U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

2,775 posts, read 586,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Any popular story which endures through time can be read as an allegory. The characters are all aspects of the reader, don't you think?
So the story of Alexander the Great is allegory?
Quote:
Besides, I don't think any intelligent adult still believes that Adam was a real person. I believe he is just lying to himself if he really thinks that.
Of course they were. Jesus believed they were real. That's enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

6,836 posts, read 10,872,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

That's a popular claim with conservatives, but there is nothing in scripture which supports that claim.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

14,915 posts, read 6,882,560 times
Quote:
That's a popular claim with conservatives, but there is nothing in scripture which supports that claim.
And there you have one of the major problems for atheists (or at least this atheist) with the Bible. It's factual, except it's not. That is not a valid point of view.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

30,387 posts, read 6,304,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just curious. Is there a reason this wasn't posted in the Christianity sub-forum? Almost seems like you are inviting atheists to dispute that there is any evidence of Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel.
I'm glad to see, in fact, that we godless bastards are staying out of this one. It was perhaps more appropriate to a discussion of Christianity and its' Theology, with comments from the other Abrahamic religions.

Atheists don't believe the Bible story, the Theological doctrine or any religious take as really understanding the matter at all, so it simply isn't one for us to get involved in.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Yesterday at 07:18 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm glad to see, in fact, that we godless bastards are staying out of this one. It was perhaps more appropriate to a discussion of Christianity and its' Theology, with comments from the other Abrahamic religions.

Atheists don't believe the Bible story, the Theological doctrine or any religious take as really understanding the matter at all, so it simply isn't one for us to get involved in.
I would think that even Atheists might have an interest in a story which has endured for so long, though that was not my intent.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

14,915 posts, read 6,882,560 times
Quote:
I would think that even Atheists might have an interest in a story which has endured for so long, though that was not my intent.
Actually, you stated that perfectly.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 689,415 times
Quote:
If we look at the father of Cain and Abel (Adam) as the real Lord who favors one son over the other, then to me it is very easy to see what the original sin is. Adam in this story represents the powers of this world plotting the workers, the common men, against each other. Cain had no choice but to offer a blood offering, since that is the only kind that was acceptable. Adam had a taste for wild game, just as his descendant Isaac would as well.

The story is obviously a reference to war. And the powers which bring spiritual brothers (of different nations) against each other.

Do you think that this could be the original sin?
No. It's simpler than that.
Original sin is human baseness.
Our animalism.

Old Today, 01:26 AM

12,849 posts, read 8,782,023 times
Quote:
Wow. I am continually amazed at the wild new and crazy ways of reading a simple text.
That's rich coming from someone that takes a simple text in his Bible and then turns cart-wheels trying to make it say something that it doesn't.

Quote:
Do you read other books that way? Do you read the newspaper as a big collection of allegories?
When you read the newspapers, do you look for hidden messages and secret texts that can only be understood if you are an expert scholar of ancient dead languages?

Quote:

Your Jesus believed that there was a world wide flood when two of every species alive fitted into a small boat and survived for nearly a year and were then released into an environment that had no food for them yet they thrived and multiplied to what we see today. Do you believe that too?

Old Today, 02:45 AM

8,177 posts, read 3,098,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Your Jesus believed that there was a world wide flood when two of every species alive fitted into a small boat and survived for nearly a year and were then released into an environment that had no food for them yet they thrived and multiplied to what we see today. Do you believe that too?
It's absurd that these types of discussions are still occurring in 2018! Talk about being stuck in the stone ages!

Old Today, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, you stated that perfectly.
Theists are many centuries ahead of atheists in believing it was just a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality