U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:10 AM

7,643 posts, read 11,372,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What are you talking about... one minute he is a Southern Baptist. The next minute he is offending the Southern Baptists...

You are just throwing stuff out there haphazardly because you hate Southern Baptists... I guess...
No. Actually I already mentioned that his FATHER had started in this direction. His father had gone to the "heresy" long before Joel would ever preach.

You can't have it both ways. Did his father change or not?

Joel has always done this kind of teaching, I assume. Non-threatening. He is only paid by people because they enjoy his teaching, and they believe they are helped by it. I know this for a fact.

No one can accuse him of using "Hellfire Insurance" as a threat the way conservative Christians do, such as Billy Graham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Big; empty; has a roof on.

Yep. he has no prejudice against anyone willng to part with their money.
Maybe TRANSPONDER should publish his financial activity here.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 AM

13,157 posts, read 9,257,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Think about Joel Osteen and the big grin he always has plastered on his face. Nobody I know grins like that in real life. I've also noticed the fake grin from other preachers. What is the purpose of the fake grin?
Wouldn't you grin if a bunch of saps were filling your pockets with loot every hour of the day?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 979,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Wouldn't you grin if a bunch of saps were filling your pockets with loot every hour of the day?
I think that's what a lot of us are saying. The guy is a shyster who in no way represents what real Christianity is. He sells a message that the masses like to hear.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Why do people look at one person or sect and think it representative of an entire faith?
Because they're too lazy to do the work of discerning what that faith actually is.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No. Actually I already mentioned that his FATHER had started in this direction. His father had gone to the "heresy" long before Joel would ever preach.

You can't have it both ways. Did his father change or not?

Joel has always done this kind of teaching, I assume. Non-threatening. He is only paid by people because they enjoy his teaching, and they believe they are helped by it. I know this for a fact.

No one can accuse him of using "Hellfire Insurance" as a threat the way conservative Christians do, such as Billy Graham.
You're correct---daddy John Osteen kind of started off on the Word of Faith scheme. Joel (who has no formal religious training, btw) took over the family business.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're correct---daddy John Osteen kind of started off on the Word of Faith scheme. Joel (who has no formal religious training, btw) took over the family business.
Hmm. It's interesting that a preacher would need "formal religious training" to do something that should just be given by God. At least, that's the impression I get from reading the stories in the Bible.

Joel is more of a true Biblical preacher than you would admit. He brings good news, and he uses stories and illustrations. Just like Jesus did.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
He has to prove to me that he'd be willing to take people in during a hurricane.
Matt M,

Can you please provide a detailed description in your own words of that so-called shelter that he has control over?

Could you also publish your own charitable activities here, and let us compare them to Joel's?

Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 AM

3,382 posts, read 1,093,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's selling himself---his job is to get you to send him money. To do that, he makes empty promises that God just loves his listeners and wants them to be healthy, wealthy, and wise (no matter who they are, what they believe, or what they've done). And the gullible eat it up.
Osteen simply tells people what they want to hear- that is what con men do. I am a Born Again Christian, but I do not support anyone that preaches only one side of the coin.Moderator cut: Post your Politics in the Politics forum.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-17-2018 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Politics removed

Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Hmm. It's interesting that a preacher would need "formal religious training" to do something that should just be given by God. At least, that's the impression I get from reading the stories in the Bible.

Joel is more of a true Biblical preacher than you would admit. He brings good news, and he uses stories and illustrations. Just like Jesus did.
What stories? You do realize that the disciples had 3 years of Jesus training them, in addition to most of them being educated in the Hebrew Scriptures, right? Or that Paul was a learned discipled of Gamaliel, a great rabbi? Or that the commands to be an elder is that one must be a seasoned Christian man who is able to teach the Scriptures soundly? Or that when Paul, Priscilla and Aquila met Apollo, and he did not accurately teach it, they took him aside and taught him?

Nowhere do we see in Scripture that anyone should simply expect to stand up teach without first learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or