U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 PM

30,604 posts, read 6,460,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nate was answering a question, NOT asking one, Arq. Of course, he sees a problem here.
Right. It Looked like he was saying that the delusion was invalid (assuming one supposes it was - if you believe in yours why wouldn't you believe in his?) and his actions wrong...but what's the problem? There wasn't any harm done, was there?

If he'd have gone on to explain what the harm was, that would have saved me a post. But I'm awaiting his confirmation that your reading was right and that mine was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

13,824 posts, read 7,677,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nate was answering a question, NOT asking one, Arq. Of course, he sees a problem here.
Uh .... Arq QUOTED a QUESTION and RESPONDED to it.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

13,479 posts, read 5,935,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Uh .... Arq QUOTED a QUESTION and RESPONDED to it.
Uh, Nate highlighted a question and responded to it.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

6,010 posts, read 3,064,941 times
Many people use their supposed religion to cover for their unhinged behavior. Some will say, oh those people are not really Christian. But many are.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

3,760 posts, read 1,096,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people use their supposed religion to cover for their unhinged behavior. Some will say, oh those people are not really Christian. But many are.
For some I think religion is the reason for the beliefs that lead to unhinged behavior. How long could you stay sane if someone had convinced you that you were part of a small elite group and Satan and the government was out to get you? Plus they isolate with other like minded people and the belief gets reinforced.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

1,746 posts, read 588,126 times
Being "active" does not equate to being "wise" or "intelligent". There are plenty of active thieves, active scammers, active scumball politicians, etc. God wants us active, but also using our brains for the improvement of ourselves and those around us. The end result is as important as the activeness.

People who are active in a knee-jerk and impulsive way are often the biggest hazards to society. And that includes many nutcases who use religion to justify their actions, including abortion clinic bombings, harassing groups they don't like, and 9/11. It's all part of the same personal irresponsibility. God/Allah/whoever isn't going to be the scapegoat.

Last edited by Thoreau424; Yesterday at 11:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

7,169 posts, read 2,899,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Everyone who questions why atheists are active and vocal about the influence of religion in this country needs to read this.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/judge-inte...164050271.html

"A Texas state judge says that God called on him to intervene and ask the jury to deliver a not guilty verdict in a sex trafficking case.

The Comal County Judge Jack Robison reportedly told jurors last week that when “God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it.”

Robison asked jurors for a not guilty verdict in the case of a woman accused of trafficking an underage girl, according to The Dallas Morning News."
Really, and exactly how did religion influence anything in this case? The jury still returned a guilty verdict. All I see here is one judge out of many Christian judges across this land who unethically tried to influence the jury vote. The problem with these type of news stories is we don't get all the facts. The judge could have been suffering from un-diagnosed dementia. We don't even get an explanation why the judge felt a not guilty verdict was needed. Christians should be aware that we live in an age of false Christs and you don't just blindly follow a direction that comes into your mind. Satan can deceive us that way. God will never contradict His Word and thus never tell us to do something that is immoral and wrong.

IF we go the other direction and have atheists in law making and judicial positions then we have set forth a course down a foggy road of progressive moralism by which outside of the evidence, a judge rules based on his consciousness which is something that evolve with culture and popular opinion. A natural law which our founding fathers including Jefferson supported is the only way to preserve morality and fairness in our laws.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Uh, Nate highlighted a question and responded to it.
Perhaps Mystic is right and I misunderstood that you did see q problem with the Judge's actions.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Really, and exactly how did religion influence anything in this case? The jury still returned a guilty verdict. All I see here is one judge out of many Christian judges across this land who unethically tried to influence the jury vote. The problem with these type of news stories is we don't get all the facts. The judge could have been suffering from un-diagnosed dementia. We don't even get an explanation why the judge felt a not guilty verdict was needed. Christians should be aware that we live in an age of false Christs and you don't just blindly follow a direction that comes into your mind. Satan can deceive us that way. God will never contradict His Word and thus never tell us to do something that is immoral and wrong.

IF we go the other direction and have atheists in law making and judicial positions then we have set forth a course down a foggy road of progressive moralism by which outside of the evidence, a judge rules based on his consciousness which is something that evolve with culture and popular opinion. A natural law which our founding fathers including Jefferson supported is the only way to preserve morality and fairness in our laws.
Jeff, the Jury had to defy the Judge in order to see that justice was done. That' means the Judge really ought to be removed. I'm glad at least that you see that you can't find much of a difference between thinking that God is speaking to you and dementia. I can't, either.

Sit and have a think about what you know, deep down inside. It didn't even occur to you to think that, if God told him so, he must be right. God's morality, not human morality. You don't really believe it, do you? No more than we do.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Yesterday at 12:10 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

1,482 posts, read 358,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

How are we supposed to tell when a Christian is sane or suffering from dementia?

When you tell me that God will punish you for baking a cake for the wrong person that sounds pretty demented to me. How do we separate the crazy from the normal when it all sounds crazy to someone outside the fundie faith bubble?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality