U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM

200 posts, read 85,023 times

Advertisements

Think about Joel Osteen and the big grin he always has plastered on his face. Nobody I know grins like that in real life. I've also noticed the fake grin from other preachers. What is the purpose of the fake grin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

2,131 posts, read 650,420 times

Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM

14,027 posts, read 8,061,034 times
What would you have them do -- frown? Glower? Grimace?

I've never met a successful salesperson that does those things.

Nor would I say "no one in real life does that'. I've met people with a permanent grin-rictus glued to their face. As well as others for whom it seems less forced / strained and more genuine.

I would say it's more the total package -- constant smile, doesn't come across as genuine, doesn't reach the eyes, actual message is discordant with the presentation, etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 AM

866 posts, read 276,384 times
They grin for the same reason that car salesman and the guys trying to sell you Ginsu knives at 2 am grin.

A lit of people find that garbage smells better if the person serving it up is smiling all the while.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM

31,584 posts, read 7,291,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Think about Joel Osteen and the big grin he always has plastered on his face. Nobody I know grins like that in real life. I've also noticed the fake grin from other preachers. What is the purpose of the fake grin?
I sorta got a hint of what I dubbed the "Big Wide -open smile of deceit". First noticed in a sitcom I hated, so I have no idea why I was watching it but the actress had to deliver a line - 'Why don't we do (something or other) with a big persuasive smile that screamed 'I'm selling these kids something that they are not likely to want".

I saw the same in a Mel Gibson Vietnam war film where it had the old Jack Chick studios production of a kid gradually being talked into Faith. "I know God has a plan for me.." and Mel says 'Why don't we ask Him?" (transl -get on your knees and brainwash yourself into faith). Andf there it was. The Big persuasibe smile.

And again, watching a documentary on the Falklands business - the attack on Goose Green where the commander bluffed the defenders into surrender. And damn' it there it was again as he spun us sone tale that he prayed to God who told him how to bluff the Argentinian garrison. Like God cares who won the Falklands thing - and the commander was a Catholic, go figure.

Yep, Carlin put his finger on it. This smile is the smile of a used -car saleman peddling you a flivver that he knows isn't worth buying.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-15-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM

2,651 posts, read 882,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Osteen smiles because is happy, duh He's lived a great life, in a great area, with lots of fun and nice people surrounding him. I actually know people in his church, and people in the church's long and rich history. Great people! I've also see Joel in private with one or two people, and he's exactly the same as in front of millions of people.

Others smile like that too, in all walks of life and of all skin colors. You must live in one hell of a miserable place to not know or have experienced that. What, the northeast?

He's just one example of the tens or hundreds of thousands of minsters/pastors across the country. Many don't smile as much, and some rarely smile. No set rule or pattern; no common thread.

There's no issue here, other than perhaps jealousy by the OP.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-15-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Osteen smiles because is happy, duh He's lived a great life, in a great area, with lots of fun and nice people surrounding him. I actually know people in his church, and people in the church's long and rich history. Great people! I've also see Joel in private with one or two people, and he's exactly the same as in front of millions of people.

He's just one example of the tens or hundreds of thousands of minsters/pastors across the country. Many don't smile as much, and some rarely smile. No set rule or pattern; no common thread.

Others smile like that too, in all walks of life and of all skin colors. You must live in one hell of a miserable place to not know or have experienced that. What, the northeast?

There's no issue here, other than perhaps jealousy by the OP.
Lol. Hey we smile up here in the Northeast too.

I have known pastors of all shapes and sizes and temperaments and they are not all oily televangelists. In fact most aren't like that and don't aspire to it. At least not in the upper midwest anyway.

I don't appreciate stereotypes being used on atheists, so I'm not going to use them on theists.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM

9,260 posts, read 12,607,993 times
I agree with Thoreau. If a person is happy, genuinely happy, that person will emanate happiness and smile is the easiest natural manifestation of this.
Question is not in that. let happy people be happy and poison others with their happiness.
But there is another smile, smile that does not reside in the soul, it is not in the eyes. As eyes are mirror of the soul. that is the salesman smile. Fake and phony.
There is a beautiful scene in Better call Saul. I forgot all the names but there is scene when Howard Hamlin is walking down his firm hall with Kim Wexler, chastising her for something. they are headed to a meeting with some prominent client. Initially, Howard's face is that os a stern business owner, cut words, leashing Kim. Then, instantaneously, right before entering the conference room, his entire demeanor changes. It's like someone turned a switch, that phony sleazy sales smile went on his face.
Sure. I agree with post 2 - should it have been that phony smile. Joel is either a GREAT actor - or his real mccoy. And it's not applicable to him. Also, there always is Billy Graham. I don't think man even knew how to smile.

Would you prefer this then:

Last edited by ukrkoz; 01-15-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 PM

7,202 posts, read 11,181,247 times
Joel Osteen has nothing to prove to anyone. People listen to him because he encourages them in their faith.

He's not "selling" a belief in a fear based system. Joel leaves people to take him or leave him as they prefer, and he doesn't feel a need to change anyone. I respect him greatly.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Joel Osteen has nothing to prove to anyone. People listen to him because he encourages them in their faith.

He's not "selling" a belief in a fear based system. Joel leaves people to take him or leave him as they prefer, and he doesn't feel a need to change anyone. I respect him greatly.
Osteen indeed is not selling a fear based system. He's selling soft-core prosperity gospel. Why, he's not even "against" gays, provided they agree with him that homosexuality is a "sin", he won't preach about it. Talk about damning with faint praise. But no ... Osteen is not an old-style sawdust trail firebrand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or