Divinity, also referred to as the Divine Presence. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

Old 01-09-2018, 08:06 AM

15,301 posts, read 6,851,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The question is not at all inappropriate. I am trying to assess where the poster is coming from.
The poster is trying to identify a specific foundational "sin," like the people who say it is having sex, simply because awareness of sexuality comes pretty much at the same time as awareness of our place in society and the possibility of choosing our own desires over the good of our social order. It is just afailure to recognize that the story is about that awareness rather than any particular "temptation."

Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 AM

5,003 posts, read 1,229,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If we look at the father of Cain and Abel (Adam) as the real Lord who favors one son over the other, then to me it is very easy to see what the original sin is. Adam in this story represents the powers of this world plotting the workers, the common men, against each other. Cain had no choice but to offer a blood offering, since that is the only kind that was acceptable. Adam had a taste for wild game, just as his descendant Isaac would as well.

The story is obviously a reference to war. And the powers which bring spiritual brothers (of different nations) against each other.

Do you think that this could be the original sin?
Wow. I am continually amazed at the wild new and crazy ways of reading a simple text.

Do you read other books that way? Do you read the newspaper as a big collection of allegories?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 11,742,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. I am continually amazed at the wild new and crazy ways of reading a simple text.

Do you read other books that way? Do you read the newspaper as a big collection of allegories?
Any popular story which endures through time can be read as an allegory. The characters are all aspects of the reader, don't you think?

Besides, I don't think any intelligent adult still believes that Adam was a real person. I believe he is just lying to himself if he really thinks that.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:45 PM

18,479 posts, read 8,625,386 times
Quote:
Any popular story which endures through time can be read as an allegory. The characters are all aspects of the reader, don't you think?

Besides, I don't think any intelligent adult still believes that Adam was a real person. I believe he is just lying to himself if he really thinks that.
I have met quite a few people who believe in a literal Adam and Eve.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

4,535 posts, read 2,227,177 times
Quote:
My interpretation of the "sin" of Adam is the sin itself which is common to all people, not something that one man committed historically.
Adam broke God's Law ( the law of the land of Eden ) the do Not touch, do Not eat from the forbidden tree Law.
So, when trespassing Adam stole God's fruit, then Adam was taking the Law out of God's hands, and placing the Law into man's hands.
Adam set up People Rule as superior to God Rule. Only the passing of time would tell who could govern the best.
Mankind's history proves that rule by man is a failure in bringing Peace on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality