U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM

30,417 posts, read 6,323,636 times

Advertisements

That's unfortunate. Your loss. You have essentially chosen to keep the Rose coloured glasses on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

13,436 posts, read 5,886,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What you seem to missing is that the Bible is FULL of spiritually helpful stuff. So your attacks on these oddly out of context passages means nothing to those people who find guidance in the Bible. You might as well be talking to a brick wall.
What YOU are missing is the fact that there are spiritually helpful elements IN the Bible does not make the Bible a spiritual authority of which the precepts and practices are to be viewed as coming from God, but that there is a record of the growing awareness within it of the nature of God and our relationship with Him and our society.
The spirit OF that nature and relationship that can be seen as developed in the Bible is wht is of value, not the varied perceptions presented.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

2,369 posts, read 1,157,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wow. I am continually amazed at the wild new and crazy ways of reading a simple text.

Do you read other books that way? Do you read the newspaper as a big collection of allegories?
I read the classics as allegories.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

6,845 posts, read 10,882,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's unfortunate. Your loss. You have essentially chosen to keep the Rose coloured glasses on.
Sometimes a person doesn't realize they need glasses until they visit the optometrist.
Unfortunately some never take that first step.

Old Today, 01:49 AM

30,417 posts, read 6,323,636 times
To take the analogy a bit further, one needs to beware of a self -styled Optometrist who tells someone that although he Thinks he can see perfectly well, he really needs this pair of Rose coloured glasses he is selling and then if he imagines it hard enough he will see all sorts of things that others can't.

I'm not falling for it. I don't think the Bible is true even of factual things, so how can we trust it os spiritual claims? And as a guide to life and ethics, counts for no more than any other Book, and in fact some others are better.

Were it not for the undue influence and control the biblical religion has, I wouldn't spend a minute on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality