U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM

23,042 posts, read 12,222,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No. Actually I already mentioned that his FATHER had started in this direction. His father had gone to the "heresy" long before Joel would ever preach.

You can't have it both ways. Did his father change or not?

Joel has always done this kind of teaching, I assume. Non-threatening. He is only paid by people because they enjoy his teaching, and they believe they are helped by it. I know this for a fact.

No one can accuse him of using "Hellfire Insurance" as a threat the way conservative Christians do, such as Billy Graham.
I don't care about his dad. I was making the correction because he wasn't Southern Baptist.

And yes - people will support what they like. This is unsurprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM

12,881 posts, read 8,832,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What stories? You do realize that the disciples had 3 years of Jesus training them, in addition to most of them being educated in the Hebrew Scriptures, right?
Where did they learn to write highly complicated Greek?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM

2,887 posts, read 629,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Where did they learn to write highly complicated Greek?
Have you read any of the Greek manuscripts? It's interesting, we can read John and see a completely different style than Peter, or Paul. It wasn't all that uncommon for them to read and write Greek...as it was the vernacular. But some were more educated than others, and they did have different styles. Even the less educated could write it to a degree.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 AM

30,595 posts, read 6,449,167 times
True enough. An educated Jew could speak and write Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek and probably Latin. But let's stay on topic, yes?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 PM

4,241 posts, read 3,398,095 times
I do recall that the pastor of our small town Baptist church rarely, if ever smiled. He usually walked in with the choir and had a very dour looking scowl on his face, which never left
He often spent most of the time yelling and screaming like an idiot, trying to bully and scare people into following him......or else.
But grinning? no way. Even in the church directory, where we were all required to be photographed and listed by name, he had a very plain non smiling look, not quite stern but certainly not pleasant.
As I recall nothing about that man was pleasant, and I only speculate to this day where he is now as he has disappeared from all traces

But then again, I recall as a child wondering why people in church never smiled. As I got older, I understood why depressed, beaten and downtrodden people do not smile. People of that church never had much to smile about.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 7,672,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I do recall that the pastor of our small town Baptist church rarely, if ever smiled. He usually walked in with the choir and had a very dour looking scowl on his face, which never left
He often spent most of the time yelling and screaming like an idiot, trying to bully and scare people into following him......or else.
But grinning? no way. Even in the church directory, where we were all required to be photographed and listed by name, he had a very plain non smiling look, not quite stern but certainly not pleasant.
As I recall nothing about that man was pleasant, and I only speculate to this day where he is now as he has disappeared from all traces

But then again, I recall as a child wondering why people in church never smiled. As I got older, I understood why depressed, beaten and downtrodden people do not smile. People of that church never had much to smile about.
Things weren't quite that bleak in my particular tribe, but the general bias was somewhere between dour and resigned. I suppose we lacked the fire-and-brimstone hectoring but still had the vibe one might describe as "lowly worm slogging through this wasteland of an existence persevering to the end in the hope of finally being happy in heaven".

Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 AM

406 posts, read 76,091 times
Quote:
I think that's what a lot of us are saying. The guy is a shyster who in no way represents what real Christianity is. He sells a message that the masses like to hear.
Sort of like old times, when ̶S̶a̶u̶l̶ Paul wandered around selling a message that masses wanted to hear, right?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 356,307 times
Preachers grin for the same reason that pickpockets usually work with a partner. It is to distract you from the theft of your cash.

Osteen and others like him make millions selling nonrefundable tickets on a plane to paradise that may never arrive or takeoff.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:37 PM

2,887 posts, read 629,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Sort of like old times, when ̶S̶a̶u̶l̶ Paul wandered around selling a message that masses wanted to hear, right?
And he was eventually martyred for it, beheaded, in fact. Think Joel will face that?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

406 posts, read 76,091 times
Quote:
And he was eventually martyred for it, beheaded, in fact. Think Joel will face that?
Martyred? Only place that is shown is in the apocrypha (Acts of Paul), which I thought non-Catholics didn't accept. Any other discussion written is hearsay at best. Tradition doesn't provide proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality