U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM

524 posts, read 143,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, Hitler, a Christian, was part of that and so was Stalin, an atheist. Just to keep things in perspective.

But I was hoping to hear from folks like you what Christianity has done for the world.

I do believe atheism is best for everyone but I'm puzzled by your statement. You speak as though you have insider knowledge as an atheist believer - how else could you know it's a religion or belief position?
Which Church did Hitler go to? Any proof or factual info links to back up your ignorant assertions about Hitler?

If someone uses a religious faith for personal gain it does not make them a genuine Believer. This is what Hitler did as did many other tyrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM

3,878 posts, read 1,440,960 times
I don't see the point in trying to pit atheists against believers. Both rightfully have a place and reason for existence, without questioning or proving anything. I know I'm not taking the bait, because this is foolish and unnecessary. It's not some competition or game, where there will be a winner and prize handed out.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 PM

34,115 posts, read 8,760,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Albert Einstein was NOT an Atheist, you fail again. Come back with proof or facts that he was! Atheists are sick and self-loathing/serving people that use the faux-religion of Atheism to boost their ego and make them feel more intelligent than Believers because in FACT Believers have done infinitely more for the human race already than Atheists ever will.

There are good and not so good people in life, A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse. They are full of nonsense and ignorance.
We understand Einstein pretty well on this matter; you evidently don't.

"If the letter he wrote at the end of his life to an author of a book on Judaism was any indication, that attitude never did leave him. "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change this for me," he wrote in January of 1954, just a year before his death."

At most he believed in a cosmic order which may have approximated to some kind of intelligence. But here is no doubt that he had non time whatsoever for Religions, Holy Books or personal gods, and that puts him on the atheist side rather than yours.

And another bitn of chummy advice Don't post Einstein and the Atheist professor. Like lady Hope Grant's 'Darwin recanted" claim, it is false, on a Snopes rating of 0 out of 10.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't see the point in trying to pit atheists against believers. Both rightfully have a place and reason for existence, without questioning or proving anything. I'm not taking the bait, because it's unnecessary and pointless. This isn't a competition or game.
Nobody forced you to do anything here!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We understand Einstein pretty well on this matter; you evidently don't.

"If the letter he wrote at the end of his life to an author of a book on Judaism was any indication, that attitude never did leave him. "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change this for me," he wrote in January of 1954, just a year before his death."

At most he believed in a cosmic order which may have approximated to some kind of intelligence. But here is no doubt that he had non time whatsoever for Religions, Holy Books or personal gods, and that puts him on the atheist side rather than yours.

And another bitn of chummy advice Don't post Einstein and the Atheist professor. Like lady Hope Grant's 'Darwin recanted" claim, it is false, on a Snopes rating of 0 out of 10.

Read a book. Anyone who says that Einstein was an Atheist without a doubt like they knew him personally is an idiot!

"According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people.[30] Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres."[30][31] Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because "such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook"
Also,
"In 1940 Time magazine quoted Einstein lauding the Catholic Church for its role in opposing the Nazis:

Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly"

Read the link and learn something! Stop your pretentious and false rhetoric of propaganda!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...lbert_Einstein

Last edited by Objective Detective; 01-13-2018 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 PM

3,878 posts, read 1,440,960 times
Quote:
So what are you really trying to prove here? Regardless of what people say, we each make our own judgments and final decisions. Or are you King Judge that will take the comments, and announce your ruling as to who has proved their case?

Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 PM

34,115 posts, read 8,760,034 times
Quote:
For once I agree. Anyone who doesn't want to get sucked in to yet another debate on the rival merits of theism and atheism, may stay out and I fully understand that. I however know that the same points and false claims must be addressed and answered as best we can again and again and again and again and aagain and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and if you are getting tired of this, you can imagine how tired we all are of it.

But it must be done as the message don't get passed on the once. You have leaflet the skies to hope that people will listen.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
For once I agree. Anyone who doesn't want to get sucked in to yet another debate on the rival merits of theism and atheism, may stay out and I fully understand that. I however know that the same points and false claims must be addressed and answered as best we can again and again and again and again and aagain and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and if you are getting tired of this, you can imagine how tired we all are of it.

But it must be done as the message don't get passed on the once. You have leaflet the skies to hope that people will listen.
You have much opinion but little fact to back up your dark-sky pseudo religious views. you are not proving anything or positively influencing anyone with them as well.

Does the term live and let live mean anything to you?

Last edited by Objective Detective; 01-13-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 PM

18,741 posts, read 8,800,180 times
Quote:
Albert Einstein was NOT an Atheist, you fail again. Come back with proof or facts that he was! Atheists are sick and self-loathing/serving people that use the faux-religion of Atheism to boost their ego and make them feel more intelligent than Believers because in FACT Believers have done infinitely more for the human race already than Atheists ever will.

There are good and not so good people in life, A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse. They are full of nonsense and ignorance.
Nor was he a theist:

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously." (1947)

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve." (1952)

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends…. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions." (1954)

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.: (1954)

"In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast power in the hands of priests."

"Denominational traditions I can only consider historically and psychologically; they have no other significance for me." (1922)

You seem to prefer using what others said about Einstein, rather than use Einstein's own words. I think you broke a commandment.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM

18,741 posts, read 8,800,180 times
Quote:
Which Church did Hitler go to? Any proof or factual info links to back up your ignorant assertions about Hitler?

If someone uses a religious faith for personal gain it does not make them a genuine Believer. This is what Hitler did as did many other tyrants.
In a 1933 speech, he said that Christianity was the “foundation” of German values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or