U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,320,598 times

Advertisements

It is a very religious world, far more religious than it was 50 years ago. Gallup World Poll Surveys [link?] of more than a million people living in 163 nations show that:

-- 81 percent claim to belong to an organized religious faith, and most of the rest report engaging in religious activities such as prayer or making offerings to the gods in various “folk religion” temples.

-- 74 percent say religion is an important part of their daily lives.

-- 50 percent report they have attended a place of worship or religious service in the past seven days.What Is The Future Of Religion? - A Worldwide Religious Awakening

Even within Europe, there are small percentages of people attending Church, however large amount of them have beliefs such as astrology and fortune telling as well as Spiritualism. It is not an atheist continent.

In Latin America today more people are attending church than 50 years ago.

In the Muslim world, there been an increase in number of people attending mosques, and it not just the uneducated but the educated as well.

IN the US, it always been the younger people that don't attend church compared to the older generations, even when polling first began. Only when they have Kids, they usually send them to church. Even if there are Americans that do not go to church a high percentage of them pray and do belief in God.

I don't live in the US but it is common in my country to hear young people not going to church but it changes when they have kids.

Even Asia, there been a rise in religious beliefs especially in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 PM

4,621 posts, read 1,417,061 times
I couldn't find the source that article quoted. Can you link it up so we can look at it?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Status: "A subtle racist is still a racist" (set 12 days ago)

16,531 posts, read 7,882,700 times
We're supposed to just believe you? You can't cite the survey?

But even if that data is reasonably correct, so what?

After all, around 80% of convicts are religious, most being Christian.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:42 AM

3,628 posts, read 984,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We're supposed to just believe you? You can't cite the survey?

But even if that data is reasonably correct, so what?

After all, around 80% of convicts are religious, most being Christian.
#IAmThe20%

Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,320,598 times
What Is The Future Of Religion? - A Worldwide Religious Awakening

Here is the article.

In addition, the number of atheists are in decline, as atheists tend to have fewer children than religious people. Religious 'nones' projected to decline as share of world population | Pew Research Center

Actually it it is a majority of people in US prisons are Christian, however it is a trend esp for Black prisoners to convert to Islam there. Europe is the same with its Blacks as well on the trend for converting to Islam in Prisons.

Last edited by other99; 01-07-2018 at 02:02 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 346,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Here is the article.

In addition, the number of atheists are in decline, as atheists tend to have fewer children than religious people. Religious 'nones' projected to decline as share of world population | Pew Research Center

Actually it it is a majority of people in US prisons are Christian, however it is a trend esp for Black prisoners to convert to Islam there. Europe is the same with its Blacks as well on the trend for converting to Islam in Prisons.
LOL... well, you just posted the claim-abundant but data-free link from which you cut-and-pasted (as though it was your own writing).

Quote:
Latin America

For centuries, Latin America was alleged to be a Roman Catholic continent. For instance, the Catholic Almanac (1949) reported that Catholics constituted 99.2 percent in Argentina, 98.0 percent in Bolivia, and 99.8 percent in Chile. In truth, only about 10 to 20 percent of Latin Americans were active Catholics in those days; so few men entered the seminaries that most of the priests in South America were imported from abroad. Then came the conversion of tens of millions to Protestant groups, most of them of the Pentecostal variety. Faced with competition, the Catholic church responded so energetically that today Latin American Catholics flock to church in amazing numbers—well over 50 percent attend weekly Mass in most nations and over 60 percent in eight of them. What once was a fictitious Catholic continent is now actually a very Christian continent.
TRANSLATION:
"Ignore the data from 1949, and trust me even though I show nothing to support my claims about the present day."

Quote:
During the 1950s, about 100,000 pilgrims made the trip to Mecca annually. By the mid-1970s, that number had risen to more than one million per year; by 2012, it topped three million.
So transportation infrastructure and general wealth in the Muslim world - allowing people to afford the Hajj - have increased. And?

Quote:
There are more Christians in Sub-Saharan Africa than anywhere else on Earth; a third of the world’s more than two billion Christians live there. And they are the world’s most active Christians: weekly church attendance averages 71 percent, ranging from 90 percent in Nigeria to 61 percent in Zimbabwe. While many Sub-Saharan Africans are Roman Catholics, the majority belongs to one of the more than 11,000 Protestant denominations founded by Africans.
There are a lot of people, period, in sub-Saharan Africa. But how religious was it 50 years ago? The article, which claims a surge in religiosity, doesn't have any data.

Quote:
Instead, India has undergone a massive Hindu revival. Today, 67 percent of Indians say they have attended a religious service in the past week, 85 percent acknowledge religion as important in their daily lives, and atheists are scarce.
Again, how do present-day numbers in the absence of data from the past document a revival or surge? Hint - they don't.

Quote:
Attendance at Europe’s very limited variety of Christian churches is very low. Even so, most Europeans still hold religious beliefs and atheists are few—an average of 6.6 percent in Western Europe and 4.6 percent in the East.ts are scarce.
Yet again, no reference points from the past. And, again, no actual statistical sources provided by the author. But I have some. The author mentions Gallup (but his ['link?'] shows that hyperlinking either eludes him as a skill, or he is too lazy to do so). In the survey below, 15% in Germany and 29% in France are atheists. Those are the two largest countries in western Europe, and every other western European country listed shows an atheism rate higher than the 6.6% the author is claiming.

Also, the link notes a drop by 9% of those claiming to be religious and a rise by 3% of those claiming atheism from the previous survey (7 years prior).

In other words, the author is claiming numbers not even supported by the one source he mentions (but for which he doesn't provide references).

Here's some actual data:
https://sidmennt.is/wp-content/uploa...leysi-2012.pdf

Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM

32,559 posts, read 7,801,253 times
Onne claim (deriving from the Pew research findings) is a projected expectation of religion outpacing irreligion ( always thought we were in the minority anyway) but this may be ignoring more people coming out as irreligious also in Islam and some other Christian countries either because thee younger people are asking questions or people are getting the idea of saying 'none' rather that whatever religious culture they live in. So Don't count the chickens yet, the projected figures are based on data that cannot take account of factors which we have become aware of but wouldn't show up in their results.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Here is the article.

The Pew article was projecting more religious people based on birth rates. Since religious people have more children they're using that for the rise in percentages. It's far from a given that those children will stay religious as they become adults. I wouldn't call religious people having children an "awakening". That article looks like a subtle nod to the movie Idiocracy.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:03 AM

9,377 posts, read 12,937,474 times
As a wise man pointed out...

Back in time, India was the richest country in the world. It was very spiritual.
Currently, US is in the same situation.

Reason being is very simple. When people reach material satisfaction, they also find out that it did not provide any spiritual satisfaction. In His words, getting more of material is like tossing butter at bonfire - it only burns better.

Point being: as the world lives better in material aspect, its interest in spiritual increases, as materail is not satisfying the need for spiritual.

I actually even have a simple example. I work for a corporation for over dozen years. Every year at corporate meeting, speech was given by The Man himself how company provides for the employees and families and how more of (....) you can have now.
The usual.
First time last year I noticed him say "you can't take it all with you". Something changed in the man. I think he starts getting it.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
As a wise man pointed out...

Back in time, India was the richest country in the world. It was very spiritual.
Currently, US is in the same situation.

Reason being is very simple. When people reach material satisfaction, they also find out that it did not provide any spiritual satisfaction. In His words, getting more of material is like tossing butter at bonfire - it only burns better.

Point being: as the world lives better in material aspect, its interest in spiritual increases, as materail is not satisfying the need for spiritual.

I actually even have a simple example. I work for a corporation for over dozen years. Every year at corporate meeting, speech was given by The Man himself how company provides for the employees and families and how more of (....) you can have now.
The usual.
First time last year I noticed him say "you can't take it all with you". Something changed in the man. I think he starts getting it.
That sounds much like Maslow's hierarchy of needs people were posting about a few months back. The OP is talking about religion though. I tend to agree with you because I think it's hard to concentrate higher needs when all of your energy is put into trying to survive physically. Do you delineate between religious and spiritual? I see spiritual as having to do with creativity and insight. Religion seems the opposite to me as it's a prepackaged way of looking at the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality