U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 PM

6,861 posts, read 10,900,693 times

Advertisements

One reason I like Joel is because he is evolving away from the Southern Baptist preaching of his father's church, and is more in line with the New Thought beliefs that his father had begun to incorporate into his own preaching in his later years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 PM

23,029 posts, read 12,201,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
One reason I like Joel is because he is evolving away from the Southern Baptist preaching of his father's church, and is more in line with the New Thought beliefs that his father had begun to incorporate into his own preaching in his later years.
His dad was not Southern Baptist... he was more Pentecostal and charismatic.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 PM

I noted this is the Christian forum, so I will do it here.

I have been to a couple of Lakewood's church services just to see what it's about. It definitely is much more like a regular church service when you are there in person. The audio video technology is amazing. The speed that the offering is taken up is amazing with the number of people present.

His messages are often very light, but with the presentation of everything else - music, other ministries that present, it's not terrible. And there is a wide variety of people that attend, that probably wouldn't go to a regular church.

I'm not going to judge him... I will leave that to God, who sees the hearts and motivations of everyone. I know he has said some incorrect stuff in the past... who hasn't? And I'm not saying I agree with all that he preaches. It's in God's hands what He wants to do with him.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 PM

5,785 posts, read 9,001,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Think about Joel Osteen and the big grin he always has plastered on his face. Nobody I know grins like that in real life. I've also noticed the fake grin from other preachers. What is the purpose of the fake grin?
I don't think those grins are fake. Here's why....

1 Kenneth Copeland $760 million
2 Bishop TD Jakes $150 million
3 David Oyedepo $150 million
4 Pat Robertson $100 million
5 Benny Hinn $42 million
6 Joel Osteen $40 million
7 Creflo Dollar $27 million
8 Billy Graham $25 million
9 Rick Warren $25 million
10 Joyce Meyer $25 million
11 Juanita Bynum $10 million
12 Rev John Hagee $5 million
13 Paula White $5 million
14 Bishop Noel Jones $5 million
15 Louis Farrakhan $3 million

Top 15 Richest and most Successful Pastors In the World (We promise that #1 will shock you) - ETInside

Here's the irony. The following is what the biblical character Jesus had to say about the wealthy....

Matthew 19:21-24
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Not every person on the list above are Christian, but almost all of them are. The Christian God of the New Testament made his thoughts explicitly clear on this particular topic.

Anyway, I'd grin from ear-to-ear too if I got rich by simply reinforcing the beliefs that were indoctrinated into my fan base by their parents. Coincidentally, the Jesuit Order's motto was "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man". So true....

Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,570,784 times
Quote:
Joel Osteen has nothing to prove to anyone. People listen to him because he encourages them in their faith.

He's not "selling" a belief in a fear based system. Joel leaves people to take him or leave him as they prefer, and he doesn't feel a need to change anyone. I respect him greatly.
He has to prove to me that he'd be willing to take people in during a hurricane.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
He has to prove to me that he'd be willing to take people in during a hurricane.
Take them in to where exactly? Describe the place/building in detail.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
His dad was not Southern Baptist... he was more Pentecostal and charismatic.
True. His dad was also considered a "heretic" because he had made his church open to all races. That offended the Southern Baptists.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 AM

30,529 posts, read 6,411,847 times
Quote:
Take them in to where exactly? Describe the place/building in detail.
Big; empty; has a roof on.
Quote:
True. His dad was also considered a "heretic" because he had made his church open to all races. That offended the Southern Baptists.
Yep. he has no prejudice against anyone willng to part with their money.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about... one minute he is a Southern Baptist. The next minute he is offending the Southern Baptists...

You are just throwing stuff out there haphazardly because you hate Southern Baptists... I guess...

Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 AM

13,771 posts, read 7,651,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I noted this is the Christian forum, so I will do it here.
This is the Religion and Spirituality forum. Christianity is one level down from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality