U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:32 PM

3,652 posts, read 1,067,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I have never even met an Atheist in real life, I am not sure they exist, everyone I have ever known believes in some kind of spirituality, I would say 90 percent of people are religious and I think that is a conservative view.
Something for your bucket list Hanni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM

44,979 posts, read 45,231,254 times
Quote:
I have never even met an Atheist in real life, I am not sure they exist, everyone I have ever known believes in some kind of spirituality, I would say 90 percent of people are religious and I think that is a conservative view.
I think that's because you live in Texas, Hanni. I know plenty of atheists. Most, if not all, of my siblings are, and I am one of seven, six still living. The dead one was an atheist. The night before he died, he received communion from a Catholic priest who was ministering to the man in the next bed and offered it. He had never been Catholic, but his daughter is. I think he did that for her comfort. She wasn't there, but my mother was, and so she knows.

But I know atheists from work and just everywhere. It's not unusual nor is someone a pariah in New Jersey if they say they don't believe in any deity. Not sure you can say that in Texas, at least not in some parts of it.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 PM

10,035 posts, read 3,064,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's because you live in Texas, Hanni. I know plenty of atheists. Most, if not all, of my siblings are, and I am one of seven, six still living. The dead one was an atheist. The night before he died, he received communion from a Catholic priest who was ministering to the man in the next bed and offered it. He had never been Catholic, but his daughter is. I think he did that for her comfort. She wasn't there, but my mother was, and so she knows.

But I know atheists from work and just everywhere. It's not unusual nor is someone a pariah in New Jersey if they say they don't believe in any deity. Not sure you can say that in Texas, at least not in some parts of it.
I guess that is true, this area is nothing like it was, the majority was white, and now the minority are white, but the influx of people believe in God.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,560,053 times
Quote:
Booth, Texas selection bias!

Pretty sure you yourself used to be an atheist, though, if I recall your CD oeuvre correctly. Perhaps you have forgotten your past self

Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 AM

13,701 posts, read 7,614,488 times
Quote:
I live in a pretty liberal community and in my not very active social life I have stumbled on one other publicly self-labeled atheist who I am quite certain doesn't believe.

Of course, just as you see mainly other theists, I have a motivation to be very sensitive to noticing anyone else who is an atheist and to interpret anyone's lack of explicit piety as more likely to be atheism. The truth is I just don't know.

Far more consequential that outright atheists, in my view, is the trend toward not subscribing to a particular faith which inherently means holding one's religious beliefs, such as they may be, quite loosely. I certainly know of people who sit through liturgies regularly, hearing the exact same Bible verses I grew up with, but understanding them very differently (and often, I'm convinced, not much registering them at all). I think that's a far greater practical problem for Christianity than a relative handful of us atheists.

For example my next door neighbor self-deprecatingly self-labels as "Scottish Presbyterian" in origin but that is not a take on his religious beliefs, but on the fact that he's extremely frugal (or "cheap" as he puts it). His actual active religious association is Catholic, but he and his wife are constantly on the verge of leaving the RCC over the endless pedophile priest thing, and other hypocrisies that keep them holding their noses. The main thing that keeps them (very nominally) in the fold is their involvement in Catholic Charities, something they really believe in and want to support -- but that is far more a social conviction than a religious one. Similarly we are in sporadic attendance at an Episcopal congregation that I suspect has a lot of people involved more because of the food kitchen they operate than the liturgical extravaganzas they put on. The local UU church seems more about non-violent political protest and civil disobedience in the region than about any sort of religious sentiment. The local Presbyterians seem to be the local congregation for the ostentatious elites in the community. And so forth.

So for me the key question is what are the meta-trends in religion and how connected are they to people's actual beliefs. How does actual dogma inform people's lives anymore? I'm increasingly thinking, not all that much. People's religion is less about faith and more about social reciprocity / belonging.

Religious conservatives get all up in arms about us obvious unbelievers while the real problem has been brewing right under their noses all along. And they are hemorrhaging young people themselves. Maybe they should focus on making their value proposition compelling to their increasingly educated youngsters. I think they fail to do that because that's far more challenging than railing against their cartoon stereotypes of atheists, and because going after bogeymen like me doesn't require them to CHANGE in any substantive way.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Booth, Texas selection bias!

Pretty sure you yourself used to be an atheist, though, if I recall your CD oeuvre correctly. Perhaps you have forgotten your past self
LOL, You got me, I don't know what that means. I was an Atheist for a few months I suppose. When I found that ancient Egyptian city that was built in the same design as the Temple in Jerusalem where the temple expanded into a city. For about 6 months I doubted there was a God.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM

30,427 posts, read 6,337,796 times
Well..of all the reasons to become atheist, that the Jewish holy book described their Temple as somewhat along the lines of Egyptian temple design, is one I never came across before.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well..of all the reasons to become atheist, that the Jewish holy book described their Temple as somewhat along the lines of Egyptian temple design, is one I never came across before.
Well, I have always been a temple design freak and trying to find the big picture, and I knew so much about Temple design in Jerusalem that I found the same thing in Egypt, it did freak me out that it was an expanding temple and that's what we have when the temple becomes a city. In the Bible's case, we are looking at a Temple where somebody did an autopsy on a virgin and they set out to building a Temple to represent human anatomy and that of a virgin. Look up what a high priest would wear when he came up to the veil on Yom Kippur. You are looking at a man dressed in a garment to represent a circumcised Phallus with his seed at the bottom of that garment in Pomegranites. The idea was always that the temple would become pregnant, and people are walking temples. That veil is a wall of separation inside a virgin and when it was rent from top to bottom it proved a consummation where the ark was exposed as a uterus. Jesus came as a true virgin being that all flesh is a house, a body that houses a male spirit, and Jesus was that perfect temple. On unleavened bread, Jesus was planted into the earth as a seed, and the earth literally became pregnant with her first son of many sons to follow. All those authors of the bible were unaware of this save maybe one person, a priest and a prophet.

Ezekiel 43
10Thou son of man, shew the house to the house of Israel, that they may be ashamed of their iniquities: and let them measure the pattern. 11And if they be ashamed of all that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the laws thereof: and write it in their sight, that they may keep the whole form thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and do them. 12This is the law of the house; Upon the top of the mountain the whole limit thereof round about shall be most holy. Behold, this is the law of the house.
The Altar of Sacrifice
13And these are the measures of the altar after the cubits: The cubit is a cubit and an hand breadth; even the bottom shall be a cubit, and the breadth a cubit, and the border thereof by the edge thereof round about shall be a span: and this shall be the higher place of the altar. 14And from the bottom upon the ground even to the lower settle shall be two cubits, and the breadth one cubit; and from the lesser settle even to the greater settle shall be four cubits, and the breadth one cubit. 15So the altar shall be four cubits; and from the altar and upward shall be four horns. 16And the altar shall be twelve cubits long, twelve broad, square in the four squares thereof. 17And the settle shall be fourteen cubits long and fourteen broad in the four squares thereof; and the border about it shall be half a cubit; and the bottom thereof shall be a cubit about; and his stairs shall look toward the east.
The Altar Consecrated
18And he said unto me, Son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; These are the ordinances of the altar in the day when they shall make it, to offer burnt offerings thereon, and to sprinkle blood thereon. 19And thou shalt give to the priests the Levites that be of the seed of Zadok, which approach unto me, to minister unto me, saith the Lord GOD, a young bullock for a sin offering. 20And thou shalt take of the blood thereof, and put it on the four horns of it, and on the four corners of the settle, and upon the border round about: thus shalt thou cleanse and purge it. 21Thou shalt take the bullock also of the sin offering, and he shall burn it in the appointed place of the house, without the sanctuary.
22And on the second day thou shalt offer a kid of the goats without blemish for a sin offering; and they shall cleanse the altar, as they did cleanse it with the bullock. 23When thou hast made an end of cleansing it, thou shalt offer a young bullock without blemish, and a ram out of the flock without blemish. 24And thou shalt offer them before the LORD, and the priests shall cast salt upon them, and they shall offer them up for a burnt offering unto the LORD. 25Seven days shalt thou prepare every day a goat for a sin offering: they shall also prepare a young bullock, and a ram out of the flock, without blemish. 26Seven days shall they purge the altar and purify it; and they shall consecrate themselves. 27And when these days are expired, it shall be, that upon the eighth day, and so forward, the priests shall make your burnt offerings upon the altar, and your peace offerings; and I will accept you, saith the Lord GOD.

Old Today, 05:17 PM

9,066 posts, read 3,304,947 times
well, there is far more believers in something than is are "just deny any science theists can use" types. In other words, there are more "live and let live" types than "hate all religion" types.

That's easy enough. But important to point out. Both "deny everything" and "my god only" are out to deceive people in order to recruit followers. Likely, more people aren't buying into either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality