U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,067,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
#IAmThe20%

You're way more rare then that Geekie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM

14,943 posts, read 6,905,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
What Is The Future Of Religion? - A Worldwide Religious Awakening

Here is the article.

In addition, the number of atheists are in decline, as atheists tend to have fewer children than religious people. Religious 'nones' projected to decline as share of world population | Pew Research Center

Actually it it is a majority of people in US prisons are Christian, however it is a trend esp for Black prisoners to convert to Islam there. Europe is the same with its Blacks as well on the trend for converting to Islam in Prisons.
Sorry, not interested in an article from a clearly biased source.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM

30,427 posts, read 6,337,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry, not interested in an article from a clearly biased source.
I think PEW deserves more credit that than that.

The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan American think tank based in Washington, D.C. It provides information on social issues, public opinion, and demographic trends shaping the United States and the world.[2] It also conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis, and other empirical social science research. The Pew Research Center does not take explicit policy positions, and is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts.(Wiki)

We will tend to Interpret the data to support our preferences, but it is just one bit of the information coming in, and we just have to note the apparent trends and await the next bit of research.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM

13,701 posts, read 7,614,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
TRANSLATION:
"Ignore the data from 1949, and trust me even though I show nothing to support my claims about the present day."
But ... but ... he's a distinguished professor of social science!

I will give him a little straw to cling to though: there is some validity to the notion that just because young people don't go to church, doesn't mean they won't eventually adopt some of those affiliations later in life, when they have kids and so forth. It reminds me of a group I used to belong to, of theater pipe organ enthusiasts. They have been hand-wringing since the 1950s that there aren't enough young people involved, but guess what, it's something that suits the tastes (and financial and time resources) of older people and there are always people "aging into" those kinds of groups. The assumption that the group is going to die out with the current generation of oldsters is generally incorrect. There is always a new generation, it just isn't always equivalent to the young generation.

However, now that I've held out a little hope, I'm going to dash it: two and three and four generations ago, I do not think anyone needed an apologetic for "young people leaving in droves" because it wasn't happening. For one thing young people can no longer find decent paying jobs without a college education, and a college education is known to turn young people far more liberal even when it doesn't cause them to realize that there's no evidence for the authoritarian believe-or-burn style of god.

So you have a two-pronged problem: young people just plain leaving, sure, but also, young people becoming less interested in dogma. For the latter group, the way out of theism is through it. Over several generations or less, they will be, from the viewpoint of their fundamentalist forebears, mere cultural Christians.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM

14,943 posts, read 6,905,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think PEW deserves more credit that than that.

The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan American think tank based in Washington, D.C. It provides information on social issues, public opinion, and demographic trends shaping the United States and the world.[2] It also conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis, and other empirical social science research. The Pew Research Center does not take explicit policy positions, and is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts.(Wiki)

We will tend to Interpret the data to support our preferences, but it is just one bit of the information coming in, and we just have to note the apparent trends and await the next bit of research.
I'm not talking about Pew. I'm talking about the John Templeton Foundation, as referred to in the opening post's link. I think Pew does a reasonably good job. I think Templeton is P-yew.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:23 PM

6,845 posts, read 10,882,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We're supposed to just believe you? You can't cite the survey?

But even if that data is reasonably correct, so what?

After all, around 80% of convicts are religious, most being Christian.
If a reformed convict becomes religious, I would consider that a good thing.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM

6,845 posts, read 10,882,836 times
Also, I see religion as people acknowledging a force inside of themselves that they cannot explain. Literally, an inner strength that anyone else can access as well. I have no problem calling that force God. It is as real as they claim it to be.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:12 PM

13,701 posts, read 7,614,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Also, I see religion as people acknowledging a force inside of themselves that they cannot explain. Literally, an inner strength that anyone else can access as well. I have no problem calling that force God. It is as real as they claim it to be.
Yes it's currently popular to call things god that we have perfectly good and far more accurate words for -- the universe, existence, life, love, personal character and fortitude and the like. It's understandable in the sense that theists are probably getting a little big fatigued making a case for god, so why not point to something that clearly exists and just relabel it ... it's a way to save a little face. ;-)

Old 01-07-2018, 07:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 767,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You're way more rare then that Geekie.
Aww...thanks L8! *hugs*

Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 PM

10,039 posts, read 3,064,693 times
I have never even met an Atheist in real life, I am not sure they exist, everyone I have ever known believes in some kind of spirituality, I would say 90 percent of people are religious and I think that is a conservative view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality