U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Georgia
3,516 posts, read 1,213,052 times
Reputation: 2647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Sort of like old times, when ̶S̶a̶u̶l̶ Paul wandered around selling a message that masses wanted to hear, right?
They really wanted to hear it! That's why Paul was stoned, beaten jailed and killed for expressing his Faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 PM
 
2,823 posts, read 501,624 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
They really wanted to hear it! That's why Paul was stoned, beaten jailed and killed for expressing his Faith.
But, you must agree, that any faith has no rights. Ideas have no rights. Political viewpoints have no rights. Philosophies have no rights. Religions have no rights.

Only people have rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 17 days ago)
 
5,299 posts, read 1,334,144 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Martyred? Only place that is shown is in the apocrypha (Acts of Paul), which I thought non-Catholics didn't accept. Any other discussion written is hearsay at best. Tradition doesn't provide proof.
Read his later letters, such as 2 Timothy, you can tell he's getting ready for it. He knew his time was short.

As for church tradition? I'm happy to accept tradition for what it's worth--tradition. It's not inspired Scripture, and is not authoritative as such. But based on the fact that other apostles were martyred, I have no problem believing that Paul was, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 708,765 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Read his later letters, such as 2 Timothy, you can tell he's getting ready for it. He knew his time was short.

As for church tradition? I'm happy to accept tradition for what it's worth--tradition. It's not inspired Scripture, and is not authoritative as such. But based on the fact that other apostles were martyred, I have no problem believing that Paul was, as well.
When you say fact, you must have a very loose definition in mind. There is no evidence which proves the apostles even existed and nothing supports your claim that it is a fact that they were martyred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 17 days ago)
 
5,299 posts, read 1,334,144 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
When you say fact, you must have a very loose definition in mind. There is no evidence which proves the apostles even existed and nothing supports your claim that it is a fact that they were martyred.
Well....let's see. We know that they were already starting to get arrested in Acts 7. Stephen was killed. In Acts 12 we see Herod Agrippa killing James...and he saw that people liked it, so he arrested Peter with the intent of doing the same to him.

We read the letters of the apostles, we see that they allude to their deaths...why would we NOT believe that the church histories are correct? What evidence do you have to suggest that Paul was living large, fleecing people as Joel does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 708,765 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Well....let's see. We know that they were already starting to get arrested in Acts 7. Stephen was killed. In Acts 12 we see Herod Agrippa killing James...and he saw that people liked it, so he arrested Peter with the intent of doing the same to him.

We read the letters of the apostles, we see that they allude to their deaths...why would we NOT believe that the church histories are correct? What evidence do you have to suggest that Paul was living large, fleecing people as Joel does?
The Bible is not evidence of anything. It is like claiming that Moby Dick proves the existence of Ishmael, Pequod and Captain Ahab.

Islam's holy text says that Mohammed flew to heaven on a horse. Why would you not believe that is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 17 days ago)
 
5,299 posts, read 1,334,144 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The Bible is not evidence of anything. It is like claiming that Moby Dick proves the existence of Ishmael, Pequod and Captain Ahab.

Islam's holy text says that Mohammed flew to heaven on a horse. Why would you not believe that is correct?
Becuase the Quran is not inspired, and teaches contrary to the Bible.

I'm assuming you believe Julius Caesar existed? Or Alexander the Great? There is more reason to believe Jesus and his apostles lived than either of them. The Bible is a collection of 66 different books. 27 of them directly attest to Jesus in the NT. Do you have 27 different sources for either Julius Caesar or Alexander?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 708,765 times
Reputation: 3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistfundie View Post
becuase the quran is not inspired, and teaches contrary to the bible.

I'm assuming you believe julius caesar existed? Or alexander the great? There is more reason to believe jesus and his apostles lived than either of them. The bible is a collection of 66 different books. 27 of them directly attest to jesus in the nt. Do you have 27 different sources for either julius caesar or alexander?
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 04:57 PM
 
7,868 posts, read 6,675,483 times
Reputation: 1371
He got the joy of the Holy Spirit ... as people who deny Christ will never experience this sweet Joy of God in their Spirit .... But believers know that their lives sometimes may be temporary hard but the spirit of Christ who is the comforter bring the Joy of God with out even trying ........ Then the unbelievers through their demonic spirit would say ``take that grin of your face who do you think you are`` ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 17 days ago)
 
5,299 posts, read 1,334,144 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
lmao
So that is a "Gee, BF....I didn't realize that......"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top